Domi appreciation thread (is there one?)

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think Domi playing on Matthews wing the last few games should show enough of why we should probably resign him.

Yes, some of the plays have been a little too telegraphed, but it's also obvious that the Leafs have been overly trying to get Matthews his 60th for the last couple of games. Matthews has had a large quantity of grade A chances in that time, and a lot of them have been created by Max Domi.

I'm not trying to "compare" Marner & Domi, but the reality is, if you're Auston Matthews being paid $13.25m a season, you need to be able to produce big numbers WITHOUT an $11m winger stapled to you. Let's say Domi costs you $4m.... if his presence means Marner can carry sombody else's game, that probably well worth it.

Plus, his versatility to also be a 3rd line centre is pretty useful, especially considering Tavares' decline.

If it were me, come playoff time, drawing up a theoretical playoff lineup, I'd want Marner with Tavares, Matthews with Domi on his wing, and also Nylander away from Marner/Matthews, likely on a line centered by Max Domi.

If "there's not enough Max Domi to go around", that should say something as to whether or not he should be re-signed.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
1000080963.jpg

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
How awesome was it to see Domi drop two beautiful dimes to Matthews and then drop his gloves and absolutely destroy that rookie from NJ who accidentally bumped into Matthews?

This is exactly why I said Domi needed to be the Leafs #1 FA target last summer. He’s the type of player the Leafs have been missing because Kyle Dumbass insisted on signing feeble gimps like Al Kerfoot and Sneaky Pete Engvall.

Love Domi’s game.

IMG_1362.jpeg

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Move on from Kampf and make it work

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
Marner - Tavares - Nylander
Knies - Jarnkrok - Robertson/McMann
Dewar - Holmberg - Reaves

Last edited:

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Best thing about Domi on Matthews wing is that Marner's asking price is hopefully dropping every time a tap-in is put on his stick in the slot.

Second best is that Matthews seems to mimmick his linemates and Domi plays with a burr in his saddle which seems to get Matthews playing the same.

Reeeally hope we can re-sign him for 3-4 years at a reasonable cap hit as he's been a great pickup by Tre

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Anything reasonable is fine for me. Seems Domi's bounced around a lot and he's playing like he actually wants this to be his home.
I think he'd be willing to take a bit of a discount to stay. I'd be more than happy with 4.5X5 but it could possibly be a little more rich than that. 47 pt season to this point and he started slow.

Anything in the 4M range and it HAS to be done.

The team needs to find a way to get away from Kampf. I think he still has some value, leafs can not afford that for a 4C tho. It was an awful signing.

Reactions: IPS and bax

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not sure why Domi was focused on Marchand, that seems to be playing right into Marchands hands.

If Domi wants to be the pest that makes a difference he should be focusing on Pastrnak.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
"Yeah, I'm sorry Mitch, we can't re-sign you. We're bringing back Max and we can't afford both of you."

Not serious, but ... Kind of serious.
Domi @ $4-5+M (with leftover cap space to fill out the D) or Mitch at $11M+? Easy call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad