Does Foligno Get A Hearing For This "Move" on Myers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Here's another angle that shows the whole sequence.

Foligno goes down to one knee to block the shot and trips on Myers' foot as he's trying to stand up, causing him to fall forward and swing sideways as he's holding onto Myers with his left hand.

If anything that angle makes it look worse.

Mar 26, 2010
he still got hit the leg, whether you think it was intentional or not how does that make him clumsy?
Hopefully Myers is ok. I don’t like to see anyone hurt in the game.

He fell clumsy there. That is all.

Reactions: LCPreds

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I mean, all this post really does is just show that you don't understand simple physics.

I bet I do though. Nothing you said is wrong in so far as physics is concerned but this wasn't that. He generated force with his muscles.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I don't see how any rational person can view that as a normal falling motion. Pretty clear wind up to go after the knee IMO.

That said I can see player safety taking the stance that they can't absolutely prove his intent was to go after the knee in which case they do nothing. There is no middle ground on this one though, if they decide to take disciplinary action I think it will be pretty heavy.

Reactions: MrGold

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
How on earth do you not understand how physics would create a rotational force in this scenario? What happens when a force is applied anywhere other than through the COM of an object? It creates angular velocity.

Because Foligno’s right arm accelerated faster then angular momentum would explain to strike the other player in the back of the knee?

I am very familiar with physics.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Clearly! Because holding onto somebodies shoulder causes you to violently throw your arm angled into another person's knee.
Lol "linear momentum". You sure sound like a Trump U graduate.
This is like arguing with a flat earther. When in doubt, disagree with some of the most basic scientific principles. Do you even know any of Newton's laws of motion? Thats the kind of stuff they teach you in first year University, might even be grade 12 physics.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Please. Google images for either move. You'll see dozens of pictures of 90 degree elbows. When you're that close to an opponent, ~90 degrees is the right angle for maximum power. Foligno clearly is in that position and unnaturally strikes at the knee instead of bracing for a fall.
Not if you're Olive Oyl.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Because Fologno’s right arm accelerated faster then angular momentum would explain to strike the other player in the back of the knee?

So what produced that motion then when so little motion actually occurred through his right shoulder and elbow joint?

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
How on earth do you not understand how physics would create a rotational force in this scenario? What happens when a force is applied anywhere other than through the COM of an object? It creates angular velocity.

How is he creating rotational force, strong enough to swing his arm in an angled motion towards the knee IF he is holding onto the shoulder with enough force to pull Myers back? You are contradicting and disproving yourself in the same sentence. But by all means, continue to act as if YOU know basic physics while telling others they have no grasp.

Go back to school friend, you need it.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
This is like arguing with a flat earther. When in doubt, disagree with some of the most basic scientific principles. Do you even know any of Newton's laws of motion? Thats the kind of stuff they teach you in first year University, might even be grade 12 physics.

Do you? How does the force he applies to Myers shoulders affect all of this?

Back to school

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
I don't see how any rational person can view that as a normal falling motion. Pretty clear wind up to go after the knee IMO.

That said I can see player safety taking the stance that they can't absolutely prove his intent was to go after the knee in which case they do nothing. There is no middle ground on this one though, if they decide to take disciplinary action I think it will be pretty heavy.
Because the time frame is so short that, unless it was planned in advance, was a reflex. Of course it looks stupid. It is stupid. The input from his eyes doesn't get the chance to tell his limbs that motion won't help. It happens in the spinal cord

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Okay, now I'm interested. Which of Newton's laws apply in this case. Please be specific (partial marks will be awarded for partial answers).

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Acting on what joints?

Dude, if I am holding on to something with my left hand it does not take away my ability to throw a hook with my right hand. He engages his torso to put a lot of force into that. My other sport is MMA that's not the first right hook I've seen. FOr your explanation to work Foligno would have to be skating at like 40 mph.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Because Fologno’s right arm accelerated faster then angular momentum would explain to strike the other player in the back of the knee?

Clearly you aren't sir. After all we have found our resident physics professor.

Pssh... how dare you bring in acceleration into this, how dare I to even bring in counter force into this dilemma as well.

After all, we know in physics there are NO variable and it's always "linear momentum"! EUREKA!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
How is he creating rotational force, strong enough to swing his arm in an angled motion towards the knee IF he is holding onto the shoulder with enough force to pull Myers back? You are contradicting and disproving yourself in the same sentence. But by all means, continue to act as if YOU know basic physics while telling others they have no grasp.

Go back to school friend, you need it.
How is he creating rotational motion? Because he already has linear motion towards Myers. The moment he grabs Myers he creates a rotational force acting on his body which results in angular momentum.

If you can't grasp this concept then try falling forward and grabbing onto something. Your body continues in its original path linearly, but you will spin in the direction of the force acting on you.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
How is he creating rotational motion? Because he already has linear motion towards Myers. The moment he grabs Myers he creates a rotational force acting on his body which results in angular momentum.

If you can't grasp this concept then try falling forward and grabbing onto something. Your body continues in its original path linearly, but you will spin in the direction of the force acting on you.

How does his right arm accelerate faster than the rest of his body? How does the counter force of him holding on to Myers shoulder affect your "linear motion"?

Go figure it out, as I said. Back to school.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
I mean, all this post really does is just show that you don't understand simple physics.

There are a lot of hoity-toity posters on this board who think demeaning another poster by saying they don't understand simple physics ...

There is always a contrary argument to be made...

I will simplify that point:

Two different sides on the same coin... :rolleyes:

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
What you fail to recognize is that he already braced his fall by grabbing onto Myers with his left arm and landing on both his knees.
That won't cause his arm and shoulder to accelerate into the knee the way it does. A falling motion with his arm braced that way could twist his body causing him to land on his right shoulder, it would not cause his shoulder and upper body to twist with that kind of force.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Dude, if I am holding on to something with my left hand it does not take away my ability to throw a hook with my right hand. He engages his torso to put a lot of force into that. My other sport is MMA that's not the first right hook I've seen. FOr your explanation to work Foligno would have to be skating at like 40 mph.

Because "basic physics" DUH!

Love the pseudo intellectuals throwing out their perceived superior knowledge only to embarrass themselves.
It's literally as if none has ever gotten off the couch and applied their perceived knowledge of physics in the real world.

Armchair physics, where hooks, uppercuts and counter force doesn't exist.. only "linear momentum".
Love it!

Reactions: Georgetown Al

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That won't cause his arm and shoulder to accelerate into the knee the way it does. A falling motion with his arm braced that way could twist his body causing him to land on his right shoulder, it would not cause his shoulder and upper body to twist with that kind of force.
His arm and shoulder hardly change relative position though. His elbow remains flexed to 90 degrees and his shoulder maybe goes through 15 degrees of horizontal abduction. The majority of his motion does not come from his right arm at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad