Do you consider Matthews a 'Generational' player or talent?

Do you consider Matthews 'generational' kind of player?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
No goalies?

Carey Price? What about Defenseman?

I'm a big Price homer and no... just not enough longevity to make it. Erik Karlsson was the closest to a generational defenseman in the Cap era, and same issue - longevity is just not there.

I don't think there's been a generational goalie since the Roy/Hasek days. I mean, no goalie stood out like a McDavid.

Defensemen are the same, which D in the past 17 years had you go "Oh my, this guys is the clear cut best player in the NHL". Only one that came close was Karlsson.

Idk why that is, perhaps it's just a byproduct of most players being forwards and it's simply a probability act?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm a big Price homer and no... just not enough longevity to make it. Erik Karlsson was the closest to a generational defenseman in the Cap era, and same issue - longevity is just not there.

I don't think there's been a generational goalie since the Roy/Hasek days. I mean, no goalie stood out like a McDavid.

Defensemen are the same, which D in the past 17 years had you go "Oh my, this guys is the clear cut best player in the NHL". Only one that came close was Karlsson.

Idk why that is, perhaps it's just a byproduct of most players being forwards and it's simply a probability act?
If you completely disregard Lidstrom maybe.

Reactions: klozge and abo9

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I think Matthews is a Malkin/Sakic level player. "Elite" and "franchise" labels don't do enough justice in describing how good these players are, but are they generational? I guess it's ultimately semantics and your interpretation.

if you were the Leafs or anyother team and Matthews were to leave your organization, you could go decades before (if you ever do) acquire another player who adds as much value as he did on the ice

Reactions: Puckstuff

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I think Matthews is a Malkin/Sakic level player. "Elite" and "franchise" labels don't do enough justice in describing how good these players are, but are they generational? I guess it's ultimately semantics and your interpretation.

if you were the Leafs or anyother team and Matthews were to leave your organization, you could go decades before (if you ever do) acquire another player who adds as much value as he did on the ice
Yeah, he's generational for the Leafs franchise. Likely going to go down as the best player in franchise history.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
While Matthew might never win the Art Ross, McDavid will never will the Rocket. He is not a generational goal scorer.

I think it's a bit questionable to say McDavid will never win the Rocket. McDavid's in the same boat as Crosby where both are more known for their playmaking ability, but they're also good enough at scoring goals to be a double threat.

Crosby won 2 Rockets in seasons he probably had a bit more puck luck than in most of his seasons, so I don't see why McDavid wouldn't be able to have something similar happen where he has one or two of those seasons where everything he directs at the net just happens to go in.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I think it's a bit questionable to say McDavid will never win the Rocket. McDavid's in the same boat as Crosby where both are more known for their playmaking ability, but they're also good enough at scoring goals to be a double threat.

Crosby won 2 Rockets in seasons he probably had a bit more puck luck than in most of his seasons, so I don't see why McDavid wouldn't be able to have something similar happen where he has one or two of those seasons where everything he directs at the net just happens to go in.

It’s just as questionable as claiming AM will never win an Art Ross…

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Matthews has shown improvement every year. 259 goals in his first 6 seasons. He's only 25 and just entering his prime. Whatever word we use to describe him, the kid is definitely top 3-5 in the league right now. He could easily become top 1 or 2 if he continues this pace.

Btw, I'm a Hab fan and it's very difficult for me to compliment a Leaf but, let's give the kid the credit he deserves.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Randyne

May 20, 2012
So you don't think suddenly dipping to 5 30sh goal seasons the following 7 years is falling off? including two straight after the time you reference. Let's agree to disagree.
what?
In 17 years Ovi has only two 30sh goal seasons. In other 3 he paced 55, 44 and 40 goals.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The word 'generational' gets thrown around here as much as 'quietly.'
But no, Matthews is NOT generational.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Good question, you could persuade me either way. And I don’t think either answer is a insult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad