Confirmed with Link: Doc Emrick Retires

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I've mentioned this in the past but I wish the kids zone area under the 2 main elevators was converted to mini musuem area where you could put plaques of the people in the ring of honor, a video screen showing highlights of them, etc etc etc It's not the biggest space but I can't think of any other space in the arena that would work.

I also wish we had hat trick wall like I've seen in Philly and Washington where they collect all the hats from that hat trick and put them in a wall to be seen with a description of who scored and the date and a tv showing the hat tricks.

yeah I definitely feel the outside area of prudential is really lacking and double so for the concourse area. They have a championship plaza but no mention of the players/coaches that made it possible? think something done out there or on the concourse would be better then a giant picture of doc on the ring of honor. or maybe every player that has a retired number gets a picture on the ring of honor too?

Reactions: Satans Hockey

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
I feel like growing up a Mets and Devils fan has left me spoiled when it comes to having access to great commentators. Doc really was the greatest in the game, one of the best of all time, and it got way too easy to take him for granted during his time in New Jersey.

I still remember sitting outside the Rock with some friends a number of years ago before a playoff game, pretty sure it was a deal where they still had cheap seats set aside for people who got on line early enough (I'm still sentimental over and miss the $10 ticket line), and a few concession workers came out with popcorn and stuff for those of us waiting. Well, one of them just so happened to be Doc, dressed in a wind jacket and baseball cap like he was in disguise, but he did nothing to try and hide his identity beyond that as he struck up conversations with anyone who wanted to say a few words, plus let everybody get a look at his 2003 Cup champions ring. I'm pretty sure I was just kind of dumbstruck to see him doing that, but that seemed to encapsulate the kind of guy he is.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Don't know if anyone read this yet, but this blurb from Eddie Olczyk on his story with Doc is hilarious.

The inside stories of Doc Emrick's career from those who lived it with him

Doc is going to get mad at me for this, but what the hell? We still laugh about it every time we talk about it.

So just to take you through it: before the game starts, we always go over all of our graphics and the promos, and there’s rehearsals, right? The billboards are what we run coming out of a break, and usually on the national shows those are done live. On the cable channel, they’re usually taped.

So one day, we were in St. Louis, I forget what year it was, but this was right around when TurboTax had a breach. We were doing a national game, but our understanding was that we were in rehearsal when we were recording the billboards. So Doc is reading them — you know, a Bud commercial, like, “the NHL on NBC brought to you by Budweiser, United Airlines and TurboTax.” And without a bat of an eyelash, Doc goes, “And TurboTax, it’s amazing what hackers can do.” He just gives a quick little, you know, and we laughed.

Well, what ended up happening was, instead of doing the billboards live, they ran Doc’s taped version. So we’re sitting there and all of a sudden here come the billboards and I’m going, “Usually we read these live, but maybe there was a problem and I just missed something.” Then I hear, “And brought to you by TurboTax, it’s amazing what hackers can do.”

They just kept his rehearsal because they thought it was so good, but nobody ever caught it. Everybody was just roaring when he did it at rehearsal, but when it really went out over the air, trust me, there was no laughing when that happened. I’m not kidding you, his phone was ringing in the booth. He was on the phone with Lou Oppenheim, our agent, I think calling the sales department. I was like, “This is probably not good. We’re probably writing a check to TurboTax for $50,000 for the sponsorship.”

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Quality on this video is not good as you can tell, but it's a fantastic call from Doc. This was the game right after the Niedermayer elbow incident against the Maple Leafs.

Arnott's goal, Doc's call and the subsequent eruption from the crowd gives me chills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad