Do you think there's another gear for Connor Mcdavid? (points wisely)

Do you think there's another gear for Connor Mcdavid? (points wisely)

• Yes

Votes: 122 51.3%
  • No

Votes: 116 48.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
People shit on McDavid's 2021 season because of the Canadian division, but strictly age-wise, and comparing him to other offensive savants from the past, it was perfectly reasonable that this would be his highest level of play.

That was peak McDavid, along with last year's playoffs. It won't get any better than that. Maybe he still has a season of that level in the tank, but not much more. That doesn't mean he won't still win Art Rosses though, just that he won't be as Godly while doing it.
I think it's perfectly reasonable to think that McDavid did hit his peak in the Canadian division, and that it was just unlucky that it happened that year.

I also think that it's perfectly reasonable to look at his production from the 2 years prior, and 1 year after it, and think that the high /gp production had more to do with unusual circumstances. It sucks if it was actually his peak, but the below items are way too important to completely rule out that it was just an anomaly and not indicative of what McDavid would have done in a normal season.

a) Shortened season
b) Only played against 6 teams (loses the majority of the diversity a normal NHL Season brings)
c) Tons of teams with roster issues due to COVID and family matters
d) The potential context that some players didn't care to play at all in the bubble, possibly leading to lower effort/competition

To conclude, I think it's perfectly fair to lean either way, but the biggest issue is we just will never know.

devo09

Feb 20, 2012
Nonsense, find me a single pure offensive superstar who had his best year (based on Hart voting and general consensus) after age 27.

Peak is peak. Training, diet, supplementation is the most overrated argument on this board. Clearly, Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe growing up had wayyyyy better diet (and training=farm work) than modern players, based on how they looked.
Sorry science isn’t your thing man. Lol

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Sorry science isn’t your thing man. Lol

He's 100% correct though.

Crosby peaked at age 23 (2010-11) and was in his peak from 2009-10 to 2013-14 (ages 22-26).

Ovechkin peaked at age 22 (2007-08) and was in his peak from 2007-08 to 2009-10 (ages 22-24).

Malkin peaked in 2011-12 (age 25).

Kane peaked in 2015-16 (age 27).

Kucherov peaked in 2018-19 (age 25).

Joe Thornton peaked in 2005-06 (age 26).

You get odd cases outside this, but it's absolutely the standard for offensives players to peak at age 27 or younger.

This is still true if you look at Gretzky, Lemieux, and Howe or any other pre modern star.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Their peak may have lasted that long, but their absolute point total peak did not. Without looking too far into league-wide scoring (which is of course needed context), here's a breakdown of the 'X' aged season that some of the GOATS had their best point total at:

21​
Orr
22​
Howe
24​
Lemieux
23​
Jagr
23​
Crosby
19​
Ovechkin
22​
Hull Sr.
30​
*** Howe's was technically 40 years old, but league-wide scoring increased 25%, and season length increased.

This is the big-4, as well as the 4 forwards that I think have the best arguments for #5 (which is the kind of company McDavid is trending towards). Understandably a small sample size of players, but for McDavid to hit a his highest point total at 26 or older, he'd be an outlier here (like Hull).

Eh, a lot of those are influenced by league scoring going down throughout their careers or injuries as much as Howe’s was influenced by the opposite. Crosby’s best scoring relative to the league was 23-26. Jagr’s best year was at 26. Gretzky’s best point total was actually at 25. There’s an argument that Lemieux’s best per game season was at 27. It really wouldn’t be that unusual for him to have his best scoring season in the next 2 years, especially since league scoring has gone up and he’s lost two 82 game seasons to Covid. He likely doesn’t have an actual higher level, but I think people underrate the effect of variance.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
McDavid has a 150 point season in him. 50 goals, 100 assists

He'll have Kane and Hyman as regular linemates and will feed Drai on the PP. The Oilers have competent puck movers on the back end also

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yes he showed that gear in the playoffs. However, I think he will still hold that extra gear for the playoffs.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
It’s insane to think about , but I think he hasn’t hit his career season yet. What a talent!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
More than likely he's not going to hit a higher gear than he did in 20-21

He hit another gear in the 2022 playoffs where he was putting up Gretzky/Lemieux type offensive numbers while playing strong defensive hockey and several big hits.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
not really because like Crosby I can see him modifying his game to be a much more dynamic 2 way player in order to win cups which may hurt his scoring totals but cements his place in the top 5 players of all time.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Kinda, depends on the semantics of the word gear.

His 2020-21 season was near a prime Gretzky level. Equivalent to 155 or 160 points this year. Obviously, he didn't do that. A shortened season and a wonky schedule makes it hard to compare.

If he can replicate over a full season it becomes the best season ever outside the Big Four. Whether or not you call that another gear is up to you.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
123 points
116 points
108 points
105 points
100 points

all above are great numbers but...

considering how insane fast skater he is and his skill level,
anyone still expect him to rise to even higher level?
to find another (proverbial) gear

I have waited tbh, when he starts to hit 130+ 140 point seasons
or even more, that has yet to happen, anyone think it will?
He’s 25 now. Historically, the generational forwards we’ve seen have hit their statistical peak by then already. His peak was likely this past playoffs and the shortened season the year before this past one.

I think we’ve seen his best, production wise. He’ll probably become a more complete player in terms of two-way play as he ages though, like Crosby did.

Busher

May 17, 2021
He’s 25 now. Historically, the generational forwards we’ve seen have hit their statistical peak by then already. His peak was likely this past playoffs and the shortened season the year before this past one.

I think we’ve seen his best, production wise. He’ll probably become a more complete player in terms of two-way play as he ages though, like Crosby did.

I would agree. For the best forwards, you generally get what you see by age 25.

mapleleafslaughssame

May 20, 2022
Personally I think he could if he worked on his shot and goal scoring a bit more he would defintly be more dangerous and potential score more. Maybe put some more muscle on looks pretty skinny for a pro athlete and he isn’t short either.

Similar to how Crosby worked on his shot one summer and then scored 50.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I would agree. For the best forwards, you generally get what you see by age 25.

I think with him it’s more about whether the perfect storm could cause him to score more (linemates, chemistry, puck luck, etc) rather than actually being another level of player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad