Domi appreciation thread (is there one?)

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Just wanted to say this guy has been a pleasant surprise. Lots of speed, grit and as shown last night some finish to his game. I'll be the first to admit I thought he was a bad pickup over the summer and I thought I was proven right when they miscast him as a winger. As soon as they moved him to centre he started to shine. As an added bonus, in every single scrum you can see no one wants any part of him. It seems genetics plays a part.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Appreciation threads are a really bad idea IMO, can we perhaps change the thread title and make it simply a discussion thread?

That said, I like Domi a lot, hoping he sticks around. :)

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Agreed about Domi. The poor guy is sick of moving around and wants to be a Leaf too. He should be (at the right price).

Also, it looks like all of the old rumours of his difficult personality were either based on past immature behaviours or were complete exaggerations of half-truths. He appears well liked, is a team player, and selfless on the ice. I actually feel bad that I also bought into this BS.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He's such a great teammate too, had no idea he'd be such a galvanizing presence. Also, so glad we have some different flavours, this team was so vanilla, I love the personality adds. MUCH more likeable group to me, and sticking up for each other, Domi has played a pivotal role.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He's been great. He’s actually 3rd on the Leafs in even strength points per 60 (behind only Marner and Matthews, and actually above Willy!), which is extra impressive because he generally doesn’t play with our elite wingers: NHL Stats

Plus he’s feisty in scrums, sticks up for teammates, injects some much needed speed into our lineup (we’ve gotten kinda slow), has been fine defensively (it’s still a weakness, but more a small weakness vs. a large one), and is decent on draws (50.7%, again nothing special but fine).

For $3 mil, getting a middle 6 centre who makes a tonne happen offensively, brings speed and a nasty edge while being passable in terms of defence and faceoffs, that’s nice. Honestly I think he’s a slightly better overall player than Tavares at this point, who makes $11 mil …

The downsides are that, while his D and faceoffs are acceptable, they’re nothing special. You can’t use him on the PK, and he’s not a great choice for D-zone faceoffs against tough competition. That limits his ice time - no PK, needs slight sheltering at ES, and while he might make PP1 on some teams, he’s a PP2 guy on the Leafs, which means minimal PP time overall. Plus he’s a bit on the small side (although very strong, bulldog build like his dad). But you aren’t getting a perfect player for $3 mil, I’m very happy with what he’s bringing at this price tag, and would love to re-sign him to a multi-year deal at a similar AAV.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I've liked him and if he wants some stability, I would be ok with a multi-year deal at a reasonable cap hit .. maybe 3-4 years @ $3-$3.5 AAV?

Once JT expires the Leafs will have to restructure their forward group, so a centre like Domi that can provide some offense for cheap would be valuable.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Just wanted to say this guy has been a pleasant surprise. Lots of speed, grit and as shown last night some finish to his game. I'll be the first to admit I thought he was a bad pickup over the summer and I thought I was proven right when they miscast him as a winger. As soon as they moved him to centre he started to shine. As an added bonus, in every single scrum you can see no one wants any part of him. It seems genetics plays a part.
Good thread, not enough appreciation is given to players around here.
Hated the signing, but he’s been pretty good.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Max Domi has become my favourite Leaf this year. As soon as he played his first game at Center, you could see that he was a player.

And he better be here for multiple seasons. He’s the kind of player that’s been missing from this team for so long. Also for all the talk of ‘what it means to be a maple leaf’, he’s Gets it.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Domi has his flaws but he’s very in tune with the pulse of Leaf Nation. His two best outings lately have been on HNIC and vs Boston. He understands the stage he’s on and he’s stepping up.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Anyone think he would resign here? not sure what the Leafs will be able to offer contract wise.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
I said in another thread I hope he stays for a few years. Exactly the type of player this team needed. Good signing by Tre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad