Do you consider Matthews a 'Generational' player or talent?

Do you consider Matthews 'generational' kind of player?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Matthews has shown improvement every year. 259 goals in his first 6 seasons. He's only 25 and just entering his prime. Whatever word we use to describe him, the kid is definitely top 3-5 in the league right now. He could easily become top 1 or 2 if he continues this pace.

Btw, I'm a Hab fan and it's very difficult for me to compliment a Leaf but, let's give the kid the credit he deserves.

I don't think this gets highlighted or recognized enough, how he's improved every year. It's truly remarkable.

Goals per game from years 1 to 6 are:

(years 2 to 3 was stagnant, or even slight decimal decrease, but so close you can almost overlook it).

Points per game from years 1 to 6 are:

It's absolutely incredible how in both goals per game and points per game he's gone up each year for 6 straight years. Even going into last year, most people thought he wouldn't because the covid season increased his numbers, but he again did go up in both somehow.

You have to assume this stops at some point. If he plays 82 games this year and increases his goals per game again, the lower number of goals he'd score is 68 and points is 120.

I suspect last year may have been a career year for him, but we'll see.

To remain on topic - no he's not generational, and that's because my bar for generational is extremely high. But - he's obviously great.

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Gretzky
Orr
Mario
Howe
Sid (imagine if he never lost his prime to injury)

Everyone else are exceptional franchise players.

If Sid is generational then so is McDavid. McDavid has been more dominant individual player of the two compared to their respective peers.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Seeing a lot of Ovi isn't and Crosby is in this thread which is fine, people are entitled to their opinions. But if ovi isn't, then Matthew's is hilariously not even in the realm of almost maybe close.

Reactions: Regal

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I am a fan of a rival team and I didn't really like some of their fans behavior in the recent past but Matthews currently has the 3rd highest G/PG of all time (if you don't count early 1900's)... behind only Bossy and Lemieux

If he continues on that path, he's easily generational IMO and I am assuming this will keep going on for a decade. Not to mention, the era adjusted periods would favor Matthews even more. This is sad for non Leafs fans but it is what it is.

IMO, generational players can overlap themselves and can be more than one in a certain period of time and particularly since there is different roles and positions. There's also a difference with Elite/Superstars like MacKinnon and Draisaitl IMO.

Here's how I see it below (not looking before the 80's/Gretzky)

Offensive dynamos : Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, McDavid

Goal scorers : Ovechkin, Matthews

2-way forwards : Messier, Francis, Sakic, Bergeron

Defensemen : Coffey, Bourque, Lidstrom

Goalies : Hasek, Roy, Brodeur

There is also debatable guys like Brett Hull, Joe Thornton or Steve Yzerman but I find they didn't have an enough complete game for large parts of their careers so they're borderline. There's also guys like Eric Lindros, Mike Bossy, Pavel Bure, Peter Forsberg or Erik Karlsson who would have been generational if they weren't ruined by injuries

Finally, new guys seem to emerge like Makar, Vasilevskiy and Shesterkin who look like they could be of that quality. We'll see in the next few years but Vasilevskiy already has a pretty strong case at 28 y/o

I understand that some of the guys above will be "debatable" but don't get too stuck into semantics. I know that's also a lot of "generational players" for a 40 years span but IMO they are clearly a tier above the Elite/Superstar guys

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I am a fan of a rival team and I didn't really like some of their fans behavior in the recent past but Matthews currently has the 3rd highest G/PG of all time (if you don't count early 1900's)... behind only Bossy and Lemieux

If he continues on that path, he's easily generational IMO and I am assuming this will keep going on for a decade. Not to mention, the era adjusted periods would favor Matthews even more. This is sad for non Leafs fans but it is what it is.

IMO, generational players can overlap themselves and can be more than one in a certain period of time and particularly since there is different roles and positions. There's also a difference with Elite/Superstars like MacKinnon and Draisaitl IMO.

Here's how I see it below (not looking before the 80's/Gretzky)

Offensive dynamos : Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, McDavid

Goal scorers : Bossy, Bure, Ovechkin, Matthews

2-way forwards : Messier, Francis, Sakic, Bergeron

Defensemen : Coffey, Bourque, Lidstrom

Goalies : Hasek, Roy, Brodeur

There is also debatable guys like Brett Hull, Joe Thornton or Steve Yzerman but I find they didn't have an enough complete game for large parts of their careers so they're borderline. There's also guys like Eric Lindros, Peter Forsberg or Erik Karlsson who would have been generational if they weren't ruined by injuries

Finally, new guys seem to emerge like Makar, Vasilevskiy and Shesterkin who look like they could be of that quality. We'll see in the next few years but Vasilevskiy already has a pretty strong case at 28 y/o

I understand that some of the guys above will be "debatable" but don't get too stuck into semantics. I know that's also a lot of "generational players" for a 40 years span but IMO they are clearly a tier above the Elite/Superstar guys
The snag you run into when you compare per game rates is that the vast majority of history has players playing well after their prime to drag the numbers down.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
No, Crosby and McDavid are what generational look like.

Matthews is a fantastic player and a rare talent, but he is not near the generational level

How about Ovechkin, you know the guy who is the greatest goal scorer of all time?

He would probably be close to 900 goals and counting if not for the lockouts.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
No goalies?

Carey Price? What about Defenseman?

no goalies for me, no. I think those are the 3 players that stand out in history as undeniably better than everyone else.

I believe the term "generational" is drastically over used. It's reserved for a player whos skillset/capabilities comes along once in a generation (15-25 years). I also don't like to water it down with generational goal scorer b/c it's too open for a term reserved for so few IMO.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Elite? Yes. Generational? No.

I would put him in the same tier of players like Brett Hull, Mike Bossy, etc. Most likely a HOFer, but not a "once in a generation" type of player.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
No. Generational players carry teams on their backs in the playoffs. Erik Karlsson was closer to generational for the Sens than Matthews is for the Leafs.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
no goalies for me, no. I think those are the 3 players that stand out in history as undeniably better than everyone else.

I believe the term "generational" is drastically over used. It's reserved for a player whos skillset/capabilities comes along once in a generation (15-25 years). I also don't like to water it down with generational goal scorer b/c it's too open for a term reserved for so few IMO.
I think Price is a generation talent in the Cap era. He was drafted 18 years ago. I don't think there has been a better goalie in that time, including at the Olympic level. But it's easier to say when you see the full body of work. Hasek and Roy were also generational goalies in my book - pre-cap era.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Not yet, but maybe.

McDavid and Makar are generational.

If there is a 3rd guy in the league… Matthews is it. Tough call. He hasn’t even won a playoff round yet so I’m still a no. But another 60 goal season and the convo keeps moving in his direction.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Not yet, but maybe.

McDavid and Makar are generational.

If there is a 3rd guy in the league… Matthews is it. Tough call. He hasn’t even won a playoff round yet so I’m still a no. But another 60 goal season and the convo keeps moving in his direction.

That would be Crosby.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The snag you run into when you compare per game rates is that the vast majority of history has players playing well after their prime to drag the numbers down.

Yes and I edited because Bure and Bossy fit with Forsberg and others who would have been generational if they weren't ruined by injuries

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Doesn't "generational player" imply they are the best player of their generation?

Howe
Makita
Orr
Lafleur
Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
McDavid

HM: Bobby Hull, Esposito, Jagr, Ovechkin

I don't foresee Matthew's name being added to the above list.

Last edited:

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Generational is supposed to mean something highly special:

Sid
Ovi
McD

Those are the 3 that can be considered generational these past few decades.

No knock on Matthews he's a great player.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
still too early, but I dont use the term generational as loosely as others.

If Patrick Kane is "generational" then yes, Matthews will be.

Persoanlly, I consider "generational" a top 20 players of all-time more or less.

Last edited:
Reactions: MuckOG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad