Speculation: Do you believe In Chuck?

Do you Believe Fletcher is doing a good job?

• Total voters

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
17a17ae6b93faf667b39af6d8fe34d68.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He hasn't screwed up yet, which is actually praise b/c when he came in there was pressure to win now from Scott, and the only assets he traded were a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th, and got the 2nd back in the draft by resisting the pressure to draft Caufield. Hayes was the only big signing, and while not great, he was market value (i.e. one year and one million a year more than he was worth, that's free agency, but they didn't go after Duchene, thank God).

Now he has a real challenge, the team and organization has to be rebuilt from the ground up. Fletcher was right not to try to do this at first, but find out what he has, and he's found out.

Note that there seems to be a change in scouting, Fletcher definitely focused more on intangibles this draft, trading up for both Wisdom and Desnoyers. He brought in Niskanen and Braun to help the clubhouse at the NHL level. Even Gus, while not worth signing, turned out to be more willing to work on his game than I expected (he's too focused on not making mistakes but he's trying). Pitlick was more of a loss than I expected.

Fletcher has to fire Gordon and bring in a top young AHL HC and start the culture change there.
AV is tougher b/c that's Scott's decision (i.e. eat $15M).
Trades will be about re-balancing this team, there's a lot of young talent coming up, Fletcher's job will be to ensure the right talent that fits together both on the ice and in the clubhouse.

We'll be able to make a much better judgement by August, but we really won't know until May 2022.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
He hasn't screwed up yet, which is actually praise b/c when he came in there was pressure to win now from Scott, and the only assets he traded were a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th, and got the 2nd back in the draft by resisting the pressure to draft Caufield. Hayes was the only big signing, and while not great, he was market value (i.e. one year and one million a year more than he was worth, that's free agency, but they didn't go after Duchene, thank God).

Now he has a real challenge, the team and organization has to be rebuilt from the ground up. Fletcher was right not to try to do this at first, but find out what he has, and he's found out.

Note that there seems to be a change in scouting, Fletcher definitely focused more on intangibles this draft, trading up for both Wisdom and Desnoyers. He brought in Niskanen and Braun to help the clubhouse at the NHL level. Even Gus, while not worth signing, turned out to be more willing to work on his game than I expected (he's too focused on not making mistakes but he's trying). Pitlick was more of a loss than I expected.

Fletcher has to fire Gordon and bring in a top young AHL HC and start the culture change there.
AV is tougher b/c that's Scott's decision (i.e. eat $15M).
Trades will be about re-balancing this team, there's a lot of young talent coming up, Fletcher's job will be to ensure the right talent that fits together both on the ice and in the clubhouse.

We'll be able to make a much better judgement by August, but we really won't know until May 2022.
Yeah, this off-season is going to be his first real challenge with the Flyers. Until now it has been kind of a smooth ride for him. In his first off-season he made a couple necessary moves and adjustments and they pretty much all worked. His first full season went well until the playoffs.
Now he will have to do more than just adjustments. He has a few months now to identify who should be part of our future and who shouldn't.
I hope he doesn't even bother improving this team at the deadline because this season is a lost cause.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's the good thing about the Buffalo loss, that pretty much dashed their playoff hopes, they'd have to take 4 of 5 from the Isles and Bruins to have an outside chance.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's the good thing about the Buffalo loss, that pretty much dashed their playoff hopes, they'd have to take 4 of 5 from the Isles and Bruins to have an outside chance.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think we need more time. You can't judge a GM on two years, especially with the weirdness with COVID and everything the past two seasons. I know everyone is mad that he waived Ghost, but he obviously knew what he was doing, seeing as how the entire league passed on him for free.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Bizarre season that the team doesn't appear capable of overcoming. Finish it, and send Chuck and all the coaches packing.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I think we need more time. You can't judge a GM on two years, especially with the weirdness with COVID and everything the past two seasons. I know everyone is mad that he waived Ghost, but he obviously knew what he was doing, seeing as how the entire league passed on him for free.
Knowing he would clear waivers is a separate issue. The frustrating part (for me, and I am assuming several others) is what is says about how the front office/staff evaluates the play of this team. It isn't just waiving Ghost in a vacuum. It is making this move after essentially one of the worst months in recent memory for the franchise. Their response was to throw their goalie and a lightning rod defenseman under the bus in order to play Gus, Twarynski, and Bunnaman. Fletcher didn't just allow it, he made it happen.

Red flags everywhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad