Do we need a veteran coach?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Murray's history with head coaches is the most known fact on these boards. He keeps giving us guys who have never won at this level before and are replaced every 2 seasons.

Is it time for a veteran coach?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Murray's history with head coaches is the most known fact on these boards. He keeps giving us guys who have never won at this level before and are replaced every 2 seasons.

A new GM is my first choice. While I do not like some of Cameron's choices for lines and defence pairings, I think the faults of this team lie more with the GM and his talent management.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I voted yes but I dont think firing Cameron is needed at this time.

Ya, I kind of agree. I'd like to see a vet coach back there. We haven't had one since... Murray. But at this point I don't think another firing is the answer. It's the players, that much is obvious.

To be honest I was a little surprised Murray himself wasn't binned after Paddock, Hartsberg and Clouston didn't work out. I feel like most franchises would have fired their GM at this point.

Hartsberg was technically a veteran having coached around 450 NHL games before coming to Ottawa, but it had been 8 years between head coaching gigs. Maybe Murray goes after the inexperienced ones because they are cheap :sarcasm:

Murray has fired 4 coaches under his tenure :amazed:

By the way, need and deserve are two different things.

Last edited:

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
This team is full of primadonnas. They ran Hartsburg out because he was a hardass, they ran Clouston out because he was a hardass, they ran MacLean out because he became a hardass. Mentally this team is all ****ing wrong.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If i was Murray, i wouldn't have immediately given Cameron a contract extension after last season.

I would have let him see how he does this season and go from there.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Do we deserve a veteran coach (y/n) ?

Did not vote. Don't really like the question.

I think a been there done that coach with some nhl playoff success that would command respect for the success he's had and reduce the second guessing would be good.

Part of Cameron's resume.

2000-01 OHL Head 68 35 23 8 2 Lost in Third round
2001-02 OHL Head 68 40 19 8 1 Lost in Third round
2002-03 OHL Head 68 32 24 7 5 Lost in Third round
2003-04 OHL Head 68 38 21 7 2 Lost in round 3
2004-05 AHL Head 80 47 21 0 12 Lost in round 1
2005-06 AHL Head 80 35 37 0 8 Out of Playoffs
2006-07 AHL Head 80 23 48 0 9 Out of Playoffs
2007-08 OHL Head 68 31 32 0 5 Lost in round 1
2008-09 OHL Head 68 39 26 0 3 Lost in round 2
2009-10 OHL Head 68 42 20 0 6 Lost in round 3
2010-11 OHL Head 68 53 13 0 2 Lost in Finals
2011-12 NHL Assistant
2012-13 NHL Assistant
2013-14 NHL Assistant
2014-15 NHL Assistant
2014-15 NHL Head‡ 55 32 15 0 8 Lost in round 1
2015-16 NHL Head

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Murray has had as many different head coaches working for him as there were in the entire previous history of the modern Senators. During that time the roster has overgone a significant overhaul as well. Chris Neil and Chris Phillips (if he returns) are the only players left from the team that Murray inherited.

At this point, the change has to happen at the GM position. I'm not saying fire Murray, but I don't think he should have the right to make another coaching decision at this point.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think the main part of this is overall team culture.

We have an owner who loves the game and is kinda buddy-buddy with players.

We have a really great guy as GM, who also has a large soft spot for 'his guys.'

We have a country club dressing room where many guys are too comfortable. They know they will get playing time/stay with the club/unlimited chances, partly because of contracts, partly because of the budget, and partly because of the buddy-buddy relationships with management and ownership above them.

We have a coaching staff caught in the middle of all these 'internal politics' of the team who don't have the autonomy to coach exactly as they want (can Cameron even choose his assistant coaches?).

Problem is, the balance is all out of whack. We want to be a good organization to our players, to treat them with respect and make sure they're happy here. But, at the same time, this is a professional sports franchise....we need to push to win.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I think the main part of this is overall team culture.

We have an owner who loves the game and is kinda buddy-buddy with players.

We have a really great guy as GM, who also has a large soft spot for 'his guys.'

We have a country club dressing room where many guys are too comfortable. They know they will get playing time/stay with the club/unlimited chances, partly because of contracts, partly because of the budget, and partly because of the buddy-buddy relationships with management and ownership above them.

We have a coaching staff caught in the middle of all these 'internal politics' of the team who don't have the autonomy to coach exactly as they want (can Cameron even choose his assistant coaches?).

Problem is, the balance is all out of whack. We want to be a good organization to our players, to treat them with respect and make sure they're happy here. But, at the same time, this is a professional sports franchise....we need to push to win.

We can't do anything about the owner, so the next step down is the GM position. Eventually, we will have a new GM, be it at the end of this season or next. I really hope that the new GM will be an external hire, someone with experience in doing the job, and will be able to pick his own coach, who in turn will pick his own assistants.

It is curious that we gave Cameron an extension in which the term outlasts Murray's projected reign as GM, seeing that at the time of the extension it was clear this year would likely be his last.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We can't do anything about the owner, so the next step down is the GM position. Eventually, we will have a new GM, be it at the end of this season or next. I really hope that the new GM will be an external hire, someone with experience in doing the job, and will be able to pick his own coach, who in turn will pick his own assistants.

It is curious that we gave Cameron an extension in which the term outlasts Murray's projected reign as GM, seeing that at the time of the extension it was clear this year would likely be his last.

I really, really hope the new GM is an external hire, as well. The only management guys I'd want to hold onto (for life!) would be our amateur scouts. They are the ones really keeping this team afloat.

We need a fresh voice and fresh ideas in management.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
We need good players on defense, not a coach. A coach plays what he's given and right now whoever plays on defense is just not good enough.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
... less than a year before we fired the last coach.

The Senators haven't exactly been know for stability in this position in recent years. Neither Paddock or Hartsburg lasted a full year. Clouston's run was pretty short.

Wouldn't be terribly shocking if Cameron didn't survive the season.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

Thats what the Leafs thought and there what 2-10.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Seriously, some of you folks think this is a good idea? Have video games really affected our youth's ability for rational thought like the extremists promised?

Cameron has a record of 39-20-11 with the Sens, that's a .636 points winning percentage. There aren't many coaches in the world or even in NHL history with a record like this.

Good grief, let them work out the kinks instead of thinking every other coach and every other player in the league is better than what the Sens have. I guess growing up with Ottawa's hockey media who haven't evolved in 20 years may be as good an explanation as any.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad