Domi appreciation thread (is there one?)

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Overall, he's been great, especially the last month. Let's be honest though; this wouldn't have been (much of) an appreciation thread if it started at the beginning of December.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I've wanted Domi on the Leafs for a long time.

His tenure started off with a whimper. I didn't notice much I liked in his first month or two. But he's been really good lately, and that's not easy when you're bounced around the roster as much as he is.

If he's OK to have his cap number stay about the same, then I'd be OK to have him stick around long-term.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
I've wanted Domi on the Leafs for a long time.

His tenure started off with a whimper. I didn't notice much I liked in his first month or two. But he's been really good lately, and that's not easy when you're bounced around the roster as much as he is.

If he's OK to have his cap number stay about the same, then I'd be OK to have him stick around long-term.
This is a prime example why trade dead line ads rarely make much of an impact . It took Domi and Bert 50 games or more to start feeling their roles and providing a larger impact with the Leafs .

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is a prime example why trade dead line ads rarely make much of an impact . It took Domi and Bert 50 games or more to start feeling their roles and providing a larger impact with the Leafs .

For the good players like ROR they are usually into it by the PO. Its just enough time really.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
For the good players like ROR they are usually into it by the PO. Its just enough time really.
I find the exact opposite . It's the bottom role players that seem to fit into their roles better quicker because their games are much simpler . I can't think of any big dead line pick up by any team that's been a huge impact in that years playoffs . It's not just a matter of skill , it's fitting in with a team that's already well established on and off the ice .

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
I like that he's on a 1 year deal. There should be more complete players available at that cap hit come the off-season or, better yet, use his cap hit to help address the defence.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I think you have to resign him as a depth piece. His willingness to fight and passing ability are a boost to the team. Plus his father is a local legend , it's a good fit for something like 3 x 4m. Bertuzzi I don't really want back on a big contract. He's too pedestrian.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Was surprised to see he leads the team in penalty minutes by a considerable margin.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
To Domi's credit he's a better hockey player than his dad.

That's not saying a whole lot. Tie Domi was one of the worst hockey players I've ever seen. He was like a side act to the main event.

The Leafs have always been a three ring circus.

With the clowns running the show. This isn't the Ringling Bros or Barnum & Bailey we're talking about though. More like Uncle Bob's sideshow of freaks.

With Max Domi as current starring attraction.

Domi is actually a pretty good hockey player. And every now and then you catch glimpses of what "could have been" if he tried a little harder. But normally he just seems happy coasting on the coattails of the stars.

Just like his dad used to.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
To Domi's credit he's a better hockey player than his dad.

That's not saying a whole lot. Tie Domi was one of the worst hockey players I've ever seen. He was like a side act to the main event.

The Leafs have always been a three ring circus.

With the clowns running the show. This isn't the Ringling Bros or Barnum & Bailey we're talking about though. More like Uncle Bob's sideshow of freaks.

With Max Domi as current starring attraction.

Domi is actually a pretty good hockey player. And every now and then you catch glimpses of what "could have been" if he tried a little harder. But normally he just seems happy coasting on the coattails of the stars.

Just like his dad used to.

Tie scored 15 goals around 2001 in one season with limited ice time. He is not even close
To one of the worst NHLers you’ve ever seen. He actually was a contributor offensively in his 4th line role.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Tie scored 15 goals around 2001 in one season with limited ice time. He is not even close
To one of the worst NHLers you’ve ever seen. He actually was a contributor offensively in his 4th line role.

He was crap.

He might have been modestly better than some of his contemporaries. But that doesn't mean he was good. Fifteen goals was his crowning achievement.

Hail to the king, I guess.

🤴 <- Tie

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
Domi is a huge piece that has been missing from this roster for a long long time. He just hasnt been used right. The guy is gritty, fast, decent passing and scoring, can hit and fight.

Did you see him jumping up and down when Mathews scored his 60th. This is what you want on your team. Someone with passion and heart.

Not sure what his contract is but he is def a keeper.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
+1. Also Mats liked him and Mats was glad he was a part of the team. Not too many players can lead the team in scoring like Mats + do all the dirty work like policing so teams need more than one type of player. If Tie was in charge of HFBoards he'd certainly find a few TML posters to deservedly sock in face. Tie was one of the reasons I dared not miss watching a single game.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I think Domi give us the opportunity to move on from Marner.

Domi is a pass fist player who compliments Matthews quite well.

Step 1. Bring Domi back on 3-4 year extension.
Step2. Trade Marner immediately after locking Domi. Target a RD or C.

This move helps ease the cap issues and properly spreads cap dollars to where they need to go. Then have the add bonus of having JT’s cap hit mega reduced the following year.

Domi Matthews xxxxx
Knies xxxxx Nylander
Robertson JT Jankrok
McMann Kampf Reaves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad