Do you think there's another gear for Connor Mcdavid? (points wisely)

Do you think there's another gear for Connor Mcdavid? (points wisely)

• Yes

Votes: 122 51.3%
  • No

Votes: 116 48.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
If league scoring keeps increasing, I don't see why not.

Personally, I'm more interested in how much more he can seperate himself from his peers rather than how high his raw point total can get.

It's more impressive to reach 110 points when the rest of the top 10 scorers have 80 points than it is to reach 130 when everyone else is flirting around 110.

Reactions: TheStatican

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
If league scoring keeps increasing, I don't see why not.

Personally, I'm more interested in how much more he can seperate himself from his peers rather than how high his raw point total can get.

It's more impressive to reach 110 points when the rest of the top 10 scorers have 80 points than it is to reach 130 when everyone else is flirting around 110.

He did what you wanted in 2020-2021. He had 105 while everyone else other than his teammate scored in the 60s. He had more assists than every player in the league had points, other than Drai. He won the scoring title by 25% over said teammate and by 52% over the closest non-teammate. Among the first 20 scorers below him, he had as many points as #19 and #20 did combined.

Asking for year in and year out Gretzky level scoring separation is unreasonable. Routinely winning scoring titles and scoring at a 120-130 clip (based on raw totals and PPG) year after year after year is supreme dominance in its own right.

Barring injuries, 3 more Rosses in the likely 12 seasons he has left, gives him more scoring titles than every player in history other than Gretzky. 1 more gives him as many as Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin combined. 3 more gives him as many as that trio factoring in the 2 that Crosby fans always harp on about him losing due to injuries.

Dominance rarely seen that outweighs raw point totals and percentage wins.

Last edited:

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Absolutely. McDavid has the capability to hit 140-150 points. He's proven that pretty resoundingly.

The gap between him and the rest is evident.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Likely not, as the team gets better around him his minutes likely come down a bit. Unless Woodcroft falls into the same trap every other coach has and overplays him

Evergreen

No. He’s turning 26 this season. Statistically he’s already on the later end of his peak for production as a forward. He is what he is at this point.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Depends if he gets bored of torching the league and lets his foot off the gas pedal to keep the ross race interesting

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
I don't see what could be the next level. He already plays about as much as you can play a forward. He's playing in an era that is high scoring. He's playing in an era with bad goaltending. He plays right now in probably the most high-scoring and weakest division. He's not required to play that much defense, although it's true his defensive numbers looked better last season. He's not Wayne Gretzky. He's not going to all of a sudden score 165 points. Not happening.
Bad goaltending lol? compared to what era. Probs the most ridiculous thing I've read.

On average I'd say goalies today are better than any other era.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bad goaltending lol? compared to what era. Probs the most ridiculous thing I've read.

On average I'd say goalies today are better than any other era.
SV%'s are down recently. There are less goalies considered elite starting goalies. Goaltending is better than the 1970's or 1980's, but it's probably worse than 10 years ago.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Last year he would have put up 135-140 if not for being anchored by Puljujarvi and his insanely poor finishing for most of the year. I think he likely hits 130+ at some point over the next couple of years if he can stay healthy.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
He put up a 169 point pace in the playoffs last year.

Obviously harder to do over 82 games, but I think that proved he has another gear. I don't think 140 is out of the question on a career year.

Note: Scoring has gone up which doesn't hurt
Playoff pace doesn't mean much. Rick Middleton once scored at a 159 point pace in a playoffs yet the most he ever scored in a season was 105.

That said I do think Conner can put up a 130+ point season(140 absolute tops) and even though I feel he's a bit overrated by some on here I honestly hope he does. Though if I'm being honest that's mostly because I just don't want that russian douchebag Kucherov to be able to lay claim to having the highest single point season of the cap-era anymore.

That said Conner's window is closing. The peak years for nearly all NHL players scoring-wise is normally the mid to late 20's(usually mid 20's for the top superstars) and he's there right now. Big playoff performances can be harbingers of a big regular season the following year... So lets go McD! It's now or never, let's see what you really got.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
I voted "yes" because his next gear is to get through an entire season at the ~160 pace that we have seen from him in month-long spurts.

Even if he can't run through the entire schedule at that pace, playing that way consistently could get him to 130 or 140. Those would be astonishing numbers in a modern context -- outside of the high-scoring era 1981-1996, only one player has ever broken 140 and that guy was playing with Bobby Orr against expansion teams.

Lafleur, Trottier, Dionne?

I guess you could count those seasons as happening in higher scoring years too but then I'd argue 1995-96 when Lemieux and Jagr put up 161 & 149 wasn't really a higher scoring year considering the gpg was the exact same as it was this past season.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think that he has a higher level of play to reach, but I could see him scoring more than 140 if healthy and with some puck luck.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
None of those guys hit 140
Neither has McDavid.

Let's not talk like that's a given for him when really 140 is still a long shot. Yes I know he had 105 in 56 but that doesn't mean he would have put up 150+ Nevermind the exceptional circumstances behind that season.

Crosby had 95 in 56 in 06-07 a 139 point pace but ended up with 120.

Fedorov had 93 in 56 in 93-94 a 136 point pace but also ended up with 120.

Ovechkin had 88 in 52 in 09-10 a 139 pace but ended with 109 in 72 a 124 pace.

History is full of players including genrational ones in relatively recent seasons(Crosby and Ovi) who were pacing for much higher totals at the 2/3rds make but fell off that pace by nearly 20 points by seasons end.

I'm pretty confident baring injury McDavid has at least one 130 point season in him, which in itself will be an impressive achievement. But unless overall scoring levels continue to climb I doubt he hits 140/150.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
No, most players peak offensively prior to his current age. I wouldn't be surprised if this past playoffs is the highest level we'll ever see him play at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad