Do you hate players or fans more in rivalries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceonfire*

Fans AINEC.

There are a few teams in the league that I would actually like if it wasn't for their fan bases.

Rivalries are always made worse because of the fans. Invading barns, trash talk etc..

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Now it's fans easily. Back before the Internet and message boards, however, players and teams.

Good call. Growing up in the 90s the love/hate was all about the players. Hell I even liked the Ducks because I was a huge fan of Kariya, pre-SJ Selanne, and a lot of their other players (the Stars on the other hand...), but with so many new ways to interact with other fans they've taken over in the hatred department, although L.A., Anaheim, and Dallas still have plenty of d bags on their respective teams.

Last edited:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Easily the fans. Several teams namely LA, Ottawa, and Winnipeg have the most obnoxious fans.

As for the rivals:

Penguins: Their fans aren't that bad actually. Most of them are knowledgeable and reasonable. But of course there are a few bad eggs. However, I really dislike the team.

Rangers: Same as Penguins.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Excellent thread to the OP - When I am on HF Boards, it is DEFINITELY fans.

When I'm not, it could be players, but it is usually the whole package, fans, goalhorns, PA announcer, players.

For Minnesota, it was players when Bertuzzi was a Canuck(not a rivalry to them), and Secord was a Hawk. That is much more rare IMHO, but runs much deeper.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
For the most part it is fans. There are exceptions but generally the players do not cross the line generally. Not nearly as much as fans do.

penguins2946*

Easily the fans. Several teams namely LA, Ottawa, and Winnipeg have the most obnoxious fans.

As for the rivals:

Penguins: Their fans aren't that bad actually. Most of them are knowledgeable and reasonable. But of course there are a few bad eggs. However, I really dislike the team.

Rangers: Same as Penguins.

I've noticed that as well. I don't know if it's just HF, but a lot of Kings fans on HF just seem extremely arrogant and condescending. I haven't met any big Kings fans IRL, the only ones I've met are just bandwagon Kings fans.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Folks,

*climbs up on pulpit*

Let this be a lesson to us all on the hazards of jingoism, bigotry, fanatacism. extremism, nationalism, xenophopbia, and all other forms of irrational hatred.

Sports teach us to behave that way.

*steps down from pulpit*

bobbyt911

I've noticed that as well. I don't know if it's just HF, but a lot of Kings fans on HF just seem extremely arrogant and condescending. I haven't met any big Kings fans IRL, the only ones I've met are just bandwagon Kings fans.

agree its annoying to see a new Kings fan act all high and mighty, but the ones that were there during the bad yrs have every right to be

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Depends.

Boston - both
Toronto - fans (and Homophobic Sluroof)
Calgary - fans
Chicago - players
LA - players

Aceonfire*

They don't exist IRL. All of the Kings posters on HF are PR staffers for L.A. :sarcasm:

I obviously kid.

But when you look at it from the LA fans POV, they are always going to be called bandwagoners etc..

I don't blame them for being a little bitter lol.

penguins2946*

They don't exist IRL. All of the Kings posters on HF are PR staffers for L.A. :sarcasm:

I obviously kid.

But when you look at it from the LA fans POV, they are always going to be called bandwagoners etc..

I don't blame them for being a little bitter lol.

Pens fans have been called bandwagoners a ton over the years, I don't see any bitterness with them here. Mainly pity on HF. Then again, it could have been different in 2008 and 2009.

Aceonfire*

Vokouna Maattata;94613495[B said:
]Pens fans have been called bandwagoners a ton over the years,[/B] I don't see any bitterness with them here. Mainly pity on HF. Then again, it could have been different in 2008 and 2009.

It usually gets brought up when discussing whether or not the Crosby draft was rigged.

Chicago fans still get it also.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Probably fans.

For example, I'm a sharks fan, but I don't hate the ducks. I like watching players like Getzlaf and Perry play, yet there is this fan rule that I'm supposed to hate the whole team and say so or so player is a punk or whatever. For me, a rivalry is determined by how entertaining a game is. Sharks/Ducks games are always entertaining and that makes for a strong rivalry. I don't like being told who I can or can't "like"

Saintpatrick*

I agree. Never had any real hate towards the kings till I interacted with their "fans" on HF. Now I actively root against the Kings

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Depends.

Islanders - compeletely loathe both their fans and their team. Especially now that they had a great start.

Devils - used to be dead even between the two. But the Devils as a team dont aggravate me nearly as much as they used to.

Penguins - hate the team way more.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
This is dumb. You expect people to not dislike rival fans ? We're all the same. Just some teams have a lot more fans which makes it more apparent. You'd actually find that most of the type of fans you hate also cheer for your team.

Aceonfire*

This is dumb. You expect people to not dislike rival fans ? We're all the same. Just some teams have a lot more fans which makes it more apparent. You'd actually find that most of the type of fans you hate also cheer for your team.

Sure in some ways. Many Oil fans hate other Oil fans. A passionate fan base is going to have that problem.

I think online interaction makes it worse though. It is way easier to trash talk so fans that don't normally interact end up hating each other.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Wild- fans, though they have quite a few hate able players

Blues- players, mostly backes and Stewart while he was there

Red wings: name/logo (really just a habit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad