Do we need a veteran coach?

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
2 step veteran coach acquisition process:

1. Keep Dave Cameron as head coach.

2. In a few years, Dave Cameron will be a veteran head coach.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I don't honestly know what coach best suits this team. Give them a heavy handed one and everyone tunes him out but give him a players coach and it becomes like a country club atmosphere. Tough to say

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Claude Julien is a veteran coach with a ring who could be available soon but I would absolutely be amazed if DC were to get replaced this season after firing PM last yr. These players seem to be turning into coach killers if there is a need to replace another coach so soon. And which players are responsible for this exactly who get their coaches fired? I would also think that most here would probably not want a defensive coach to coach this team & would prefer to let these horses run with an offensive minded coach.

I wonder how much responsibility can also be attributed to the captain of this team who is suppose to set the example & is playing so poorly defensively. He is being highlighted game after game for getting undressed or burned by some forward & analysts are bringing it up more & more during broadcasts that he makes a lot of defensive mistakes. The captain needs to be a lot better if this team is going anywhere.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I agree with aragorn and others that there is a country club atmosphere, but that starts at the top. When you have a GM that treats people like friends and family, sets expectations extremely low and caters to them by firing coaches like Liz Taylor went through husbands, then the players won't be afraid of slacking or taking liberties with the coaching staff.

There needs to be an experienced coach down the line but there most of all needs ot be an external hire at the GM position that doesn't coddle them, whom will hire a new coach that will hold everyone accountable. I hate giving credit to the Leafs but Babcock was a great hire for them. It's business, the business is winning, play our plan and sit. This is stuff that would be needed here, the players would buy in and the fans would buy in. And it doesn't count on the cap so...

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I agree with aragorn and others that there is a country club atmosphere, but that starts at the top. When you have a GM that treats people like friends and family, sets expectations extremely low and caters to them by firing coaches like Liz Taylor went through husbands, then the players won't be afraid of slacking or taking liberties with the coaching staff.

There needs to be an experienced coach down the line but there most of all needs ot be an external hire at the GM position that doesn't coddle them, whom will hire a new coach that will hold everyone accountable. I hate giving credit to the Leafs but Babcock was a great hire for them. It's business, the business is winning, play our plan and sit. This is stuff that would be needed here, the players would buy in and the fans would buy in. And it doesn't count on the cap so...

Yeah I hate to give the Leafs credit but that was a huge move by them. That and getting Lamoriello was another big move by them. Both proven winners in this league who are all business and will eventually make their team better

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We need to be injury free,for more than a game or so .The only injuries i could see being helpful would be Neil and Weircoch :laugh:

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
A team like the Leafs can not only afford to go out and get the best coach available at any cost because they have no budget really aside from the cap, and that deals with on ice talent only. A team like the Sens, with an internal budget for players that is much lower than the cap, would probably find it difficult to not only pay top dollar for the coaching talent that would be nice to have, but also would probably find it difficult to pay coaches not to coach (like whatever is remaining on MacLean's contract, even though he's now in Anaheim)... any money being owed to Cameron if he were to be let go might directly affect the money available for players...

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is a veteran coach inhearently better?

Should we get Carlysle? Mike Keenan? Guy Boucher?

It's painfully evident that the roster isn't more than a bubble team. So why are we looking to change the coach?

Fix the D, then see if a coaching change is neccesary. Until then, you're just spinning tires by continuing the coaching carousel.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This is why Murray has to go. He keeps hiring the wrong coach for the wrong type of team. This hire was all Melnyk but still seeing what Randy Carlyle did with a crappy Toronto roster makes you think Murry's ego is the problem. Doesn't want a veteran coach chirping in the bosses ear like he did under Muckler.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We need good players on defense, not a coach. A coach plays what he's given and right now whoever plays on defense is just not good enough.

Sure but a coach that plays all 7 of those inept defenseman 1 of which plays out of position to push an AHL call up into the top 9. Instead of a player that was actually contributing, the decision was made over a grudge against said plsyer. That coach shouldn't be the coach making the lineup decisions.

Was anyone actually suprised in the result? Wiercioch, Cowen, Chiasson, Boro, Dizzy and Neil all dressed in the same NHL game. What could possibly go wrong... :help:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is why Murray has to go. He keeps hiring the wrong coach for the wrong type of team. This hire was all Melnyk but still seeing what Randy Carlyle did with a crappy Toronto roster makes you think Murry's ego is the problem. Doesn't want a veteran coach chirping in the bosses ear like he did under Muckler.

Having an argument with your self I see.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I sure we won't be paying any more coaches not too coach for a while, besides DC has a good record since he has been coach.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Is a veteran coach inhearently better?

Should we get Carlysle? Mike Keenan? Guy Boucher?

It's painfully evident that the roster isn't more than a bubble team. So why are we looking to change the coach?

Fix the D, then see if a coaching change is neccesary. Until then, you're just spinning tires by continuing the coaching carousel.

While the D definitely needs at least one upgrade, the problem defensively isn't solely the D.

Cameron spoke to this yesterday when he said (paraphrasing), the forwards just don't seem to be interested in playing in the D-Zone.

Cameron said this after watching a rerun of the Montreal game, something I've been saying since the start of the season.

The comedy act that has become the Sens defensive zone play is on Cameron and his staff, IMO.

The Boro forward experiment and Prince sitting is on Cameron & staff.

It is incomprehensible that Prince, the player that made the 4th line somewhat useful, sits while Boro does nothing but occupy space on that line.

The Boro for Prince move and the move of Smith to the second line has made the Sens a 3 line team, with the 3rd line looking much like a 4th line with Dizzy and Chaisson on the wings (no criticism of these two).

IMO the mess is on Cameron & staff, specially since Murray said it is Cameron's decision who plays or if a call up is needed, he doesn't believe in interfering.

Last edited:

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
While the D definitely needs at least one upgrade, the problem defensively isn't solely the D.

Cameron spoke to this yesterday when he said (paraphrasing), the forwards just don't seem to be interested in playing in the D-Zone.

Cameron said this after watching a rerun of the Montreal game, something I've been saying this since the start of the season.

The comedy act that has become the Sens defensive zone play is on Cameron and his staff, IMO.

The Boro forward experiment and Prince sitting is on Cameron & staff.

It is incomprehensible that Prince, the player that made the 4th line somewhat useful, sits while Boro does nothing but occupy space on that line.

The Boro for Prince move and the move of Smith to the second line has made the Sens a 3 line team, with the 3rd line looking much like a 4th line with Dizzy and Chaisson on the wings (no criticism of these two).

IMO the mess is on Cameron & staff, specially since Murray said it is Cameron's decision who plays or if a call up is needed, he doesn't believe in interfering.

I would like to see the corsi differential of the Prince-Smith-Neil line vs the Boro-Lazar-Neil line.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
if his only hire was Cameron then you would be right.

I think I explained myself fine.

Truthfully I believe the owner had a lot to do with hiring Clouston, still remember Eugene praising CC saying he was exactly what the team needed.

Right Eugene and how did that work out for you?

Cameron likely fits in the same box, Eugene wanted Cameron instead of MacLean 4 years ago, so it was no surprise when MacLean's team struggled at .500 he was out and Cameron in.

So IMO that leaves Murray with two coaches hired and fired.

The Paddock hiring was understandable IMO.

He was Murray's assistant and given BM's new job demands he probably just made the easy choice.

It looked great when the team started at a record pace and Paddock was named the head coach of the Eastern Conference All Star team, since Ottawa had the best record in the east at that point.

Then the wheels fell off and the owner's expectations took over and his desire to have Bryan in both roles.

So Paddock goes and BM is back behind the bench.

Hartsburg was a disaster from the word GO! Shame, shame, Bryan!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad