Pre-Game Talk: Dogs @ Cats 3-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Can't believe what I'm reading, trading Huberdeau? He's just in the well know sophomore slump, he'll bounce back next season. He's just 20.

People wanting to trade him has no clue at all. First: Why would you trade him when he's value is at its all time low? Second: You can't trade a 20 year old future star because he's having a rough season, you need to think a little further down the road.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Huby will be fine.

New team next year, new linemates, solid goaltending, likely new coach.

He's 20. I have sox older.

Just an outside perspective here (Coyote fan), but I understand what you guys are going through. I have to say that the Panthers had zero structure to their game, to the point where even our announcers found it a little shocking. Just not a very well coached team. Maybe at this point in the year it's by design, but I would look at getting someone as respectable as Tallon in there behind the bench before questioning young players.

I mean, down late in the game during a timeout, Horacek was still leaning against the back of the bench, dictating what he wanted his players to do. No attempt to draw up a play. Just looked like a group totally out of it.

Bad to nonexistent coaching can make everyone look bad. Keep that in mind as you play out the string, because you've got a nice young core that's worth sticking with.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Just an outside perspective here (Coyote fan), but I understand what you guys are going through. I have to say that the Panthers had zero structure to their game, to the point where even our announcers found it a little shocking. Just not a very well coached team. Maybe at this point in the year it's by design, but I would look at getting someone as respectable as Tallon in there behind the bench before questioning young players.

I mean, down late in the game during a timeout, Horacek was still leaning against the back of the bench, dictating what he wanted his players to do. No attempt to draw up a play. Just looked like a group totally out of it.

Bad to nonexistent coaching can make everyone look bad. Keep that in mind as you play out the string, because you've got a nice young core that's worth sticking with.

We're going to kidnap Tippett.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

Many of us have been saying this the last 30 games, but there is nothing better than hearing it from an outsider. Thank you.

And I agree with JP. I just sat there last night at the game envious and was reminded what real structure is, something we haven't seen in a very long time.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
totally agree on the evander kane part, been saying that for a little while now. and i agree i wouldn't mind giving him one more year, but if he ends up playing like this again no ones going to give an evander kane for him. other than his hands being good and having good vision and some decent passing skills, everything else he brings is terrible. if he were skating hard and fast, ok. if he was actually getting chances, real chances, ok. if he were taking some nice shots on net, ok. if he could cycle and do something along the boards, ok. if he were at least breaking the puck out nicely and consistently, ok. but he hasn't done anyyyy of that, and its really scaring me because he's had some solid line mates, that shouldn't be an excuse. he's gotten his ice time, that shouldn't be an excuse. he's played enough games in the league to at least show glimpses of something and he hardly has.
unless he's playing with some crazy injury all season long that we don't know about, then fine, but he's been god awful and he wasn't crazy during the shortened season either. a lot of weird things went down that year so i don't take too much into account from that season for anyone really.
if tallon has an offer, a good offer, take it. if he can't get something good then give him one more season and i pray he does the opposite of everything he's been doing this season.

He doesn't just not do anything along the boards, he is miserable along the boards. He's always getting outmuscled and beaten up, pushed off the puck, etc. I've said this for awhile and even said it last year. He really needs to bulk up a bit this offseason.

As for trading him, you can't yet. Even though I like Kane (mentioned him at the deadline), you have to give Hubs next year to prove himself. Slumps like this aren't uncommon for second year players. I really do think he will be fine under the right coach and with better linemates. Aside from getting killed on the boards like he always does, he was not bad in this game and looks good with Trocheck. He needs to stop waiting so long to shoot when he gets chances. He tries to get a little too fancy. I really do think coaching has a lot to do with it. He should have been scratched earlier this year as a wakeup call. I don't think doing it now would matter because the overall attitude on this team is just "I don't care".

Campbell was absolutely miserable in this game. His passes sucked, he made stupid decisions on the PP, he made several terrible turnovers. It really is terrible just seeing him mail it in like this even if the games don't matter. Go out and play.

Jovo was terrible as usual. Two of their goals were at least partly his fault. I'm just at my wits end with tis guy. He absolutely must be bought out. I really don't think I can put up with another season.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
oh i know my opinion won't be the popular one. i know we tend to over rate a lot of our players, even from previous years. everyone went crazy over booth and yea he had a great season one time but i didn't like his game, even though i loved him as a player, i didn't get what all the hype was about. and just because you're a 3rd overall pick doesn't mean you're immune from playing bad in the nhl or not being a "star", huberdeau won't be star material imo, "star" is a strong word for me. huberdeau did solid in his rookie year but i still had my concerns. being a 3rd overall pick, having hype, scoring in his first game and getting some fancy shootout and penalty shot goals throughout the season probably let people to believe he'll be an insane player for us. but watching him actually play the game, i don't care for it that much. i said 3rd liner as his floor pretty much to clear the air, i said he'd most likely be an ok 2nd liner or a good one at best. if we draft dal colle or bennett, either will end up playing lw for us and id like to extend bergenheim and go after moulson. unless we can get something worth while, like a top line winger in an huberdeau package then yea don't trade him. I'm not saying give him away.
i remember a fan from another team was asking if he will get 40 one day and we were responding no but 35 he could or something and that sounds like the typical panthers fan sorta thing to say, we need to set real expectations for players for once. huberdeau isnt a 30G-70+PTS player, i don't see him being that, i hope he is, trust me, he's our player and its a lot easier when the players you already have are incredible instead of trading or signing those types of players. i personally don't like huberdeau's playing style. my main complaint is that he doesn't move, he's incredibly slow, if he actually hustled and moved while he has the puck he should be able to create opportunities, but he just casually glides. so unless theres an injury we don't know about then i still don't care for his game style, I'm sorry if thats not the popular opinion.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Amen :shakehead. Kid is one year removed from winning the damn Calder on a team that was 29th in goals last season, and we're throwing "3rd liner" around. C'mon people get some perspective here.

Would he have won the Calder if it was an 82 game season instead of the shortened season? He started off strong and really faded towards the end of the season.

Not saying to give up on him but he is not the second coming of Wayne Gretzky!

Last edited:

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Would he have won the Calder if it was an 82 game season instead of the shortened season? He started off strong and really faded towards the end of the season.

Not saying to give up on him but he is not the second coming if Wayne Gretzky!
Yeah he would've. He got his hip injury at the WJCs so if it were a full season not only would he be 100% but a lot of are guys would've been in shape to start the season. We would have better depth to support him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad