Does Foligno Get A Hearing For This "Move" on Myers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Here's another angle that shows the whole sequence.

Foligno goes down to one knee to block the shot and trips on Myers' foot as he's trying to stand up, causing him to fall forward and swing sideways as he's holding onto Myers with his left hand.

Couldn't find a less clear view?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Foligno deliberately punched him in the back of the knee. I rewatched the video at least a dozen times. Looking to see if maybe Foligno’s stick getting caught on Myers’ left leg caused Foligno’s body to twist and right arm to accelerate. I don’t see how physics would explain anything other then Foligno deliberately punching Myers in the back of the knee.

What’s the DoPS standard for something like that? I don’t know, we rarely see something like this happen.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I don't think he does it on purpose but if he did, is it even against the rules ?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Right, none of us have any idea about physics. Him grabbing his arm actually makes it more likely that this was a punch to the knee because he had control of his body for the most part, therefore the reflex to brace outwards wasn't necessary.

Your condescension and utter ignorance is refreshing really.
You clearly don't have any grasp of physics in this case if thats the conclusion you came to. As soon as he grabs onto Myers with his left arm his linear momentum becomes angular in a counter clockwise direction because an axis of rotation is created.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Never heard of an uppercut or right hook? It's more powerful to not have to extend your arm to make contact.
That still requires you to swung your arm wide, you still don't have a 90 degree elbow bend.

There is no arm swing, his entire arm is stable in positron with his shoulder, unless you're suggesting he punched from his shoulder... it looks like it's pure angular momentum carrying his shoulder and arm in position that accidentally collides with Myers.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Okay, it was intentional, but it's Jets's fault.
You cannot expect the Wild to allow Buff taking runs on everyone and hit out captain really hard without retaliation.
So Foligno took out Myers. He has scored 2 goals and is too big.
Consider this a warning. If you try to take more runs on Wild players, Foligno takes out Scheifele...or maybe even Laine.
And expect Gabriel to be dressed in Winnipeg.
Knee for an eye. You did see Koivu's eye, right?

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
Am I the only one seeing Foligno reaching out to stop himself from sliding into the boards?

Meyers' knee ends up being right where I would put my hand to prevent myself from crashing awkwardly into the boards.

He grabs Meyers with the left hand, it causes him to swing around as he falls, and then he lunges towards the boards with his right hand to brace himself.

This is the most analysis I've seen dedicated to a grainy video clip since the Zapruder film.

It's a dirty play to grab a guy as you're falling, but I doubt that's a punch.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Foligno deliberately punched him in the back of the knee. I rewatched the video at least a dozen times. Looking to see if maybe Foligno’s stick getting caught on Myers’ left leg caused Foligno’s body to twist and right arm to accelerate. I don’t see how physics would explain anything other then Foligno deliberately punching Myers in the back of the knee.

What’s the DoPS standard for something like that? I don’t know, we rarely see something like this happen.
How on earth do you not understand how physics would create a rotational force in this scenario? What happens when a force is applied anywhere other than through the COM of an object? It creates angular velocity.

Reactions: TaLoN

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
You clearly don't have any grasp of physics in this case if thats the conclusion you came to. As soon as he grabs onto Myers with his left arm his linear momentum becomes angular in a counter clockwise direction because an axis of rotation is created.

Man, I need to remember this if I ever get a court date for assaulting someone. "judge, you see I did not want to punch the other man but angular momentum and the laws of thermodynamics made this simply unavoidable. I shall refer you to the works of I. Netwon and hopefully this is all cleared up".

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Let me get this straight. These guys are flying at each other all night long. And the best way they can come up with to injure one another is to wait for an awkward fall? That also presents an opportunity to one inch punch the opponent into the locker room?

Better than a donkey punch I guess.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Coach Maurice clearly didn't like what Foligno did. Still, the Jets probably prefer that a plug like Foligno stays in the lineup. If they beat the Wild it'll be with speed and skill, which Foligno lacks.

Still, I think Foligno might want to be aware of when #33 is on the ice for the Jets.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Man, I need to remember this if I ever get a court date for assaulting someone. "judge, you see I did not want to punch the other man but angular momentum and the laws of thermodynamics made this simply unavoidable. I shall refer you to the works of I. Netwon and hopefully this is all cleared up".
I mean, all this post really does is just show that you don't understand simple physics.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
That still requires you to swung your arm wide, you still don't have a 90 degree elbow bend.
Please. Google images for either move. You'll see dozens of pictures of ~90 degree elbows. When you're that close to an opponent, ~90 degrees is the right angle for maximum power. Foligno clearly is in that position and unnaturally strikes at the knee instead of bracing for a fall.

Reactions: winnipegger

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

Clearly! Because holding onto somebodies shoulder causes you to violently throw your arm angled into another person's knee.
Lol "linear momentum". You sure sound like a Trump U graduate.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Foligno with the Tonya Harding shot to Myers knee. Yes, it's dirty and deserves a look by DOPS.

Reactions: MrGold

Mar 26, 2010
LOL :laugh:

The answer is NO! No foul or anything even close. Myers is just a tall clumsy guy that fell.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Let me get this straight. These guys are flying at each other all night long. And the best way they can come up with to injure one another is to wait for an awkward fall? That also presents an opportunity to one inch punch the opponent into the locker room?

Better than a donkey punch I guess.

why are you making the assumption that he somehow knew that myers would get injured? the debate is whether this was intentional or not.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

This guy is a hoot. Throws out googled words, accuses others of "not understanding basic physics".

I'd love to see the formulas he used to come to his conclusions of "linear momentum" using axis Y Z and F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad