Nov 24, 2009
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
McDavid-Tavares-Stamkos
Hall-Toews-MacKinnon
Benn-Scheifele-Seguin
Giroux
Getzlaf
etc.

Yea, who wouldn't want to watch that right now?
A big middle finger goes out to the NHL/IOC.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
McDavid-Tavares-Stamkos
Hall-Toews-MacKinnon
Benn-Scheifele-Seguin
Giroux
Getzlaf
etc.

Yea, who wouldn't want to watch that right now?
A big middle finger goes out to the NHL/IOC.

What percentage of Olympic hockey games are compelling? I won't miss it.

That being said, I understand why everyone else is salty. For Euro NHL fans this is the biggest chance to watch their countryman play together, and Canadian's would get another Gold. Maybe as a US hockey fan the terrible team construction soured me on the whole thing.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation

That being said, I understand why everyone else is salty. For Euro NHL fans this is the biggest chance to watch their countryman play together, and Canadian's would get another Gold. Maybe as a US hockey fan the terrible team construction soured me on the whole thing.
If it makes you feel better, America wouldn't have won anyway.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Yes. NHL players are the best in the world, and them not being at the Olympics leaves the hockey tourney lacking. It's not going to be as exciting, nor will it be best on best.

My interest has lessened a lot but I will still watch it.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Also the time zone thing has killed my interest, even if the NHL were there, I cant wake up at 540AM (PST) to start watching a hockey game because I have to get to work before 7AM. And by 10AM (PST) I am no where even close to being off to watch a game. I do not watch replays, nothing is more annoying than not watching a game live and having to avoide all your sports feeds all day. So at best I would have watched portions of one or two games to begin with, without NHL'ers there I won't watch any. Same goes when the Olympics are in China, I am not staying up or waking up at some ungodly hour to watch a game that I won't even be able to finish, and as I said replays are just boring as hell and annoying because you have to dodge all of your sports feeds so the game doesn't get spoiled for yourself. Which I am not going to do for an entire day till I will finally get to sit down and watch a game in the evening.

Again to say, I would love best on best hockey. But I understand fully why they are not there. And just because of scheduling NHL players or no NHL players I probably won't watch a game, maybe one or two, when the games are played in China.

Last edited:

Mensch

Jan 22, 2018
It’s about the flag so just be happy and cheer on your country. These athletes have worked exceptionally hard to get to this point and deserve every bit as much attention as we would give our favourite millionaire nhlers.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
A lot of people may hate me for this, but I like it better this way. I'm one of the few people who really likes the AllStar game, and skills competition. It's fun, I always watch. Plus I like the Olympics being more of a wide-open tournament without the NHL players. It's more fun when teams like Sweden and Slovakia have a chance instead of just CAN/USA/RUS.

The NHL players deserve to go, and I hate the way the league handled the situation. And having NHLers in the Olympics helps sell the game. It's stupid that they aren't going... But for me, personally, I prefer it this way.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
A lot of people may hate me for this, but I like it better this way. I'm one of the few people who really likes the AllStar game, and skills competition. It's fun, I always watch. Plus I like the Olympics being more of a wide-open tournament without the NHL players. It's more fun when teams like Sweden and Slovakia have a chance instead of just CAN/USA/RUS.

The NHL players deserve to go, and I hate the way the league handled the situation. And having NHLers in the Olympics helps sell the game. It's stupid that they aren't going... But for me, personally, I prefer it this way.
You think this gives Sweden a better chance of winning? I disagree. Sweden was in the gold medal game last Olympics. I'd rather see the best players there but I understand why they aren't.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
You think this gives Sweden a better chance of winning? I disagree. Sweden was in the gold medal game last Olympics. I'd rather see the best players there but I understand why they aren't.

Ok, maybe I typed a bit too quick. I haven't really brushed up on every country's roster. Maybe it's not better for Sweden specifically. But it is way more open than it would be otherwise.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Ok, maybe I typed a bit too quick. I haven't really brushed up on every country's roster. Maybe it's not better for Sweden specifically. But it is way more open than it would be otherwise.
I have no clue who is going to win. I haven't followed the situation. I'm not even sure if Russia is going to send a team.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I have no clue who is going to win. I haven't followed the situation. I'm not even sure if Russia is going to send a team.

They will, just not under the Russian flag. They will be allowed to send players under the title 'olympic athletes of Russia (O.A.R)'. They will probably be the favourite. But I know very little about the rosters from other countries.

Kinda fun watching lesser known players mane a name for themselves.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Glad they aren't going, now just do away with the All Star Weekend and all will be good.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
They will, just not under the Russian flag. They will be allowed to send players under the title 'olympic athletes of Russia (O.A.R)'. They will probably be the favourite. But I know very little about the rosters from other countries.

"Lesser known player"

You mean washed up NHLer who had no choice but to play in Europe because nobody in the NHL would sign them? :laugh:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
"Lesser known player"

You mean washed up NHLer who had no choice but to play in Europe because nobody in the NHL would sign them? :laugh:

Yep. That describes some of them. I love a good comeback/underdog/redemption story. I'd love it if Wojtek Wolski or Brandon Kozun score the next Golden Goal.

Or if a Czech Republic team wins gold, that would be fun, too.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
It'll be fun watching the NHL contradict all the reasons they gave for not going to these winter Olympics when they allow players to attend the ones in China.

Hard to feel sorry for the IOC though. Such a corrupt organization. The players are the only ones that actually represent the Olympic spirit.
IOC are no worse than FIFA or the NHL, though. They're all as bad as each other.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England

100%.

Next.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

I know they can't compete under their own flag.
Just wondering have you ever watched Olympic hockey before NHLers were allowed to play. It was some pretty weak hockey.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
Yep. That describes some of them. I love a good comeback/underdog/redemption story. I'd love it if Wojtek Wolski or Brandon Kozun score the next Golden Goal.

Or if a Czech Republic team wins gold, that would be fun, too.

Rather see the best players in the world ... Imagine if every sports couldn't take their best athletes? Olympics wouldn't be Olympics so why is it OK for hockey to send 2-3rd tier players?

And by the way I'm in training for the summer's Olympics. I don't receive any money and have to look for my own sponsorship and yet I'm still proud to represent my country.

Athletes are paid if they win a medal. (or where you rank) If my employers were to ask for any money in order to let me go to the Olympics, I would tell them to go f*** themselves.

Why should the NHL be paid to send players? Tell every NHL players they won't be paid if they go (for the 3 weeks or so they'll be in South Korea) and I assure you they'll all accept it. The NHL is refusing per greed, they don't care about the league stoppage, or the fans they only care about the $$$.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad