Speculation: Does Shanahan get fired?

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
that takes how many "prime years" Tavares off. And also Matthews' contract years off?

Trading Marner will not be as easy. No other GM in the League values Marner at 11 AAV for 5 years with cap not moving up anytime soon.

I know that’s what makes it hard but it’s pretty obvious he’s the one that needs to go to fix the cap situation. I don’t think they are trading Matthews or Tavares. I think keeping Nylander at 6ish is good value.

Reactions: 40BayStreet

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
how is it dubas/keefe/shanny fault? lmao what? the players are at fault here

They are the ones who put a losing roster together. Not to mention the terrible deadline trades - not one of the acquired players has contributed anything.

Better yet - the roster only gets worse from here as contracts come up and we have no money to pay anyone - because they spent much money spent on too few players, who based on the rest of the market, were overpaid.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
We just signed him to a deal. I think he stays, but Dubas is definitely gone.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
It won't be management/coach change, it will be a long overdue core change if they lose

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I don't think any management gets fired.

Until a major piece of the core is moved... I think they get to continue.

If a core piece is not moved this off-season or is refused to be moved, fire the lot of them.

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
This situation has nothing to do with cap, depth etc. Our top players who are supposed to perform are not. If you told me Matthews and Marner were dogshit in the playoffs and our depth, which everyone seems to shit on, carried the team I would call you crazy.

Dubas actually has built a surprisingly deep team, better defence, better goaltending, and yet the star players are shitting the bed, which will probably end up costing us the series.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
Game 7 should decide everyones fate honestly. The whole "let's wait and see" is over this playoffs. I am not going to go out and defend Dubas or management or anyone else for that matter. I will say that the team as built should have by all accounts been very successful with the overwhelming talents of the main core, the speed, size and improved defense and goaltending. But regardless, this is year 5 of this group and in 5 years it is still making all of the same mistakes it made in year one. Two different coaches, a shuffling of support players, defenders and goaltending yet the same game to game problems exist and it just can't continue like this. Many changes will be needed unless they make it to the finals, but anything less is a failure.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think that Shanny is pissed watching this shit. If they lose, I think he will make some major changes. I don't think he himself will get fired.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
If we go out in game 7 the entire org only has one bullet left to fire

Dubas will only have one major move (maybe) and if that doesn't work I think top to bottom is getting cleaned out half way through next season

Reactions: Nylanderthal

Mar 26, 2010
I don't think any management gets fired.

Until a major piece of the core is moved... I think they get to continue.

If a core piece is not moved this off-season or is refused to be moved, fire the lot of them.
Marner has to be the one traded. Not Nylander! Willy is on a fantastic contract and better in the playoffs.

Reactions: Superstar

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Fire dubas. Dude ruined our cap.
Not sure how we get out from under these contracts in a potentially five year flat cap world (according to Friedman).

Marner is probably the easiest to move while Tavares would be the ideal.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
I think that Shanny is pissed watching this shit. If they lose, I think he will make some major changes. I don't think he himself will get fired.

He’s had 7 seasons to figure it out. That’s an eternity in pro sports. This isn’t like losing to Boston in 7. If the Leafs lose this series well.... let’s just say there is no coming back from this one.

Reactions: rumman

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
the one thing we heard was we couldn’t make line up changes because we had no cap space. That was a problem since we couldn’t rotate players. Don’t think it’s a hard thing to work around for next season but the cap space is still a bit of an issue.
We kind of got screwed because the players getting injured were our cheapest players, and they weren't injured enough to stuff on LTIR most of the time anyways.

Made it really tough to navigate a way to stay under the cap and add a replacement player to the roster.

Happens to a lot of teams that play super close to the cap. Vegas had to play a few games with a short roster because of the same situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad