does PLD stay ?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I get your point but

I don’t really care. W can make all the excuses we want but they both made the jump from CHL to NHL, Dubois has the size and is physically mature enough to be in the league, the dude said he could win the Calder last year..

Fact of the matter is he has 1 point in 9 games and people are thinking he is going to be Benn. What flashes of brilliance has he shown to ever be that? As far as I’m concerned he’s been meh and I have not seen the Elite skill in his game.

Benn PPG in CHL 1.37
Dubois PPG in CHL 1.21
Wonder if people were asking these questions about Thornton and Lecavlier or more recently Seguin, Schefiele or hell we saw it on this very team with Johansen. Dubois needs a little extra motivation and to be more aggressive vs waiting for the game to come to him but hes young and it will come. Dubois is skilled but tentative and on a deeper team where he is easing in vs being gifted top line oppurtunities. He will take time but I personally see the skilled top 6 guy hiding in there but he needs to come out of his shell on the ice. Also the Calder comments were him thinking if he sounded confident he would play confident,he basically tried to trick everyone including himself and ended up letting mistakes bother him which led to a meh camp and being sent down a year ago.
Also on the CHL to NHL thing,1 last prime example is Ryan Getzlaf. Dude was deemed to have character issues, and had 75 points his 2nd last season in 49 games and he followed that up in his final WHL season with 54 in 51. All hes done since then was be a big part of a Stanley Cup win and now captain his team. Point is I guess these guys can take different amounts of time to figure out what they really are and Dubois after 9 NHL games is not the Dubois we will see a few years down the road. AHL would be a nice spot for him like Pulju but its not an option so this is atleast nice for him to feel NHL speed and get NHL practice and training

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Unfortunately he is going to stay, he still needs a lot of work but we have nobody of value to replace him with so there’s no choice.

Jamie Benn scored 41 pts his first year in the NHL, Dubois is on pace for 10. I hope you’re right but I think it is much more likely he turns out as a James Neal rather than a Benn. He’s young though, only time will tell.
That's not the reason he's here. He's here because he's too good and too big for the CHL, yet he's not quite ready for the NHL. So he's here to get experience only because we can't send him to Cleveland.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
No reason to not keep him up. So long as management gives him the proper leash to develop which I'm sure that they will.

He's a 3rd overall pick. I can't imagine him taking a positive attitude to juniors had he been sent down for the second consecutive season.

Reactions: Viqsi

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Unfortunately he is going to stay, he still needs a lot of work but we have nobody of value to replace him with so there’s no choice.
Unfortunately? He's looked pretty solid and sending him to Jr. would be a waste. I'm not sure I understand your thought process as sentance #2 seems to contradict the first sentance? Unfortunately but we have no one of value to replace him? If he were not capable there is Motte, Schroeder, Hanikainnen and Dalpe that could replace him and be just fine. I'm probably misunderstanding your point. My apologies in advance. For me, I think he's looked just fine and will adjust and improve his play as the year moves on. He should stay in my opinion (which apparently the team agrees with me. :D )

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Unfortunately? He's looked pretty solid and sending him to Jr. would be a waste. I'm not sure I understand your thought process as sentance #2 seems to contradict the first sentance? Unfortunately but we have no one of value to replace him? If he were not capable there is Motte, Schroeder, Hanikainnen and Dalpe that could replace him and be just fine. I'm probably misunderstanding your point. My apologies in advance. For me, I think he's looked just fine and will adjust and improve his play as the year moves on. He should stay in my opinion (which apparently the team agrees with me. :D )
How can you say he’s looked “pretty solid?” Is 1 point in 10 games what we want to see in our players? I agree he should stay given what we have, but if we didn’t lose (Gagner Hartnell Karlsson) our depth he wouldn’t be playing here.

Reactions: CPTN71

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
How can you say he’s looked “pretty solid?” Is 1 point in 10 games what we want to see in our players? I agree he should stay given what we have, but if we didn’t lose (Gagner Hartnell Karlsson) our depth he wouldn’t be playing here.
You clearly aren't watching him play. I don't care about the points. He can play a regular shift and not hurt the team and doesn't look out of place. The points will come. You and I will have to agree to disagree

Reactions: thebus88

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I was going to respond to some of the discussion, but allow me to take the PLD discussion a different direction.

Think of the following question as your "first mid-term". There will be several more mid-term's before the final exam in a couple years.

Question: "Is anybody still upset that the Columbus Blue Jackets selected Pierre-Luc Dubois rather than Jesse Puljaarvi?"

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
You clearly aren't watching him play. I don't care about the points. He can play a regular shift and not hurt the team and doesn't look out of place. The points will come. You and I will have to agree to disagree
Lol yep I clearly never watch him play.

Not impacting the game offensively or defensively is what you want? Okay fine.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I was going to respond to some of the discussion, but allow me to take the PLD discussion a different direction.

Think of the following question as your "first mid-term". There will be several more mid-term's before the final exam in a couple years.

Question: "Is anybody still upset that the Columbus Blue Jackets selected Pierre-Luc Dubois rather than Jesse Puljaarvi?"

I’m not sure, I still think JP can be a great goal scorer in this league. Funny how people think JP sucks yet he has more points at the NHL level than PLD.
I trust Jarmo but I don’t see the elite skill in PLD that makes people stars in this league. I see size and strength but that’s about it.

Reactions: CBJSTH

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

As a 19 year old rookie, yeah that's fine. If he can gain 82 games worth of experience without negatively impacting the team, that's a good thing.

As for JP vs. Dubois, positionality matters. If Dubois can eventually become a full time center and have similar production to JP, then the pick makes sense as center>winger. But if he doesn't make the transition AND doesn't put up superior numbers, then I think the Jackets made a mistake.

There was a reason why the CBJ passed on Puljujarvi. If it's because they thought Dubois would be a center, then Dubois had better become a center. If it's because they knew about a problem with JP then that problem had better manifest.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
As a 19 year old rookie, yeah that's fine. If he can gain 82 games worth of experience without negatively impacting the team, that's a good thing.
And my point remains that if we still had Gagner/Hartnell/Karlsson then he wouldn’t be playing. You want people on the roster that make you better, not people who don’t have any impact on the game.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
And my point remains that if we still had Gagner/Hartnell/Karlsson then he wouldn’t be playing. You want people on the roster that make you better, not people who don’t have any impact on the game.
This is where the team's priorities and your priorities are different.

Management has been adamant that they are focused on the future rather than the present. Winning right now is good, but they won't give up part of the future to win right now. So they would rather have PLD up and learning so that he can be better in the future rather than a player who will give the Jackets 1-2 years of good play right now.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
This is where the team's priorities and your priorities are different.

Management has been adamant that they are focused on the future rather than the present. Winning right now is good, but they won't give up part of the future to win right now. So they would rather have PLD up and learning so that he can be better in the future rather than a player who will give the Jackets 1-2 years of good play right now.
By that logic wouldn’t it be better for him to get top line mins in AHL or CHL than to play 4th line in NHL..

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
By that logic wouldn’t it be better for him to get top line mins in AHL or CHL than to play 4th line in NHL..
He cannot play in the AHL but that would probably be best.

The options for Dubois are CHL or NHL. And the CBJ obviously felt if he could get consistent minutes and exposure at the NHL level without severely hurting the team, that's where he would develop best. After all, it worked for Johansen and Wennberg.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014

The options for Dubois are CHL or NHL. And the CBJ obviously felt if he could get consistent minutes and exposure at the NHL level without severely hurting the team, that's where he would develop best. After all, it worked for Johansen and Wennberg.
I thought he was 19? Why can’t he play in AHL?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014

To be fair though, you never know how they would have turned out if they stayed with their respective teams for another year or too.

Yakupov is an example of it not working. To each their own.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I got my hopes up so high after seeing him score his goal against NYI... no lie.

Just based off of intuition, I don’t think PLD will ever live up to being a 3 OA. Just a gut feeling. I know, his minutes are being sheltered so far but I’ve watched all of the CBJ games so far and caught at least 10 of his games in the Q and I just don’t see elite talent.. I see a player that will top out as a Josh Anderson type player/style.

Do I see him having as good of a career as other former 3rd OA picks like toews, Duchene, gaborik? I don’t.

I truly hope I bite my tongue someday typing this.

Time will tell..

Reactions: Cowumbus

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I got my hopes up so high after seeing him score his goal against NYI... no lie.

Just based off of intuition, I don’t think PLD will ever live up to being a 3 OA. Just a gut feeling. I know, his minutes are being sheltered so far but I’ve watched all of the CBJ games so far and caught at least 10 of his games in the Q and I just don’t see elite talent.. I see a player that will top out as a Josh Anderson type player/style.

Do I see him having as good of a career as other former 3rd OA picks like toews, Duchene, gaborik? I don’t.

I truly hope I bite my tongue someday typing this.

Time will tell..
I'd gladly take another Josh Anderson out of PLD. :nod:

Though being 3OA you would hope he would be better in the long run. He still has plenty of time to get there.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Again, agree to disagree. You see no impact, I see little plays to do impact. No assist on the Sedlak goal but clearly impact, play on the boards holding pucks in, not losing zone assignments. He's 19 years old and doesn't look out of place. You are correct, I don't expect him to impact games by taking them over. I just expect him to impact games by not costing us goals and giving us good minutes. That's still value in my opinion. We differ. That's all.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad