Do you think you would have outperformed Dorion?

Dorion vs You

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Only thing I question about this offseason...Is maybe the defense should have taken the first priority ???But gaining a stud like Debrincat was certainly a great move

Reactions: bicboi64

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Only thing I question about this offseason...Is maybe the defense should have taken the first priority ???But gaining a stud like Debrincat was certainly a great move
Its the first good and best offseason Dorion has had for sure. I think the cost of the D this summer wasnt an easy scenario to navigate. It should have been done last year before expansion. Seems impossible to move the Zaitsev money out at the current cost. I hope they give Thomson a real chance and ice time is distributed based on merit. Zaitsev shouldnt be in the lineup unless they are decimated by injury.

Reactions: topshelf15

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Its the first good and best offseason Dorion has had for sure. I think the cost of the D this summer wasnt an easy scenario to navigate. It should have been done last year before expansion. Seems impossible to move the Zaitsev money out at the current cost. I hope they give Thomson a real chance and ice time is distributed based on merit. Zaitsev shouldnt be in the lineup unless they are decimated by injury.
Don't sleep on JBD. Granted Thomson is the better skater but I think JBD is the better defender.. I think Thomson will get the nod 1st if he has a good camp but he stands out more due to his skating. I think JBD's decision making is better .. we'll see.

Reactions: topshelf15 and OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Don't sleep on JBD. Granted Thomson is the better skater but I think JBD is the better defender.. I think Thomson will get the nod 1st if he has a good camp but he stands out more due to his skating. I think JBD's decision making is better .. we'll see.
Tend to agree.

I think when JBD makes it up full time he may get criticism because there is no flash to his game but then after time everyone will appreciate he is just a steady, low event type of defender that is valuable as a complimentary D to Sanderson (eventually).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tend to agree.

I think when JBD makes it up full time he may get criticism because there is no flash to his game but then after time everyone will appreciate he is just a steady, low event type of defender that is valuable as a complimentary D to Sanderson (eventually).
Basically summed up exactly what I have been saying about JBD for some time now. Thomson might be slightly better offensively & it could come down to what exactly the Sens need more, a little more offence or to cut down on the goals against more. I don't see both moving on, I think one stays & one goes.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think Thomson is a better defender due to his size and mobility. His gap control is really strong, he closed players down very well.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Thomson is a better defender due to his size and mobility. His gap control is really strong, he closed players down very well.
Size wise there is no real advantage. I watched Belleville quite a bit and Mann really trusted JBD as a go to in defensive situations as the year progressed. Lassi's skating allows him to close for sure and likely can be more aggressive in gap control as well. In the Dzone and on break outs I like JBD more.

I think JBD is more Zub like and Lassi is more Zaitsev like. Zaitsev has good feet , and can close well and play the man well .. its the chaos in the Dzone that gets him in trouble where as Zub is not as dynamic a skater but is cool calm collected... takes the right angles and moves the puck under control.

Reactions: aragorn

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I will just ask what the point is?

You think it is worth the effort to go search past history so you can point out someone was wrong?

I have been wrong lots too but I haven't ever even considered going back to see who may have been wrong about X or Y. To each their own though, whatever helps people feel good about themselves.
Nope, I don’t, which is why I don’t personally do it. I don’t have the time or inclination to do deep dives into anything in here.

I was more saying that we shouldn’t really be offended, or get defensive if someone does take the time. There is often a lot of grief put out out in the threads, and to some it maybe be worthwhile to point of that after the dust settles, X poster was indeed wrong.

It’s good to own our mistakes, and sometimes have to face the things we say and do in ‘public’ after it has played out.

It doesn’t happen very often in here regardless.

Reactions: Sweatred

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Size wise there is no real advantage. I watched Belleville quite a bit and Mann really trusted JBD as a go to in defensive situations as the year progressed. Lassi's skating allows him to close for sure and likely can be more aggressive in gap control as well. In the Dzone and on break outs I like JBD more.

I think JBD is more Zub like and Lassi is more Zaitsev like. Zaitsev has good feet , and can close well and play the man well .. its the chaos in the Dzone that gets him in trouble where as Zub is not as dynamic a skater but is cool calm collected... takes the right angles and moves the puck under control.
This aligns with my viewings, though I'm not sure I'd have chosen Zaitsev to make the comparison...

I've always likened JBD to DeMelo in his time here, no real stand out qualities, but he seemed to get the job done regardless of the role he was asked to do. Calm, thinks the game well, plays within his means, and no glaring weaknesses (I guess he could add some strength). I feel he's got a little more upside, but somewhere in that space between DeMelo and Zub.

Thomson is more toolsy, perhaps tries to do more than he can, idk, I just find he gets into trouble more often, perhaps looking to make a better play or thinking his tools will get him out of trouble. The highs are higher, but the lows are lower; I think will improve as he goes though. He's already much improved since my early viewings.

Reactions: DrEasy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Nope, I don’t, which is why I don’t personally do it. I don’t have the time or inclination to do deep dives into anything in here.

I was more saying that we shouldn’t really be offended, or get defensive if someone does take the time. There is often a lot of grief put out out in the threads, and to some it maybe be worthwhile to point of that after the dust settles, X poster was indeed wrong.

It’s good to own our mistakes, and sometimes have to face the things we say and do in ‘public’ after it has played out.

It doesn’t happen very often in here regardless.
I guess I just don't see this place as a spot for life lessons.

I'm not defensive as so far nobody has taken the time to point out my mistakes LOL.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I guess I just don't see this place as a spot for life lessons.

I'm not defensive as so far nobody has taken the time to point out my mistakes LOL.
Sure, I mean this place is whatever each poster wants/needs it to be really.

We know there are few universal truths here beyond the desire for the Sens to kick ass :)

I agree, with the last bit, though I imagine those who would bother to take the time in my case have long since blocked me anyways lol!

• Haha
Reactions: OD99

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
There's no narrative about not spending money. We didn't spend money. That's not a narrative. It's a fact.
We literally spent money on Murray, Reilly, MDZ, Bobbby Ryan buyout, Zaitsev, Stepan, and now Hamonic.

The fact is we've spent money, just on very crap returns.

Reactions: lancepitlick

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We literally spent money on Murray, Reilly, MDZ, Bobbby Ryan buyout, Zaitsev, Stepan, and now Hamonic.

The fact is we've spent money, just on very crap returns.
We spent money at a rate that is the lowest possible rate under the CBA. In terms of actual dollars spent, it might've been roughly half what some big spending teams spent.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We spent money at a rate that is the lowest possible rate under the CBA. In terms of actual dollars spent, it might've been roughly half what some big spending teams spent.

Makes sense - our ticket revenue isn’t a quarter of what some good markets bring in. At our worst the past few years we would collect 10-20% of what the NYR, TOR, MTL’s make from their gate receipts/game day sales.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Makes sense - our ticket revenue isn’t a quarter of what some good markets bring in. At our worst the past few years we would collect 10-20% of what the NYR, TOR, MTL’s make from their gate receipts/game day sales.
It made sense because of where we were in the rebuild

Reactions: Sweatred

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Which makes it even stupider when you're a budget team and spending your money so badly.

The opposite of money ball.

Reactions: bicboi64

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This thread is a big ‘ol eye roll.

For the last few years of the rebuild we spent to the floor to save money, and we picked players from he pool that were ok being paid cheap one year deals from the worst team in the league.

We weren’t interested in paying for outside talent because we a) wanted to finish low enough to get good picks, and b) were going to get better slowly at the speed of the core players. The need the team identified at that stage was veteran mentorship and character, not skill.

Picking from the bargain bin, we could absolutely get high levels of character and NHL experience, which is what we were looking for.

Again, the goal was to insulate and mentor the young core while keeping the costs to the floor and the pucks high. Getting ‘good’ players from this category is an absolute gamble. Everyone is a reclamation project or at the end of their careers, because no one wants to toil as a temp on the worst team in the league.

We could have had some more hits on the skill side, but again, character and insulation was the goal, not adding skill and climbing the standings. This was explained by management to the fanbase. There were a few whiffs along with way like Stepan struggling, and Murray not being able to find his game, but most moves provided what they were meant to provide (character and mentorship while not moving us up the standings), and most players were flipped/traded for assets.

Clearly, the goals have changed, which has manifested in a different off season approach.

No, no one in here could have done a better rebuilding job. A different rebuilding job, sure, buts it’s absolute hubris to assume that all things being equal, anyone in here would have done better.

We are currently one of the most promising young teams in the league with an extremely bright looking future.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
This thread is a big ‘ol eye roll.

For the last few years of the rebuild we spent to the floor to save money, and we picked players from he pool that were ok being paid cheap one year deals from the worst team in the league.

We weren’t interested in paying for outside talent because we a) wanted to finish low enough to get good picks, and b) were going to get better slowly at the speed of the core players. The need the team identified at that stage was veteran mentorship and character, not skill.

Picking from the bargain bin, we could absolutely get high levels of character and NHL experience, which is what we were looking for.

Again, the goal was to insulate and mentor the young core while keeping the costs to the floor and the pucks high. Getting ‘good’ players from this category is an absolute gamble. Everyone is a reclamation project or at the end of their careers, because no one wants to toil as a temp on the worst team in the league.

We could have had some more hits on the skill side, but again, character and insulation was the goal, not adding skill and climbing the standings. This was explained by management to the fanbase. There were a few whiffs along with way like Stepan struggling, and Murray not being able to find his game, but most moves provided what they were meant to provide (character and mentorship while not moving us up the standings), and most players were flipped/traded for assets.

Clearly, the goals have changed, which has manifested in a different off season approach.

No, no one in here could have done a better rebuilding job. A different rebuilding job, sure, buts it’s absolute hubris to assume that all things being equal, anyone in here would have done better.

We are currently one of the most promising young teams in the league with an extremely bright looking future.
Amen brother. Amen.

“We are a team” is a huge part of Dorion’s plan. It’s a meme… but it’s definitely genius.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Amen brother. Amen.

“We are a team” is a huge part of Dorion’s plan. It’s a meme… but it’s definitely genius.
Yeah man, I mean there is lots to discuss and critcize about the approach and about individual moves, within the proper context of course.

But people pretending as though they could have done a better job is just ridiculous. We are literally looking like one of the best rebuilt team to come around in a long time.

This season should be a doozy.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
In some cases, yes. I feel like there have been a few perplexing galaxy brain moves that I absolutely would not have even considered. On the whole, though, absolutely not.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
In some cases, yes. I feel like there have been a few perplexing galaxy brain moves that I absolutely would not have even considered. On the whole, though, absolutely not.

That’s fair - sometimes when I don’t understand something … say like the acquisition of Stepan …. I default to assuming the people in the industry who have all the info and experience possible probably know something that I don’t ….

Instead of … assuming they are idiots and I know better.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
That’s fair - sometimes when I don’t understand something … say like the acquisition of Stepan …. I default to assuming the people in the industry who have all the info and experience possible probably know something that I don’t ….

Instead of … assuming they are idiots and I know better.

Like how Stepan had a newborn child and was forced to leave his wife and children behind in the middle of a pandemic?

That kind of info?

• Haha
Reactions: OD99

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Like how Stepan had a newborn child and was forced to leave his wife and children behind in the middle of a pandemic?

That kind of info?
Initially he rejected the opportunity, but apparently the border restrictions and time away started to take their toll.

He wasn’t forced to leave his family, they chose not to go together.

Super easy to know best once the dust has settled, but Stepan himself didn’t seem to perturbed by the trade at the time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Initially he rejected the opportunity, but apparently the border restrictions and time away started to take their toll.

He wasn’t forced to leave his family, they chose not to go together.

Super easy to know best once the dust has settled, but Stepan himself didn’t seem to perturbed by the trade at the time.
He's been around long enough to know it's part of the business and not make a stink about it, but it seems obvious it wouldn't have been an ideal situation for him. He's a good character guy though so he wasn't about to rock the boat.

Reactions: Ice-Tray
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad