Does Tim Thomas get too much credit for 2011?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think Thomas was quite spectacular that year. Even during the season I had him as my Hart winner. He finished 5th, but that was such an open field that year with Crosby hurt and Ovechkin in a mid career funk that it really could have gone with him.

The playoffs were when he really shone. I don't think he was good enough from an all-time perspective to maintain that sort of greatness but don't be fooled, Thomas stood on his head at times. The Canucks are in a terrible place now, but they led the league in points two years in a row at that time. They had a softness about them I didn't like, but they were an offensive team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He gets enough credit for it. Boston was a team designed to allow a lot of shots but few quality chances, and that is the ideal situation for a goaltender to put up good numbers. Thomas had a knack for looking spectacular making some saves, but he also let in plenty of weak goals. The more consistent a goaltender is the better, so I've never been high on Thomas. I suspect that plenty of NHL goaltenders in 2011 could have replaced Thomas and won the Stanley Cup.

I will say that I am conflicted regarding the view that many take on Thomas circa 2018. I thought that he was very overrated at the time, and his standing in the eyes of many has rightly gone down since then. The reason that it has happened for many people though is so irrelevant to his hockey level that I can't help but find it annoying. People are right for the wrong reasons.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
While I respect his ability to make highlight reel stops (not atypically made out of routine saves that he initially botched), many of them were a result of the very flaws that kept him out of the league for a decade after being drafted...he is poor from basically every technique perspective you can think of and had just about zero hockey sense...so that's why everything was such an adventure, why his rebound control was so poor, he was an awful skater, his shoulders were never square, his backward rotation against speed was not good, he gave up any leverage he had by always making the first move into a very, very sloppy butterfly-ish setup...he made a dog's breakfast out of way too many shots...as a coach (hell, even as a player) you hate that your balloon knot tightens up on every. single. shot. that goes towards your net because you don't know what's going in and what's not...I kind of wonder if Claude Juilen didn't have a full head of hair before Thomas became his goalie haha...

Some incredibly smart and likely very handsome gentleman put together a video some years ago of just the goals (not including the close calls, where he was bailed out by Ryder or Seidenberg or Chara) that are just a mess...either from outside the dots, voluptuous rebounds or shots that just bore a hole in him for no reason at all...this is bad goaltending. This is how you lose games and series. You can fill your bank account with saves and still be poor. You can't have what's going on in that video happen and still consider it a good performance...you just can't...that's a such disconnect from the game itself...

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I'm not seeing much separation between Thomas and Ranford in those numbers.

In the cumulative numbers, no. But Ranford had exceptional Games 1 and 2 (58/59) and lesser Games 3 and 4 (69/78), so I'd give Thomas an edge, because I think he gave the Flyers less of a chance to take one game, let alone a split.

Pretty comparable, but statistically, there's about 10 goaltending runs between 1968-2017 that fall between Thomas (bookended by 1994 McLean and 1996 Roy) and Ranford (bookended by 1987 Hextall and 1994 Richter), and that's probably where we'd see more evidence of separation between the two.

Top 4th Round Performances, 1980-2017
1. Patrick Roy, 1996 (24.8% on 151 shots)
2. Billy Smith, 1983 (29.5% on 128 shots)
3. Tim Thomas, 2011 (33.2% on 246 shots)
4. Bill Ranford, 1990 (46.2% on 156 shots)

5. Mike Vernon, 1997 (53.4% on 108 shots)
6. Patrick Roy, 2001 (54.2% on 178 shots)
7. Jonathan Quick, 2012 (55.2% on 132 shots)
8. Corey Crawford, 2015 (58.0% on 161 shots)
9. Dominik Hasek, 1999 (58.3% on 198 shots)
10. Patrick Roy, 1993 (60.1% on 155 shots)

7 of those 10 goaltenders won the Conn Smythe, so in terms of final impressions, Thomas left a fantastic one (especially considering the workload) that was not surprisingly rewarded.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Don't think there was any split voting. Seemed by game 7 of finals that Thomas was indeed a no-doubter.

Sorry, I didn't mean the actual voting ended up split. Meant that none of the other 3 Bruins skaters I listed stood out enough to be considered the MVP, so naturally everyone gravitated to the goaltender who was allowing barely 1.00 GAA in the Final.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
^ yeah, plus however many Seidenberg pulled off the goalie in that run. It would have been nice if Kostitsyn's weak shot that hit the post and went in late in regulation of game 7, instead of out...would have accelerated Thomas' rightful dismissal from the league...

Must be the only 2 time Vezina winner that in actuality didn't belong in the league.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Sorry, I didn't mean the actual voting ended up split. Meant that none of the other 3 Bruins skaters I listed stood out enough to be considered the MVP, so naturally everyone gravitated to the goaltender who was allowing barely 1.00 GAA in the Final.

Gotcha.

Reading comprehension not my strong suit. (nor spelling)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Seidenberg was better than Chara throughout the playoffs.

Yes he was. Absolute beast.

one of the great what-ifs in canucks history: there were rumours that the canucks were interested in picking up seidenberg prior to the 2010 trade deadline. he would have replaced willie mitchell, who was out for the year after malkin concussed him on a hit from behind.

seidenberg and canucks defenseman christian ehrhoff played together and looked good in the olympics that spring. there was talk that ehrhoff was pushing for the canucks to pick up seidenberg, who eventually was traded to boston for basically a 2nd round pick and the promising late-blooming power forward byron bitz (a year later, after a series of disastrous injuries, bitz wasn't qualified by florida and the canucks signed him as a free agent, then waived him midseason).

from an article right before the '11 finals:

Ehrhoff and Seidenberg have spent more time playing alongside each other than against one another, but they'll put that friendship aside for the next couple weeks with a Stanley Cup on the line.

"He's only one year older than I am and I played with him on the junior national teams," Ehrhoff said. "He was my [defense] partner at the Olympics last year, so we know each other very well.

"When we play against each other we try to go for dinner or for coffee or something," Ehrhoff added.

"We talk a little bit during the season, but right now we're just focused on our team and we'll talk after the series is done."

Christian Ehrhoff, Dennis Seidenberg Put Friendship Aside As They Battle to Become Second German Player to Win Stanley Cup

instead, the canucks settle for large and not especially competent third pairing plug andrew alberts from the hurricanes, for a third round pick.

here's how that non-trade ended up shaking out:

- april 3, 2010: after putting up an impressive 9 points in 17 games after the trade, seidenberg accidentally gets his wrist slashed by nikolai kulemin's skate during a hit. he's out of the season. the bruins go on to get eliminated in the second round by philadelphia, during the infamous 3-0/3-4 series.

- may 11, 2010: the canucks also lose in the second round in six, to the blackhawks for the second year in a row. alberts averaged twelve and a half minutes during the playoffs. the blackhawks would go on to sweep san jose before beating philly in the finals, also in six games.

- june 5, 2010: the bruins re-sign seidenberg for four years at a $3.25 million cap hit.

- june 25, 2010: the canucks trade michael grabner, steve bernier, and a late first that would eventually become quinton howden to florida for keith ballard, who had two years left at a $3.3 million cap hit, and 6'3 forward victor oreskovich who disgraced himself and everyone else when he just stood there like an idiot and watched the melee that ensued after marchand low-bridged daniel sedin after the whistle in game four of the finals. (at the time, ballard was a decently well-regarded puck-moving #2/3 and had a reputation for never getting hurt, which was important because our defense corps was very injury prone, especially sami salo and kevin bieksa. we were cutting bait on willie mitchell because of his concussion issues, although many of us including me hated that decision. mitchell, of course, would sign with LA and in 2012 help eliminate us in the first round en route to the first of two cups in three years. he averaged 25 minutes a game in the 2012 playoffs.)

- july 1, 2010: we signed dan hamhuis as a UFA. due to tampering rules, we couldn't have known we were going to get hamhuis when we traded for ballard, though obviously we were planning to target him. having both hamhuis and ballard put us in a cap crunch, but with salo on IR for at least the first half of the season (he ended up coming back in february), we were able to make it work. later injuries to bieksa and edler, and some creative IR work by AGM laurence gilman, allowed us to stay under the cap, with the full top six of hamhuis, bieksa, edler, ehrhoff, ballard, and salo never playing a single game together until game one of the playoffs.

so what might have happened in an alternate scenario where vancouver ponies up to get seidenberg from the panthers at the 2010 deadline? keep in mind that the canucks LOVED trading with florida during mike gillis' tenure, with the ballard trade, the chris higgins trade, the david booth trade, and the second luongo trade, plus three minor trades involving darcy hordichuk, nathan paetsch, and sergei shirokov. and even after gillis was gone, tallon still had the canucks on auto-dial, as evidenced by the horrendous gudbranson trade and the later gudbranson trade-back that was aborted when jason demers exercised his NTC.

the bruins traded bitz and a high 2nd (36th) to florida for seidenberg, who was an impending UFA. garbage players craig weller and future terrible canuck matt bartkowski were also swapped. vancouver ended up trading bernier, grabner and a low 1st (27th) to florida for ballard and garbage player oreskovich. even though florida would end up waiving grabner during training camp a few months later (at which point he was picked up by the islanders and would score 34 goals, finishing 3rd for the calder), grabner, who was a recent first rounder, is probably the + value that differentiates ballard (2 years left) from seidenberg (rental). bernier was a rich man's byron bitz and the 1st was a little higher than the 2nd. i don't see why a bernier + 1st for seidenberg and oreskovich trade couldn't have happened.

if that happens, does seidenberg, who probably doesn't get freak-injured in this alternate scenario, solidify vancouver's d-corps during the 2010 playoffs? does a high-powered canucks team featuring a blueline of ehrhoff-seidenberg, edler-salo, o'brien-bieksa (ugh) have a better chance against the blackhawks? do they beat san jose (whom the blackhawks swept)? do they beat philly (who also lost to chicago in six)?

and do the canucks re-sign seidenberg and never make the ballard trade? the salaries are basically identical, with seidenberg being actually a little cheaper. there's still no guarantee they get hamhuis on july 1, but does gillis roll the dice with seidenberg already there, knowing that there's still always willie mitchell (wouldn't be signed until august) if hamhuis is a no go?

what do the 2011 canucks look like going into the finals with hamhuis-bieksa, seidenberg-ehrhoff, and edler-salo? assuming hamhuis still manages to get hurt in game two, how are vancouver's chances going forward with seidenberg-ehrhoff, edler-salo, and rome-bieksa (and then, assuming rome still gets suspended, seidenberg-salo, ehrhoff-bieksa, edler-tanev after game three)?

and given how banged up the canucks' forwards were in the finals, especially henrik and kesler, plus losing raymond completely in the first shift of game six, malhotra playing with one eye, and samuelsson already out for the year, wouldn't having a 34 goal scorer like grabner around be nice? they were playing jeff tambellini on the second line with higgins and kesler in games six and seven of the stanley cup finals.

/2011canucksfanfic

back on topic: speaking only about the finals, thomas gets too much credit from the majority, but way way way too little credit from others. he faced mostly muffins from the outside, but still it's not like he didn't make any saves, and it's not like he wasn't sharp when he had to be, one burrows goal notwithstanding. i had bergeron, chara, and as much as i hate to admit marchand ahead of thomas in importance during that series.

Reactions: ehhedler

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
While I respect his ability to make highlight reel stops (not atypically made out of routine saves that he initially botched), many of them were a result of the very flaws that kept him out of the league for a decade after being drafted...he is poor from basically every technique perspective you can think of and had just about zero hockey sense...so that's why everything was such an adventure, why his rebound control was so poor, he was an awful skater, his shoulders were never square, his backward rotation against speed was not good, he gave up any leverage he had by always making the first move into a very, very sloppy butterfly-ish setup...he made a dog's breakfast out of way too many shots...as a coach (hell, even as a player) you hate that your balloon knot tightens up on every. single. shot. that goes towards your net because you don't know what's going in and what's not...I kind of wonder if Claude Juilen didn't have a full head of hair before Thomas became his goalie haha...

Some incredibly smart and likely very handsome gentleman put together a video some years ago of just the goals (not including the close calls, where he was bailed out by Ryder or Seidenberg or Chara) that are just a mess...either from outside the dots, voluptuous rebounds or shots that just bore a hole in him for no reason at all...this is bad goaltending. This is how you lose games and series. You can fill your bank account with saves and still be poor. You can't have what's going on in that video happen and still consider it a good performance...you just can't...that's a such disconnect from the game itself...

Well done Mike. You have explained indirectly why Tim Thomas was hard to play against. The opposing skaters could not rely on any reads when trying to score.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
No, I think he deserved it. On the other end of the spectrum, I feel like Marchand doesn't get enough credit for his role.

Reactions: Killion

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Well done Mike. You have explained indirectly why Tim Thomas was hard to play against. The opposing skaters could not rely on any reads when trying to score.

I don't know baseball very well. That said, I say this: I've always likened these flash-in-the-pan, unreliable goalies to facing a knuckle ball pitcher. You don't waste your time practicing for and changing your swing for a knuckle ball pitcher during the regular season - it's just one game, hopefully you go 0 for 3 with a walk and you move on...you have 161 other games to get a hit...same thing in hockey...you stumble across a Roman Cechmanek or Tim Thomas or one of these heaps of random body parts during a regular season game...who cares. You do what you always do. But in a seven-game series, you get the advanced scouting going...you need to beat this guy now.

Cechmanek - sub-2 GAA over three seasons in Philadelphia - 92-43-22 record (66% points percentage...that's like a 108 point regular season)...in the playoffs, he won one playoff series...one where he put his team behind with some brutal goals. Philadelphia rallied by scoring four goals per game in a series against Toronto to overcome his uneven play.

Montreal and Tampa Bay in particular tagged Thomas good in 2011. Montreal - who Thomas saw more than any team - game planned for him well...holding pucks an extra second, shooting from slightly further out (because Thomas was only really effective in close on scramble plays), etc. so despite Montreal having a below average offense during Thomas' tenure in Boston (only one season was it even top-10...three seasons where it was bottom-10, in fact) their familiarity with him led him to surrender 2.8 goals per game to them, winning just 14 of 36 during the season...

So while teams tagged him pretty good in these series (thus, all of them going seven games...except Philly, who didn't come with a jacket...), Thomas was gifted a reprieve on his uneven play by Boston's heroic offensive effort in the 2011 playoffs...62 even strength goals in a playoff?!?! No other team even had 40 that year...

Reactions: ehhedler

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
At the time I thought Chara should win, but nonflashy defensive defensemen never win. Especially since the matchup game is harder with no changes after icing.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
If Montreal and Tampa "exposed" Tim Thomas as a garbage goaltender, Carey Price and Dwayne Roloson must be the worst goalies in the entire world for losing to him.

All criticism of Tim Thomas and his success seems to be triaged into either A. Butterfly/Positional Elitism, B. Related to his odd political beliefs, or C. Montreal/Vancouver salt.

His style was non-traditional and Julien's defensive system aided him a lot. Playing on a good all-around team made an individual's performance better than it would've been otherwise? Earth-shattering analysis!

The stats, the Vezinas, and the cup don't lie.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Thomas had an incredible run that year.
I take nothing away from him. He deserves all the praise he’s gotten.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Hmmm...the first sentence is really weird. That's a major disconnect from the actual game itself. I don't think that requires any follow-up.

I don't fall into any of these categories. I really don't like butterfly goalies. I have exactly zero interest in how players conduct themselves outside the rink...I'm around the game enough to know how that goes, and uh, yeah, these guys aren't my moral superiors haha...don't care who you vote for. And uh, I'm not a Montreal or Vancouver fan or supporter. On the other hand, proper talent evaluation and knowledge of coaching tactics paints a pretty clear picture of what he was and why he was with us for such a short amount of time and could only muster success in one very isolated scenario (well, two non-consecutive seasons and one playoff run). He's Cechmanek with run support one time. The latter is regarded as a joke (for good reason) but he at least had three consecutive seasons...but again, we can't all have Chara/Seidenberg/Bergeron clearing our rebounds away AND giving us 60+ even strength goals.

Thank you. Not sure how this works juxtaposed against your somewhat contradictory statement in the very next sentence, but these things tend to happen when people fall all over themselves to cover their tracks of falling for a fad/flash-in-the-pan deal...this is a Flock of Seagulls haircut type of deal...just put the pictures in the attic and don't talk about it, don't look back and try to justify it haha...

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don't know baseball very well. That said, I say this: I've always likened these flash-in-the-pan, unreliable goalies to facing a knuckle ball pitcher. You don't waste your time practicing for and changing your swing for a knuckle ball pitcher during the regular season - it's just one game, hopefully you go 0 for 3 with a walk and you move on...you have 161 other games to get a hit...same thing in hockey...you stumble across a Roman Cechmanek or Tim Thomas or one of these heaps of random body parts during a regular season game...who cares. You do what you always do. But in a seven-game series, you get the advanced scouting going...you need to beat this guy now.

Cechmanek - sub-2 GAA over three seasons in Philadelphia - 92-43-22 record (66% points percentage...that's like a 108 point regular season)...in the playoffs, he won one playoff series...one where he put his team behind with some brutal goals. Philadelphia rallied by scoring four goals per game in a series against Toronto to overcome his uneven play.

Montreal and Tampa Bay in particular tagged Thomas good in 2011. Montreal - who Thomas saw more than any team - game planned for him well...holding pucks an extra second, shooting from slightly further out (because Thomas was only really effective in close on scramble plays), etc. so despite Montreal having a below average offense during Thomas' tenure in Boston (only one season was it even top-10...three seasons where it was bottom-10, in fact) their familiarity with him led him to surrender 2.8 goals per game to them, winning just 14 of 36 during the season...

So while teams tagged him pretty good in these series (thus, all of them going seven games...except Philly, who didn't come with a jacket...), Thomas was gifted a reprieve on his uneven play by Boston's heroic offensive effort in the 2011 playoffs...62 even strength goals in a playoff?!?! No other team even had 40 that year...

Two Vezina Trophies and a Smythe, that's one hell of a flash.

Glenn Hall, Ken Dryden, Bernie Parent, Patrick Roy & TIM THOMAS only goalies with multiple Vezinas and a Smythe.

Reactions: Voight

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
It was one hell of a flash...I agree. It happened to fall into a time of weak competition (Lundqvist and...uhh...?) and he had the storyline backing (media votes, media needs stories...so fat slob American comes out of nowhere after being drafted in the 100th round a million years ago and toiling in the minors for forever rises up and does whatever he does...it's one of those "feel good" stories...until he middle fingered a democrat that is haha...then he became a grand wizard dragon thing or whatever...anyway, the headlines are there in a league that has few)...not saying he was wholly undeserving of this stuff, I get it's a numbers game...but that doesn't change that he was a flash in the pan who could only hang in the league behind Julien/Chara/Bergeron...outside of that, he remained not NHL caliber, this made up the majority of his career. Maybe he practiced really, really hard for those two non-consecutive seasons and got really, really good...or maybe...just spitballing here, maybe there were other factors at play...some of us may never know...

Reactions: Killion

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI

And in the other three series where they lost, they gave him 25 goals of support across 17 games and 447 shots, winning only five games (3-2, 3-1, 1-0, 2-0, 1-0) where he stopped a combined 147/150. But don't let facts get in the way of a good story; you haven't so far.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
It's confusing to see people say how the Bruins defensive system is what really made Thomas shine, yet totally neglect that Thomas was the MAIN reason why they made it out of some of those playoff series.

They were fighting back in that Vancouver series, and they needed Thomas to stand on his head. And he did.

Amazing, nearly 7 years later and some STILL have to discredit his performance. Salty indeed.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
He didn't stand on his head because Boston weren't dominated by Vancouver at any point during the finals. Thomas was steady (he also was pre-NHL when he played in Finland & Sweden) but he didn't stand on his head in the finals. The truth is somewhere in between him being a fraud and him standing on his head. He had a very good performance in the finals and probably got into some heads, but he weren't playing otherworldly standing-on-my-head-hockey behind a beige suck squad. Boston had a real deep roster (both defensively & offensively, with some stand out star players like Chara and Bergeron) and a well functioning system/machinery.

Reactions: seventieslord

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
He was the main reason they had to play in three seven game series, yes. With more tidy goaltending, they could have done that playoff in fewer games and still netted a championship...

It's a one-sided view. He gets credit when he makes awkward saves, which oddly gets extrapolated into wins - even though save is the expected result. But it's pretty hush-hush about the games he gave away or put into jeopardy. The view is impure and needs to be balanced out.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
He was the main reason they had to play in three seven game series, yes. With more tidy goaltending, they could have done that playoff in fewer games and still netted a championship...

It's a one-sided view. He gets credit when he makes awkward saves, which oddly gets extrapolated into wins - even though save is the expected result. But it's pretty hush-hush about the games he gave away or put into jeopardy. The view is impure and needs to be balanced out.

People never view their heroes as entering or leaving the bathroom, as being flawed, less than perfect.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Sedins were held on the outside by Chara and his goon squad and could only throw easy muffins at Thomas.

Isn't that what defensemen are supposed to do in the physical sport called hockey??? :shakehead Some of you guys really need to either move on, get therapy or just pick another diversion. :cry:

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad