Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
giphy.gif

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I care, I love watching the best players in the world on the biggest stage in the world. However I completely understand the NHL & owners position, and put the majority of the onus on the IOC. I'll still watch it regardless, as originally the olympics was not for professionals and has only become so in such recent years. I just hope the World Cup of Hockey grows because of this, it's a lot easier when the NHL can work these things out themselves without a third party who doesn't have the NHL's best interests in mind. I thoroughly enjoyed the 2016 WCH, and I think that tournament has potential to become much bigger than what it is. Look at how big the FIFA World Cup is, I'm not saying we'll get to that level any time soon but I think there will be a greater prestige about winning Gold at the WCH if NHL'ers are no longer participating in the olympics.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Nope, just a series of wanna be NHL games, without any NHL level significance, it interrupts the season and the games I actually care about.
Hopefully the NHL never goes back to any Olympics of course we all know they will

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I care, I love watching the best players in the world on the biggest stage in the world. However I completely understand the NHL & owners position, and put the majority of the onus on the IOC. I'll still watch it regardless, as originally the olympics was not for professionals and has only become so in such recent years. I just hope the World Cup of Hockey grows because of this, it's a lot easier when the NHL can work these things out themselves without a third party who doesn't have the NHL's best interests in mind. I thoroughly enjoyed the 2016 WCH, and I think that tournament has potential to become much bigger than what it is. Look at how big the FIFA World Cup is, I'm not saying we'll get to that level any time soon but I think there will be a greater prestige about winning Gold at the WCH if NHL'ers are no longer participating in the olympics.

The WCH is a joke. Having mixed bag multinational teams like team Europe and NA under 23yo defeats the purpose of having such tournaments. It's still better than having no tournaments with the best players in but with these kinda teams it makes it seem more like an all star show than a tournament to decide who is the best country in hockey. I think it was Friedman who suggested for the next tournament Canada should have two teams and there should be a mixed Scandinavian team or something, that shouldn't be the direction imo. Like, if team Canada B or team Scandinavia or team Europe wins it, who's there to celebrate? It's going to be great hockey but what's the point of winning it?

Reactions: JBeast

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Yeah, "good" thing Gary is not letting me watch what I actually would want to watch.

Who's stopping you from watching the Olympic games? If NHL is so boring, isn't it refreshing that you get to watch the Olympics without the NHL players? And you really ought to blame the IOC for that, not Gary or the NHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'll happily send you a few rubles so you can buy KHL season tickets for the next few years. Heck I'll even throw in some gruel.
Nice try. Your world has to be really money centric. So stereotype.

Oh, and the KHL is more exciting than the NHL currently. But what doaes that have to do with anything? Those are just some local leagues. I am talking about really entertaining hockey on a whole different level.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Who's stopping you from watching the Olympic games? If NHL is so boring, isn't it refreshing that you get to watch the Olympics without the NHL players? And you really ought to blame the IOC for that, not Gary or the NHL.
Olypic games are games where all athletes participate. An arrogant local league not allowing it's players to go should be ignored and banned.

And you are so destroyed by Gary's propaganda that you are really resinging his stupid songs about how the IOC is responsible for anything. The NHL should kindly adk for permission to participate in the biggest sports event. They have no claims to make.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m disappointed but I completely understand why the NHL made their decision. I did enjoy watching Olympic hockey.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yes, it’s great fun and USA could field an excellent team this year with a changing of the guard.

As far as who I side with organization wise, I don’t care one bit about this inter organizational drama, these idiots should be able to work it out for the sake of the game.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Glad the season isn't going to be shut down so NHL players can line the pockets of the corrupt IOC. Hopefully they never return.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I like the hockey but I hate the IOC.

I think the entire Olympic movement needs to be washed and scrubbed. No more gargantuan unaffordable venues: bread, not circuses. If they brought the whole thing back to reality, then I would care a lot.

Instead of the waste and corruption that goes with the one big event, I think they should spread each Olympic games to pre-existing facilities contemporaneously throughout the world. We could watch video of the downhill skiing from Austria; the cross-country from Norway; the hockey from Canada; and the figure skating from the US, for example (it doesn't have to be those sites, but it could be) just as well as we could watch them from Pyongchang.

You wouldn't need to build athletes' villages; cope with impossible logisitics, security and transportation; and more locals would have an opportunity to actually see the sports in their venues.

That would be much better than the corruption that feeds off the current system.

As long as the Olympics continue to be a cesspool of corruption and excess, I really could not care less.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Would’ve been nice to see what the forward group for USA could’ve done.

Eichel-Matthews-Kane
Boeser-Gaudreau-Kessel
Pacioretty-Johnson-Wheeler
Saad-Pavelski-Oshie

Probably the most skilled group of forwards the US has ever had.

But we get to watch Brian Gionta instead...

Last edited:
Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
yes - I like the NHL at the Olympics.

For years, everyone said they wanted to see the professionals play, well, recently we've had them, and it's been great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad