Speculation: Do you believe In Chuck?

Do you Believe Fletcher is doing a good job?

• Total voters

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Who else is having a lower ceiling?

I think at this point, he will not do something really dumb like go for it. But he is obviously trying to make a trade and wants to remake the team.
Myers doesn’t look like a top-4 d and I’m not so sure Sanheim is either especially is they’re playing as soft as they are.

Provorov is supposed to be a 1D which I’m not sure this franchise has ever drafted at any point.

Konecny is as a Pat Verbeek pest is not as advertised and not he’s goalless in 11 again. Quite frankly when the tough gets going the less you see from him unless it’s in the penalty box. Can’t talk a ton of shit then disappear.

and if discord in the dressing room has been sowed, you’ve got a leadership group who is less to blame but don’t have people willing to lineup behind them because they’ve never accomplished anything. This is where Niskanen came in, they couldn’t question that guy.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I never had any confidence in CF. His track record doesn't suggest one should be confident that he is anything other than a run of the mill average GM.

I believe he has a job because of his name, what has he done, anywhere? Hindsight being 20/20 , he rolled with generally Hextalls or previous GMs players,strung it out as long as he could , now he will make changes to buy as much time as he can...... Chuck in my opinion is the ultimate political entity, just vying for his own payday without any ability to produce a cup winner or even deep playoff contender.
Milquetoast mediocrity.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
LPT - if you mention "won number 1 seed" as if that was some great accomplishment and not the result of a gimmick 3 game tourny, then the majority of the board is going to write you off as an idiot.

Reactions: Vikke

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
FWIW, as we debate how un-Flyers everything is, Fletcher being hired was almost entirely the work of Paul Holmgren. Fletcher didn't really have much if any connection to the franchise prior. That's signed off from the guy who kind of carries the FLYERS HOCKEY lineage.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Myers doesn’t look like a top-4 d and I’m not so sure Sanheim is either especially is they’re playing as soft as they are.

Provorov is supposed to be a 1D which I’m not sure this franchise has ever drafted at any point.

Konecny is as a Pat Verbeek pest is not as advertised and not he’s goalless in 11 again. Quite frankly when the tough gets going the less you see from him unless it’s in the penalty box. Can’t talk a ton of shit then disappear.

and if discord in the dressing room has been sowed, you’ve got a leadership group who is less to blame but don’t have people willing to lineup behind them because they’ve never accomplished anything. This is where Niskanen came in, they couldn’t question that guy.

I disagree. Myers is still young and has raw talent to be too 4 guy. Sanhiem looks great a lot of times. He rarely make a bad play and I think when he does Myers is part to blame. Provy is a top pair guy but may be a #2 but still good and will still get better. When he has a chance to key in on a team like the playoffs he really comes through. TK has struggled but is still one of the best scoring wingers in the league and doesn’t even make that much for it.

Illini Flyer

Jan 30, 2019
Near St Louis
FWIW, as we debate how un-Flyers everything is, Fletcher being hired was almost entirely the work of Paul Holmgren. Fletcher didn't really have much if any connection to the franchise prior. That's signed off from the guy who kind of carries the FLYERS HOCKEY lineage.

He (Fletcher) trained under Bobby Clarke in Florida, so I would assume that was partially his in.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Holmgren has been on record as both GM and President that he confers with Clark regularly. I mean it's obvious all of them still have a good amount of influence and throw in Lombardi for good measure. The Sixers moved away from the FO committee that Brand was influenced under as a GM and which Brand said was actually counterproductive to establishing a unified vision/approach to the team's identity. They had all sorts of holdovers in the FO from previous GM's like Colangelo. They went out and got Morey and Doc and gave them the keys essentially..particularly Morey as the GM. So far so good....but still work to be done but the professionalism and direction is much clearer.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
One bad month that came after a Covid outbreak and people already jumping ship on Sanheim and TK who were fantastic just last season. :thumbd:

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Too early to say with a GM but he did a nice job last season. Less so this year. Next couple years will be huge though as they need some significant retooling and with the flat cap it is really hard to do. He normally puts together a solid D and that's going to be key here. We will see.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Gotta give Fletcher a chance. In his first full season the Flyers win their first playoff round in EIGHT YEARS.

In his second full season, Covid hits & causes a flat cap & short season, & there’s a looming expansion draft to boot. Not to mention the young core Hextall built have sucked.

If Fletcher would have traded Hextall’s cadre of underperforming young players before this season, the board would have had a conniption. And they STILL don’t want to trade any of them. Yet they want Fletcher fired. It’s utterly nonsensical. He hasn’t even had the chance for his draft picks to get in the lineup, & his picks from his mere two drafts look outstanding.

The man absolutely deserves more time (such as to correct what now appear to be Hextall’s mistakes) &, IMO, has done a fine job in his brief tenure. It would be ridiculously knee-jerk & short-sighted to fire him. I strongly believe that most of the people who want him fired had a vendetta against him from the start & were Hextall loyalists.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
He wasn't my first choice, but I think it's too early to fire him.

I don't like AV as the coach though

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Another impressive accomplishment for AV to add to his .500 playoff record and two stanely cup finals appearances even though he coached dominate teams with elite goalies for a decade.

Dominant.

Why is that weird typo so prevalent on HFB?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Gotta give Fletcher a chance. In his first full season the Flyers win their first playoff round in EIGHT YEARS.

In his second full season, Covid hits & causes a flat cap & short season, & there’s a looming expansion draft to boot. Not to mention the young core Hextall built have sucked.

If Fletcher would have traded Hextall’s cadre of underperforming young players before this season, the board would have had a conniption. And they STILL don’t want to trade any of them. Yet they want Fletcher fired. It’s utterly nonsensical. He hasn’t even had the chance for his draft picks to get in the lineup, & his picks from his mere two drafts look outstanding.

The man absolutely deserves more time (such as to correct what now appear to be Hextall’s mistakes) &, IMO, has done a fine job in his brief tenure. It would be ridiculously knee-jerk & short-sighted to fire him. I strongly believe that most of the people who want him fired had a vendetta against him from the start & were Hextall loyalists.

If this were Fletcher's first rodeo, I'd give him more time.

It isn't. He has a well established record. We know exactly what he is. We know that at this stage we are well out of the phase where he comes in and fixes problems, and into the stage where he creates them and has no answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad