Do the players like Mclellan

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The thing is you do have to take the larger context into consideration. Would this thread exist if the Oilers were shellacked 8-3 but had a record of 12-6-1? Probably not.

Everything doesn't occur in a vacuum.

Hey you are 100% correct but the context of the thread and question remains, do the players "like the coach"?

I consider that an absolutely asinine question and his followup which I responded to insinuates that the team got bombed in part because the team doesn't like the coach.

So a fair response for an unfair question regardless.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Gee I dont know, Vegas just got bombed 8-2 and Gallant is just fine. Pittsburgh has been bombed 3 times this year and Sullivan is still around last time I checked.

Man you need to chill the hell out.
Well Pittsburgh JUST won a cup and even after their bombs they are 11-8-3
Vegas got bombed like us and they are 12-6-1

We just got bombed after a 4-1 loss and a 6-3 loss and are 7-12-2

They are completely different scenarios, dont be daft.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The thing is you do have to take the larger context into consideration. Would this thread exist if the Oilers were shellacked 8-3 but had a record of 12-6-1? Probably not.

Everything doesn't occur in a vacuum.
I don't know. We win games in this city and stupid threads pop up

Reactions: Shathar

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Well Pittsburgh JUST won a cup and even after their bombs they are 11-8-3
Vegas got bombed like us and they are 12-6-1

We just got bombed after a 4-1 loss and a 6-3 loss and are 7-12-2

They are completely different scenarios, dont be daft.

Not being daft. Read this response. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/138184633/

Merely answering a direct question in the context of the thread title.

If you want a different answer then expand the context of the question. Pretty simple.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Players have been trying to get Mclellan fired since I posted this Oct 17th.
Why is he still coaching?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Players have been trying to get Mclellan fired since I posted this Oct 17th.
Why is he still coaching?

Because he's a valuable "fall guy" for Chiarelli to point to in the summer in case Katz gets any ideas.

Reactions: Jamin

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Because he's a valuable "fall guy" for Chiarelli to point to in the summer in case Katz gets any ideas.

I think that's exactly it.
Chiarelli willing to burn a season to protect his own ass. Shame on him.
Clean sweep the whole management team, scouting etc.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I really don't think McDavid likes him he has had many coaches and is smart and questions Tmacs choices the look on his face last playoffs at home when Getzlaf set up overtime winner and McDavid on bench and never sniffed Ice Because Tmac thought Getzlaf was dominating us all night his line deserved to go 1st . McDavid had that puzzled look.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
53-18-11
51-20-11
48-25-9
43-29-10
25-16-7
51-22-9
40-33-9
31-43-8
47-26-9
24-30-4

Todd’s record as a head coach is 413-262-87 in 762 games but yes let’s fire him because some fans dont think the players like him. I am genuinely afraid for the future of society if this is the mentality we’re going forward with. Who gives a flying f*** if he is liked or not.

:help::huh::shakehead:squint::wally:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I really don't think McDavid likes him he has had many coaches and is smart and questions Tmacs choices the look on his face last playoffs at home when Getzlaf set up overtime winner and McDavid on bench and never sniffed Ice Because Tmac thought Getzlaf was dominating us all night his line deserved to go 1st . McDavid had that puzzled look.

I think theres too many games where TM doesnt start McDavid at the beginning of the game or the beginning of the periods. For a team that starts so poorly, you would think you would want your best player setting the tone. I think TM thinks if he starts his third line > second line > first line, he makes it harder for the other coach to match lines. Why doesnt he actually just make in-game adjustments?

I am sure that TM isnt a terrible coach. But this year him and his assistants really have shown to be poor decision makers and in game adjusters.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
53-18-11
51-20-11
48-25-9
43-29-10
25-16-7
51-22-9
40-33-9
31-43-8
47-26-9
24-30-4

Todd’s record as a head coach is 413-262-87 in 762 games but yes let’s fire him because some fans dont think the players like him. I am genuinely afraid for the future of society if this is the mentality we’re going forward with. Who gives a flying **** if he is liked or not.

A monkey could of coached those Stacked Sharks teams are you kidding me Thornton Marleau Pavelski Couture Burns lol how did he do in the playoffs with all that power ? 2 losing seasons out of 3 with Oilers extend him fast . Only a brilliant coach would ice a career 4th line center as a extra man for a year and a half steady with 0 results and as soon as he stops team scores 3 last minute goals since. Only a brilliant coach calls a very rare timeout when the opposition team is gassed in the last minute and called for a icing to do them a favor when he rarely calls one for his own team. Only a brilliant coach ices one of the slowest players in the league 3/3 in ot with all that open Ice or has his Pet out there for one as well and both times have it blow up in your face.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
A monkey could of coached those Stacked Sharks teams are you kidding me Thornton Marleau Pavelski Couture Burns lol how did he do in the playoffs with all that power ? 2 losing seasons out of 3 with Oilers extend him fast . Only a brilliant coach would ice a career 4th line center as a extra man for a year and a half steady with 0 results and as soon as he stops team scores 3 last minute goals since. Only a brilliant coach calls a very rare timeout when the opposition team is gassed in the last minute and called for a icing to do them a favor when he rarely calls one for his own team. Only a brilliant coach ices one of the slowest players in the league 3/3 in ot with all that open Ice or has his Pet out there for one as well and both times have it blow up in your face.
Well said. He isn’t a good coach

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
53-18-11
51-20-11
48-25-9
43-29-10
25-16-7
51-22-9
40-33-9
31-43-8
47-26-9
24-30-4

Todd’s record as a head coach is 413-262-87 in 762 games but yes let’s fire him because some fans dont think the players like him. I am genuinely afraid for the future of society if this is the mentality we’re going forward with. Who gives a flying **** if he is liked or not.

I think it's more that he's a highly overrated coach without a strategic bone in his body. Nobody cares about regular season records when the goal in this league is to win in the playoffs. TMacT is likely one of the very worst in history at that when the talent level of his teams is factored in.

Last edited:
Reactions: VainGretzky

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't agree with this whole players don't play for McLellan thing. Recently the players seem to be extremely low on confidence (makes sense) which could look like being low on effort. But we've seen this TMac team for 3 years now. And the players definitely play for him on a consistent basis. That problem is, the players just aren't very good. No matter how much Matt Benning, or Auvitu want to play their best, their best just isn't good enough. These players will still have muffin shots, still be too slow, still be too small. And for some players, their best efforts are just too slow for the game (Lucic). Or their best efforts won't solve our need for offence from the D-line (all of our D-men). I mean McDavid and Draisaitl with their skill and obvious talents are getting the job done, this should point to a team where the effort is there and the results will follow if you got the talent to back it up.

This is a personnel problem we have in Edmonton. Our players aren't good enough. Blame that on drafting and development or Chia's acquisition abilities I say. I'm not ready to blame this all on TMac given the roster he has.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think he's probably an average to above average coach that got handed a very good team in San Jose and now Connor McDavid in Edmonton.

The fact is Peter DeBoer took the Sharks further in one year than McLellan did in like seven or whatever, which included several embarrassing playoff choke jobs.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
I don't agree with this whole players don't play for McLellan thing. Recently the players seem to be extremely low on confidence (makes sense) which could look like being low on effort. But we've seen this TMac team for 3 years now. And the players definitely play for him on a consistent basis. That problem is, the players just aren't very good. No matter how much Matt Benning, or Auvitu want to play their best, their best just isn't good enough. These players will still have muffin shots, still be too slow, still be too small. And for some players, their best efforts are just too slow for the game (Lucic). Or their best efforts won't solve our need for offence from the D-line (all of our D-men). I mean McDavid and Draisaitl with their skill and obvious talents are getting the job done, this should point to a team where the effort is there and the results will follow if you got the talent to back it up.

This is a personnel problem we have in Edmonton. Our players aren't good enough. Blame that on drafting and development or Chia's acquisition abilities I say. I'm not ready to blame this all on TMac given the roster he has.

This is spot on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad