Confirmed with Link: Doc Emrick Retires

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Give him a statue.... sad he's totally done with calling games, but at 74 most people are done (unless you're running for president in 2020) But at least we were braced for him not calling hockey when he left the devils 9 years ago.

The devils had the best of most everything in the 90s.
Brodeur.....best goalie
Stevens....best hitter
Lou.... best gm (I know the armchair gms out there will disagree, but he got to the nhl, and hhof for a reason, and they didnt)
Doc... best hockey pbp announcer.

Chico.... may not actually be the best, but him and doc were a great team and he is easily the best at interacting with fans.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
It’s really unfortunate the devils weren’t good when he went to nbc and never really got to have him do our games much. I wonder if they would do a ring of honor for him? Would Chico get one?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
That was a great package done by NBC.

(though I would've liked for them to show the Devils raising the Cup in any of their 3 championship runs which they didn't...but that's just me being nitpicky)

It was an NBC tribute and we never got NBC games.

Reactions: glenwo2

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Thanks Doc for all those memorable calls you made....When we close our eyes and remember the best Devil games of past.... it is you that we still hear making those calls in our head ....I have two words that best describes you Sir PURE CLASS!

Reactions: glenwo2

Beastdog75

C'mon Dougie, swat him he's a fly!
Dec 18, 2005
Brick, NJ
Watching the Devils on TV and hearing Doc and Chico, it was like inviting two friends into my house every night to watch the game with. Doc brought passion and humor into his broadcasting (and an uber extensive vocabulary!). Love his anecdotes about the players (always keeping us apprised about Petr Sykora's chinchilla for instance).

"Henrique - It's Over!" will be my favorite sports call of all time, always. Good luck and enjoy retirement Doc!

Reactions: tr83

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
^^^agreed. I'll never forget exactly where I was and how I felt when I heard the "Henrique! It's over" call. I listen to that call multiple times a year still :laugh:

Just like how the Devils were so good every year, I was too young to truly understand how amazing we had it with Doc. Him and Chico made the games such a pleasure to listen to night in and night out. It's too bad we weren't good when he went to NBC because we didn't get too many of his outstanding playoff calls later on in his career. At the same time, I'm happy he stepped away from us at the right time so he wouldn't have to announce our abomination of a team since.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Some say that you "feel" old when you reach a certain age. My buddy shuddered when he turned 30, then 35.

I shudder when I reach major milestones. I felt like an adult when I could legally buy beer. I felt old when I got married. I stood at the altar saying "God, I'm getting married. Old people get married. Oh God, I'm old."

I've watched Devil games regularly since about 1996 (we didn't have cable before that). Up until about 2 years ago, I watched almost every single game. It took a long time for me to get over his Devils retirement. Watching him completely retire is like moving out of the house only to boomerang into your 30's and coming to grips that your parents got old.

Hockey is the most difficult sport to describe. So much happens in such a short period of time. It was a treat to listen to him effortlessly and colorfully describe so so many games. I felt like I was hanging out with 2 buddies watching the games. While the Henrique, it's over, game was one of the most joyous times as a sports fan, I love this one

The voice cracking was the best.

I got to go to Doc night 7ish years ago and cheered very loudly. Farewell Doc.

I love Kenny Albert. I hope he gets his spot as lead announcer.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
It’s really unfortunate the devils weren’t good when he went to nbc and never really got to have him do our games much. I wonder if they would do a ring of honor for him? Would Chico get one?

They deserve it but they haven't added anyone else to the ring of honor since they added McMullen which was already a few years ago, it was January of 2017 so I wouldn't expect anything to happen anytime soon there.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
They deserve it but they haven't added anyone else to the ring of honor since they added McMullen which was already a few years ago, it was January of 2017 so I wouldn't expect anything to happen anytime soon there.
No one had retired yet, Lamoriello being the most obvious candidate and he really has to retire first LOL.

I assume they created it to honor extraordinarily important people to the franchise, they aren’t looking to randomly add old fan favorites. I always assumed Lou was next but I could see Emrick getting it next but he’s literally it.

I don’t see Chico or Lemaire or whoever getting a spot, it won’t it fill up quickly. I guess they could add the three Stanley Cup winning cup coaches if they wanted to expand it. What do I know, maybe Chico gets up there as a broadcaster/player but I think he may lack the stature that it represents, unlike Emrick.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
No one had retired yet, Lamoriello being the most obvious candidate and he really has to retire first LOL.

I assume they created it to honor extraordinarily important people to the franchise, they aren’t looking to randomly add old fan favorites. I always assumed Lou was next but I could see Emrick getting it next but he’s literally it.

I don’t see Chico or Lemaire or whoever getting a spot, it won’t it fill up quickly. I guess they could add the three Stanley Cup winning cup coaches if they wanted to expand it. What do I know, maybe Chico gets up there as a broadcaster/player but I think he may lack the stature that it represents, unlike Emrick.

ring of honor is really tough. The devils I think overdid it with that. It’s such a big and imposing feature in the rink compared to a jersey hanging? What visually looks “bigger”? So then where do you draw the line? I get giving to McMullen but the guy did threaten to leave to go to Nashville. Why not beek? Yeah he ran out of cash but you can’t deny his heart was in the right place as a fan #1 and he never threatened to leave and helped secure Newark as the new arena. Do any coaches get it? Outside of lemaire none of them really stayed long enough to warrant it. Lou is the next one then doc probably but then your going to be looking at empty space for a loooong time which is fine it shouldn’t be just filled but I think maybe having the ring on the concourse then when it filled moved inside arena?

Reactions: Guttersniped

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
There use to be a clip of Doc, I think it was against pittsburgh but I could be wrong, but we had the puck in their zone for like 3 minutes and Brian Gionta was on the ice making plays for most of it and Doc was just going nuts

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

ring of honor is really tough. The devils I think overdid it with that. It’s such a big and imposing feature in the rink compared to a jersey hanging? What visually looks “bigger”? So then where do you draw the line? I get giving to McMullen but the guy did threaten to leave to go to Nashville. Why not beek? Yeah he ran out of cash but you can’t deny his heart was in the right place as a fan #1 and he never threatened to leave and helped secure Newark as the new arena. Do any coaches get it? Outside of lemaire none of them really stayed long enough to warrant it. Lou is the next one then doc probably but then your going to be looking at empty space for a loooong time which is fine it shouldn’t be just filled but I think maybe having the ring on the concourse then when it filled moved inside arena?

I've mentioned this in the past but I wish the kids zone area under the 2 main elevators was converted to mini musuem area where you could put plaques of the people in the ring of honor, a video screen showing highlights of them, etc etc etc It's not the biggest space but I can't think of any other space in the arena that would work.

I also wish we had hat trick wall like I've seen in Philly and Washington where they collect all the hats from that hat trick and put them in a wall to be seen with a description of who scored and the date and a tv showing the hat tricks.

Reactions: Guttersniped

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Aside from being one of the all time best sportscasters, the cherry on top for me is him owning 3 Devils Cup rings.

He wears the 2003 one, his brother and his nephew have the other two.

AR-190509378.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad