Rumor: Do you want the Senators to sign Corey Perry?

Do you want the Ottawa Senators to sign Corey Perry?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Well, what you're saying is that you need two line drivers, not necessarily two centres.

Alfredsson is another example of a guy who drove his line from the wing.

Agree that Alfie somewhat fit the mold, but I'm not sure he single handedly drove a line through his career, as that is not easy to do from the wing. Guys like Kucherov and Kane led the entire league in scoring and also averaged more than an assist per game along the way. That is a big difference from the impact Alfie made, other than when the Sens loaded up their #1 line with their three best players.

For example, Ovi couldn't do it when you separated him from Backstrom. And for the Sens, separating Spezza-Heatley-Alfie didn't work either. It's not as easy to have a elite player on the top two lines that really drives the line. Part of it is the style of play

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Not a lot of elite centre prospects appear to get traded.

In Matt Duchene's case, it's hard to imagine them trading an elite centre prospect for another centre.

Sort of like a team trading for Zibanejad in exchange for Brassard? Was that not a case of the Rangers landing a legit scoring line center for a proven veteran center? Or the Sens trading for Turris back in the day? Or the Blues landing Schenn? I get that it is not easy and the timing is important, but I mean, we're not just talking about trading Duchene here either. We traded a Norris trophy winner in his prime, and one of the best wingers in the world in his prime.

And didn't get a center back.

That's my beef, as the Sens unloaded an unprecedented level of talent in those three trades, and while they got back a ton of talented pieces to help build around, we missed out in landing the most essential pieces to a cup winner - at least one elite young center who can be a top 15 center in the league, or a an elite #1 d-man who can be among the top 15 d-men in the league. They at least took a swing at #2 with Brannstrom in the Stone deal. But getting a center was more important given we already had Chabot IMO.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sort of like a team trading for Zibanejad in exchange for Brassard? Was that not a case of the Rangers landing a legit scoring line center for a proven veteran center? Or the Sens trading for Turris back in the day? Or the Blues landing Schenn? I get that it is not easy and the timing is important, but I mean, we're not just talking about trading Duchene here either. We traded a Norris trophy winner in his prime, and one of the best wingers in the world in his prime.

And didn't get a center back.

That's my beef, as the Sens unloaded an unprecedented level of talent in those three trades, and while they got back a ton of talented pieces to help build around, we missed out in landing the most essential pieces to a cup winner - at least one elite young center who can be a top 15 center in the league, or a an elite #1 d-man who can be among the top 15 d-men in the league. They at least took a swing at #2 with Brannstrom in the Stone deal. But getting a center was more important given we already had Chabot IMO.

I guess the challenge that I see is that you've spent a number of posts outlining just how critical an elite centre is and then assume that we would get one back in a trade for something else.

Wouldn't other teams have the same impression as you as to the importance of elite centres and elite centre prospects?

In cases where guys were traded you that you cited, like Turris and Zibanejad, you could argue that their impact and development was perceived as muted or stalled for whatever reason.

I suspect that no one had great expectations of either player and both exceeded them in the aftermath of the trades.

Meanwhile, we picked up a guy like Josh Norris who was seen as promising if not elite but he put up a season where I think it's fair to say he shattered those expectations.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Agree that Alfie somewhat fit the mold, but I'm not sure he single handedly drove a line through his career, as that is not easy to do from the wing.

Alfie absolutely drove any line he was on throughout his career - NHL and International. That guy was a monster defensively, in transition, off the rush and off they cycle.

If your bar to clear is over an assist per game then sure he falls short but if we can get another prime Alfie I will be overjoyed.

Not to take away from the C position but we know the game is different - F1/F2/F3 is the way so wingers do a lot more playmaking than they did in the past so having elite skilled wingers can have a huge impact.

Anyway, despite still not having a top #1C we still need help all over the place so just take the best player. I have no issues with our top 2 picks and while some of the later rounds can always be debated I will still just hold out to see some of the kids turn out.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
To clarify and in response to a few points, I totally acknowledge trading for one isn't easy, and you typically need to take advantage of a situation where there is an issue (depth chart, contract, stalled progress, off-ice, need a fresh start etc.). And I'm also very thankful Norris was in that Karlsson trade - I really do love him as a prospect. I was just really responding to the notion we are somewhat stacked at center. We have a lot of depth, some of it intriguing, but a long way to go to have the pieces required to compete.

Alfie absolutely drove any line he was on throughout his career - NHL and International. That guy was a monster defensively, in transition, off the rush and off they cycle.

If your bar to clear is over an assist per game then sure he falls short but if we can get another prime Alfie I will be overjoyed.

Not to take away from the C position but we know the game is different - F1/F2/F3 is the way so wingers do a lot more playmaking than they did in the past so having elite skilled wingers can have a huge impact.

While Alfie could drive a line at times for sure and was our best overall forward, I believe a guy like Yashin was a better example of a guy who made a line. I mean he was a Hart Trophy candidate scoring 94 points while playing with Dackell and McEachern, and neither of those guys cleared 60 points that year. And no one else on the team cleared 50 points. The year before he was our best scorer by 25 points as well. If we had figured out how to build a 2nd line around Alfie while Yashin was in his prime, we would have had a better shot in the late 90s. But we were an easy team to shutdown in a seven game series back then.

Anyway, despite still not having a top #1C we still need help all over the place so just take the best player. I have no issues with our top 2 picks and while some of the later rounds can always be debated I will still just hold out to see some of the kids turn out.

I agree. I have no issue with how we have drafted and continue to. I am actually happy we took Sanderson given our scouts think he was best, versus reaching for a center who might be considered lower impact longer term.

Reactions: TheDebater

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Totally took this thread sideways with a center rant - apologies.

Again, I'm good with bringing in a vet like Perry on a relatively short-term deal presuming he understands his role, that ice time will need to be earned for everyone, and if he isn't productive with the skill guys, he might be a bottom 6 guy - including to start the season.

We sometimes forget how thin we are of veterans and having a guy who won a cup to watch over the room and development of our culture, is not a bad risk mitigation strategy.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Totally took this thread sideways with a center rant - apologies.

Again, I'm good with bringing in a vet like Perry on a relatively short-term deal presuming he understands his role, that ice time will need to be earned for everyone, and if he isn't productive with the skill guys, he might be a bottom 6 guy - including to start the season.

We sometimes forget how thin we are of veterans and having a guy who won a cup to watch over the room and development of our culture, is not a bad risk mitigation strategy.

In a larger roster environment, sure i can see it

But this is going to he a short season with less dev time in terms of getting game experience

We need a bunch of our young guys graduating to young pros from rookies and we need some of the young pros graduating to prime time and to do that they need game experience

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
As much as i like the idea of bringing in Perry, it's hard to see the room. But if there will be expanded rosters to handle all the quarantining then a 1yr could work.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Perry is signed then traded at the deadline exactly how long would he be here? Two or 3 months at the most for a potential asset at the deadline, if he has a decent start to the season & somebody wants him. I doubt that would hurt any prospect's development & it's not so much as to what he would contribute, more that he would be a pain in the ass to our divisional rivals for a few months that would be so damn entertaining. And it's not like this team is going to win anything next season whenever it starts in Dec if they're lucky.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think my main gripe on "the rebuild", is we traded away Erik Karlsson, Mark Stone and Matt Duchene amongst others, and didn't get an elite center prospect back. We did get value back, but given the importance of centers, that was my main issue. Not sure how we get one now, other than continuing to be a lottery team and hoping to get lucky.

Tim Stuetzle fits that definition IMO. Josh Norris is also no slouch as the 2nd best Center prospect obtained during the firesale. And seriously, credit to Dorion to end up with these 2 guys because teams are now very wary of giving elite prospects (like Dallas who didn't want to give up Heiskanen for Karlsson)

Hopefully NHL hockey will be back soon and then we'll have a much clearer picture. I think we have a lot of potential at C with the guys I named and even if they don't all pan out, it's not the end of the world as there's basically just 2 spots to fill.

Reactions: Cosmix

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Yes. He’s won at every level and can help mentor the kids on a team with no captain. Playoffs also showed that he can still contribute in limited minutes. The cost will be marginal. I think we overestimate how many spots are needed this year for the kids.

Reactions: aragorn

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Yes. He’s won at every level and can help mentor the kids on a team with no captain. Playoffs also showed that he can still contribute in limited minutes. The cost will be marginal. I think we overestimate how many spots are needed this year for the kids.

You may be right, but is this a rebuild or not? A lot of this has been fed to fans from the team. The Kids are Alright doesn't exactly work with a couple of rookies that are 22-23 years old.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
You may be right, but is this a rebuild or not? A lot of this has been fed to fans from the team. The Kids are Alright doesn't exactly work with a couple of rookies that are 22-23 years old.

Just because they aren't on the Ottawa roster does not mean they aren't developing. Belleville is a fine god fearing place.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
bingo

why wouldnt you want him around to be a good role mode show the kids how to train and work to reach the level that Perry has reached

seems like a no brainer signing if he wants to actually come here

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
In a larger roster environment, sure i can see it

But this is going to he a short season with less dev time in terms of getting game experience

We need a bunch of our young guys graduating to young pros from rookies and we need some of the young pros graduating to prime time and to do that they need game experience
shortened season also means compressed schedule. Also likely that there will be a taxi squad or expanded roster size to say 26 players. Even more reason to secure more depth so the young guys arent overwhelmed or gassed

Reactions: aragorn

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Hard pass on Perry. Old, washed-up, not in any way shape or form a "leader". We need room for the boys who killed the AHL (Norris, Brown and Formenton).

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I don't really care. If he can't be beat out by a younger player for the spot maybe we should sign him.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
I’ve read that Corey Perry sign a 1 year/1M$ contract with Ottawa. Nothing is confirmed yet but the source is not from a known insider so take this with a grain of salt...

Reactions: Mack Attack

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Frank mention again Perry close to sign with a canadian team for 1 year at 1 m. Sounds like us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad