Confirmed with Link: Doc Emrick Retires

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Of course this one as well:

I love how absolutely childlike pumped Brodeur was on that. He couldn't even contain himself. It was pure.

Everytime I watched these clips and here R&R2 I hear "You suck" even though I know it wasn't being said. I find that irritating.

Reactions: mdj12784

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Forgot about this great episode on everything. Doc goes into how he joined on with the Devils around the 4 minute mark.

I truly do love how he's viewed as a part of our team, which is a big testament for Lou and how he viewed him. Hence why he has 3 Cup rings of his own, and would wear it on occasion on his national broadcasts. :)

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Forgot about this great episode on everything. Doc goes into how he joined on with the Devils around the 4 minute mark.

I truly do love how he's viewed as a part of our team, which is a big testament for Lou and how he viewed him. Hence why he has 3 Cup rings of his own, and would wear it on occasion on his national broadcasts. :)

I actually recorded and still have this on my DVR from years ago. Silly, eh?

Reactions: mdj12784

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
does anyone know who is replacing him? thorne perhaps?
Thorne’s only two years younger, age comes for for us all.

An interesting question, I don’t know. It obviously depends on who has the next US national broadcast contracts I guess. I’m up for younger talent to be groomed as well. (That sounds weird but I mean in a above board way.)

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
His speech about dogs at his retirement ceremony stuck with me for some reason.

Doing a quick search this is what I could find:

Empathy exudes from this man and I always appreciated that.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Doc and Chico were... I mean, it's not unfair to say they are probably one of the best duos to ever call hockey games in my opinion. Would anyone disagree with that?

I'm going to unironically post this office clip to describe my feelings about Doc and Chico:

Steve and Dano do an admirable job - though Dano still grinds my gears a bit - but just.. nothing will ever compare to the OGs.

Camille the Eel

In his prime here, he was a fabulous play by play guy for TV. Effortlessly annotating the flow of the action with the players‘ names, giving you just enough information, a capsule, “Albilene chips the puck back the other direction . . .” . It made the TV viewer make better sense of the game, augmenting the visual, and was just perfect. Wonderful voice and tone. The best.

In more recent years I felt he had become a bit too folksy. It was like he had to live up to his own identity. The asides were actually distracting. But maybe that’s what NBC wanted. The yarns, the folksy stories and cliches.

He and Chico together here were the gold standard. I bet he will be happy to be retired and not making flights now in Covid world.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
My Doc story was many, many years ago at one of the Devils fan club dinners/autograph things with the team. He got on line behind us waiting to get inside when they hadn't even opened the doors up yet. Numerous people told him just to bypass the line and he politely declined and said he would rather wait his turn and chat with us instead.

Chico and Doc were our best tv duo and will never be matched simply because like so many of us they were truly just fans of the Devils. They both loved(and love because Chico is still on radio and around) to interact with all of their fans and have a way of making themselves seem like they are simply a friend we just haven't seen in awhile instead of a total stranger.

I hope Doc has a fantastic retirement and I'll miss him calling games.

Last edited:

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I'm so sad I won't be hearing his voice every week calling games. When he left the Devils at least we had the national broadcasts. I grew up listening to Doc and Chico and I cannot imagine hockey without hearing Doc's voice. I met him a couple of times and he is literally the nicest man in the world.

Happy retirement, Doc!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad