Do we have untouchable players?

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
The problem from my solitary viewpoint is not necessarily the players. Yes changes on the roster needs to be done, but not to the extent of scorched earth. The problem lies at Pegula‘s feet and his selection of KA to pilot the ship. The most immediate need is to undo KA’s missteps. Samuelson, Thompson and Power deals to start. Maybe the Cozens and Dahlin deals to follow though the 11 million price tag makes that a bit more difficult.

But KA is not the one to fix these things. He would have to admit he was over his head and I doubt he even sees these as mistakes. No unless TP sees the light and hires a senior executive to put a gm and coach in place that can work together and change the focus from happy/want to be here to win or you are gone, any digital gnashing of teeth is pointless. You cannot build core with players that haven’t won anything. Change the tone from we are glad you want to be here to prove it and then see who rises. I suspect it may not be who most think. But that starts with a coach who a) knows what he is doing in the NHL and a gm willing to make riskier than using all his draft picks and be willing to occasionally lose a deal for the right asset.

The question is does Terry have the stomach to put his ego aside and admit he lacks the ability to assemble a winning hockey Team? I am very pessimistic that he does.

You win. If the Sabres can get a better return than what they have on the roster in a trade they should pull the trigger. These are the basic principles of any and every trade discussion.
They don’t need a better return, just a different one.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Everyone putting Levi up there but he can be expendable especially with some continued consistency and progress from UPL. He'll also no doubt be a net gain in return.

Maybe the bigger question is who is worth trading. You would be selling low on just about everybody between injuries and underperformance.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There can be incremental improvements from different trade scenarios, including any player on the team. It's all fairly pointless though until a coaching staff comes along that can get them to the finals. I think we can all agree that Granato et al can maybe learn and get them in the playoffs...maybe even win a series. SC finals??? Hell no. Everyone can be on the block, but a coaching staff matters more.

Reactions: jmelm

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Granato hasn’t figured out any of the following:

1. How to get them read to start games
2. How to make the power play better than a tire fire
3. How to beat teams clogging offensive zone entrances

These have been issues since literally opening night. He is not only no closer to solving any of them…and is clearly already out of answers.

no…I don’t believe he can get them anywhere other than where he’s gotten them. Nowhere

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
No, there aren’t any.

And for those that think Tuch is a Sabre for life, just remember the guy wants to win bad. Plus he married a girl from the Vancouver area since he became a Sabre. Just something to “tuck” away in the back of your brain.

Reactions: Tatanka

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Sabres have a ton of players who would turn out to be successful 2nd to 4th liners elsewhere if traded or waived. Unfortunately, they will never reach their potential in Buffalo.

We are the NHL's farm system so might as well benefit from that role somehow, some way.

Yeah. My attitude is in the toilet.

Reactions: oldgoalie

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
In a literal sense? No. But in a practical sense? Dahlin, Tuch, and Benson aren’t going anywhere. It’s also pretty hard to imagine some of the other young guys who are already contributing moving (eg Quinn).

Reactions: KiwiGriff

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Benson and Tuch. Dahlin as a fringe untouchable.

Hard to replace their attitudes. Each one is different but has his unique benefits.

Benson has the effort and work ethic your want all your forwards to have
Tuch has the locker room and ice positivity that rubs off on everyone. Seems to genuinely love being on the team.
Dahlin has the ability to get under the other team’s skin. If only he could reduce his penalties so it leans in our favour.

In a literal sense? No. But in a practical sense? Dahlin, Tuch, and Benson aren’t going anywhere. It’s also pretty hard to imagine some of the other young guys who are already contributing moving (eg Quinn).
Funny, hadn’t read this until I hit post.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I think just Dahlin, unless he asks out.

The trade value of everyone is basically in the toilet right now due to underperformance, so I don’t see a lot of moves being in our favor anyway at the moment.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Untouchable is Dahlin Thompson Peterka Quinn Power Levi Cozens. High performing young players and players recently given long term contracts are the evidence. If they struggle the rest of the season and into the next, they will not.

Savoie was their top pick so they will be much higher on him than his current value so he is likely untouchable.

Benson showed enough potential to be untouchable but he is a small prospect with massive value right now so I could see small chance of being moved.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Untouchable is Dahlin Thompson Peterka Quinn Power Levi Cozens. High performing young players and players recently given long term contracts are the evidence. If they struggle the rest of the season and into the next, they will not.

Savoie was their top pick so they will be much higher on him than his current value so he is likely untouchable.

Benson showed enough potential to be untouchable but he is a small prospect with massive value right now so I could see small chance of being moved.

Benson is listed by the team as the same size as Savoie.

https://media.d3.nhle.com/image/private/t_document/prd/i2pbi5s37suieloru78g.pdf

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So if oilers offer us either McDavid or Drasitl we pull players off the table or leafs offer Matthews?

Given enough hypotheticals, all lists fail. Speaking hypothetically though, what are the chances of any of those players being offered to anyone at this point?

Reactions: Zman5778

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That really has nothing to do with my post though. He has more value than Savoie currently and can be moved for a high end player that goes to the net and has size.

Sabre fans are so weird. Someone who contests pucks, plays bigger than their size, is endlessly engaged and just 18 with years to stack muscle to his frame to get more speed and add to his tenacity... nah, trade him.

Someone who is fully built but can't find his own zone despite being the size of a Paleolithic era sloth though, that guy is untouchable.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Sabre fans are so weird. Someone who contests pucks, plays bigger than their size, is endlessly engaged and just 18 with years to stack muscle to his frame to get more speed and add to his tenacity... nah, trade him.

Someone who is fully built but can't find his own zone despite being the size of a Paleolithic era sloth though, that guy is untouchable.
You don't rack up 13 years of playoffless hockey without fans accumulating a good deal of loser-think in the process.

• Haha
Reactions: BuffaloMango

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

Who is that?

I never once said trade him. I even said he showed potential of being untouchable. No prospect has more value than Benson on the Sabres currently. He can get you a lot. This conversation is really just about how much the win now mode kicks in from KA. I don't specifically agree with trading Benson.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Yeah, I'd trade Power before Benson as well.
I legitimately forgot he was on the team. He hasn't played since 1/20. :laugh:
To be fair, how many Sabres have actually "played" since 1/20? It's more than the ones who have sat out like VO.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Who is that?

Your namesake. Tage is a shitty defensive player.

I never once said trade him. I even said he showed potential of being untouchable. No prospect has more value than Benson on the Sabres currently. He can get you a lot. This conversation is really just about how much the win now mode kicks in from KA. I don't specifically agree with trading Benson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad