Eklund Rumor: Domi back to MTL ?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Cool. That does, however, fail to actually address the "lack of useful information" issue.

Imagine, for example, a Bolts fan opting to evalute Bergevin's work exclusively via the one notable move with that team involving theirs - the Drouin-for-Sergachev trade. You're kind of doing that with the Jackets here, and coming up with similarly absurd conclusions.

Also at the moment the Jackets are arguably ahead on the PLD trade mostly thanks to Roslovic's breakout, but that wouldn't be known unless you follow the Jackets - or unless you pay attention to Jets fans who do follow the Jackets and are lamenting that it happened.
absurd conclusions that if u lose your last two blockbusters badly ur job should be on the line?

Thats not that absurd. Duchene was a backfire too.

I guess that Panarin trade earned him some run way in CBJ

xxsciroccoxx

Dec 17, 2010
I think it's less "because you're a Leafs fan" and more "because you came into a thread about Montreal and made a comment of a type that has long been used to troll Habs fans about their roster". The only thing your Leafs affiliation affects is how folks are retaliating.
DING DING DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!

Reactions: viceroy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This is more made up than usual

Kekalainen would not do this. A GMs job is built around optics. The best optics is to win a lot of games, but there are other concerns. You dont trade Anderson for Domi, and then trade Domi back to the same team for a reduced value. It just looks awful. It gives your haters too juicy a narrative

They traded the last year of rights to Anderson (Jarmo didn't want to pay Andy's demands long term) for the last two years of rights to Max Domi. So yeah Domi has disappointed but there's no monumental fleece-job here.

A GMs job is not to build around optics. I hope they fire anyone who thinks like that. Just take an L when you have to take an L and move on.

after trading Anderson and PLD for Domi and Laine (who have been making negative headlines since they were acquired) that GM should be canned. Two rough and tumble guys who play to win versus two perimeter players with egos. fml

Jarmo has done a lot of masterful work on the positive side of the ledger, so he shouldn't be canned, but you're right that those are two big whiffs. He should have paid Josh Anderson and he should have traded PLD (he didn't have a choice) after waiting for a better offer.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They traded the last year of rights to Anderson (Jarmo didn't want to pay Andy's demands long term) for the last two years of rights to Max Domi. So yeah Domi has disappointed but there's no monumental fleece-job here.

A GMs job is not to build around optics. I hope they fire anyone who thinks like that. Just take an L when you have to take an L and move on.

If you start looking at a GM's job in terms of optics, a lot of what they do makes more and more sense. It explains a lot of the quirks of moves, like how superstars almost always get traded out of conference. But it applies to almost every part of the job and explains a lot that seems odd about certain decisions. It applies to all GMs, good or bad.

Maybe in an ideal world, you'd be right but the world isnt ideal. The perception of the team can actually cause the team to under perform or over perform. If you give ammo to the detractors, it can tip the scales against you, and it can affect which FAs sign or re-sign and even affect the sports psychology of the team. Optics are huge.

And btw, like I said, there's no better optics than making a winning roster. So it's not exactly fire worthy to take that philosophy.

Or you could take the tact that winning is the ultimate philosophy, and optics are an important concern in that. Either way, I doubt Columbus would trade Domi back to Montreal at reduced value. The optics are terrible in it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If you start looking at a GM's job in terms of optics, a lot of what they do makes more and more sense. It explains a lot of the quirks of moves, like how superstars almost always get traded out of conference. But it applies to almost every part of the job and explains a lot that seems odd about certain decisions. It applies to all GMs, good or bad.

Maybe in an ideal world, you'd be right but the world isnt ideal. The perception of the team can actually cause the team to under perform or over perform. If you give ammo to the detractors, it can tip the scales against you, and it can affect which FAs sign or re-sign and even affect the sports psychology of the team. Optics are huge.

And btw, like I said, there's no better optics than making a winning roster. So it's not exactly fire worthy to take that philosophy.

Or you could take the tact that winning is the ultimate philosophy, and optics are an important concern in that. Either way, I doubt Columbus would trade Domi back to Montreal at reduced value. The optics are terrible in it.

Domi wasn't a costly acquisition though. It's too small of an L to matter.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Imagine being up 3-1 in the playoffs and losing in 7?

and would still beat the Leafs in the playoffs in humiliating fashion

Tries to troll Montreal fans

Gets trolled back harder

Cries.

LOl.......you would think leaf fans like this, would maybe lay a little lower these days...
Nothing I said was trolling or attacking the Habs roster, I just shared a fact that they would have a lot of short players on their roster if they added Domi back.

You folks must have been bullied a lot as kids and now have to take out your frustrations on the internet?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Domi wasn't a costly acquisition though. It's too small of an L to matter.
I disagree. The stakes of that trade were large since we are talking about top six players in their prime, albeit ones that maybe needed a change of scenery. That drops the value a bit, but they are still players that many teams would want. The valuation is also updated in that Anderson was part of a cup run that got to the finals. There will be eyes on any Domi trade, and JK will be judged harshly on the return.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I disagree. The stakes of that trade were large since we are talking about top six players in their prime, albeit ones that maybe needed a change of scenery. That drops the value a bit, but they are still players that many teams would want. The valuation is also updated in that Anderson was part of a cup run that got to the finals. There will be eyes on any Domi trade, and JK will be judged harshly on the return.

Yeah I've noticed that the trade has gotten a lot of attention because Domi was popular in Montreal and Anderson has gone on to be a popular player in Montreal (I'm very happy that more people get to appreciate him). But from a Jackets perspective they had one year left of control over Josh Anderson and didn't want to pay him $35m, and he was coming off of a 1 goal season so a return of like a couple 2nd rounders seemed more in line. The expectation was low and the result is likely low. In between there was a glimmer of hope that Max Domi would be a great fit but that didn't happen. Oh well, we are where we started.

I get what you are saying that perceptions matter, but the Jackets have already bottomed out hard this year. Everyone knows that the team Jarmo built did not function. He can't hide from that or blame anyone else. I think the damage has already been done and anything positive you can get out of Domi on the ice or via trade assets is going to be a positive.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah I've noticed that the trade has gotten a lot of attention because Domi was popular in Montreal and Anderson has gone on to be a popular player in Montreal (I'm very happy that more people get to appreciate him). But from a Jackets perspective they had one year left of control over Josh Anderson and didn't want to pay him $35m, and he was coming off of a 1 goal season so a return of like a couple 2nd rounders seemed more in line. The expectation was low and the result is likely low. In between there was a glimmer of hope that Max Domi would be a great fit but that didn't happen. Oh well, we are where we started.

I get what you are saying that perceptions matter, but the Jackets have already bottomed out hard this year. Everyone knows that the team Jarmo built did not function. He can't hide from that or blame anyone else. I think the damage has already been done and anything positive you can get out of Domi on the ice or via trade assets is going to be a positive.
I still say that there's lots of pitfalls here in sending Domi back to Montreal. I see that there is some context that muddies the problems, but most fans don't understand that. They will be eager to bash the team due to the general lack of success, and will view the Anderson trade as the Blue Jackets giving an important power forward to a team that went on a cup run. Sending Domi back to that team at reduced value will seem like a grifting.

Especially if you are trading Domi at reduced value, JK will prefer to send him out west so the fans don't have to see reminders of getting ripped off. To see Montreal with both Domi and Anderson being successful would become focal point of criticism, fair or not.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I though Habs fans would be more excited about the chance to get a “70 point player” for a reasonable price.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
In evaluating a GM results, you have to take the environment and conditions into account.

JK as a GM is maybe in one of the 3-4 worst situation in the league, with Ottawa, Arizona and Buffalo.

I personally think he's doing a good job considering the conditions he's working in.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
This is more made up than usual

Kekalainen would not do this. A GMs job is built around optics. The best optics is to win a lot of games, but there are other concerns. You dont trade Anderson for Domi, and then trade Domi back to the same team for a reduced value. It just looks awful. It gives your haters too juicy a narrative
True, but management could be looking at it with the thought in mind that Domi's value might go down even more if he struggles again this year. We need a big strong centerman though, which has been missing ever since PLD left, and I'm not sure who the Habs could provide that would fit this.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
It'd be funny if they brought back Domi and Galchenyuk to close off the Galchenyuk-Domi-Anderson trade tree. Although I guess there are some branches off the Galchenyuk arm of it.

Reactions: Durvann

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
no desire to see domi return to montreal . hes not a center and we have better wingers . i personally would have given danault the LA contract and signed hoffman and savard . hoffman would replace tatar . savard at 31 will replace a 36 year old weber . 1 power play quarterback and we would be set . ( ghost with 50% retention )

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
True, but management could be looking at it with the thought in mind that Domi's value might go down even more if he struggles again this year. We need a big strong centerman though, which has been missing ever since PLD left, and I'm not sure who the Habs could provide that would fit this.

We won't be getting a big strong center back for Domi. Probably not any roster player.

I think the main question is whether you're fine with running with Domi this year and trying to sell maybe a bit higher at the deadline, or would you rather have that roster spot now for a younger player that is part of the future. I doubt Domi garners a 1st pick even though I expect him to play well, so it really isn't about the return to my mind. It's about when you want to move on.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Nothing I said was trolling or attacking the Habs roster, I just shared a fact that they would have a lot of short players on their roster if they added Domi back.

You folks must have been bullied a lot as kids and now have to take out your frustrations on the internet?
Or Maybe your shitty take has been said for years now about the Habs and the fans have had enough and took a shot at the team you support? Ever thought about that? It isn't about us being "bullied" or taking anything out on you its the fact you and others have made the same stupid short joke for YEARS and its dumb and petty considering your team just f***ing lost to the Habs when your team was so damn stacked.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Or Maybe your shitty take has been said for years now about the Habs and the fans have had enough and took a shot at the team you support? Ever thought about that? It isn't about us being "bullied" or taking anything out on you its the fact you and others have made the same stupid short joke for YEARS and its dumb and petty considering your team just f***ing lost to the Habs when your team was so damn stacked.
It was not a joke nor a shot at the team. Sensitive I guess

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I'm not sure 4-5 is a lot. They had at least that many last season and were one of the biggest teams in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad