Do the Leafs trade Marner this summer if they're out in Round 1?

Do the Leafs trade Marner this summer if they're out in Round 1?

• Yes

Votes: 96 33.2%
  • No

Votes: 88 30.4%
  • It doesn't matter. It won't make any difference

Votes: 105 36.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I do not understand Marner in the playoffs

To me it is night and day difference
The urgency is NO WHERE to be seen

He is floating on the PP and he stood there on numerous times just stick handling. Boston was like we’re good with that, keep wasting time.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The hottest of hot takes.
Is it really a hot take to not want to pay a winger $12M+? I'd argue that you'd have a very hard time constructing a well balanced roster year after year paying any winger that much.

Hell, his current contract makes it difficult to build around him, even though it's fair value. The salary cap makes things tough.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
There is no way that the Leafs will get even close to fair value for Marner in a deal. Really the value is the ability to restructure into a less top heavy model.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Is it really a hot take to not want to pay a winger $12M+? I'd argue that you'd have a very hard time constructing a well balanced roster year after year paying any winger that much.

Hell, his current contract makes it difficult to build around him, even though it's fair value. The salary cap makes things tough.

The timing is the poll is fishy.

It’s not like his salary has changed between the regular season and now.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The timing is the poll is fishy.

It’s not like his salary has changed between the regular season and now.
The timing makes sense to me -- this is going to be a daily topic in Toronto if they have a first round exit. That said, I think they'll beat Boston.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Trading Mitch would be tough. He has a NMC so he tells you exactly where he wants to go, if that is even anywhere.

And then if he gives you a destination, you’re at that team’s mercy. Leafs likely aren’t looking for draft picks, but a top tier defenseman, and who is giving those away?

It’s more likely he walks in free agency than gets traded. But the real most likely scenario is the Leafs way overpay him in the offseason.

Reactions: viper0220

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
They should definitely explore the market, but it might be tough. Marner controls his destination with the NMC. Marner is in a pretty ideal situation for him (1 year remaining and can pick any suitor he pleases as a UFA, if it doesn't work out in TO).

Hard to really visualize his landing spot too, who has a surplus of high value D to trade back to Toronto? And a location that Marner would waive to?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
New management without the same attachment to this core, so that should increase the chance.

Then you remember that Treliving refused to make changes in Calgary for so many years when he had a stale mix.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Well he has a full NMC so

Unless they are ballsy enough to sit him until he waves

I think this hurts the Leafs more, he sucks in the playoffs but he is good in the regular season. And there is a chance that he just collects his paycheck while he sits at home.

One of the problems with him, is that his father is wayyyyy to involved in his career.

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
I get the feeling that someday there will be a 3 or 400 level sports psychology class taught about this team.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved to Chicago. They are desperate to get quality players to play with Bedard, and honestly, they need to exit their rebuild now that they have two top-end players (this year's 1st + Bedard).

Chicago went into full fire-sale mode, much like Buffalo, so it's important that they don't spin their wheels and end up like the Oilers before McDavid or Buffalo. The hard part would be to convince Marner to come to Chicago.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
They wont have the stones to do it , think of all the little kids who ask their parents to buy them a marner jersey. $$$$$$.

And anyways he has a NMC , he will dictate his own future

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He played 2 playoffs so far with a destroyed wrist, context matters.

I name 4 guys who have all sucked, and you're defending 2 single runs for one of them. I don't have to know you're a Leafs fan to know that's a BS excuse. Lol

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I name 4 guys who have all sucked, and you're defending 2 single runs for one of them. I don't have to know you're a Leafs fan to know that's a BS excuse. Lol
You're trying too hard if you're suggesting a guy needing wrist surgery won't struggle to shoot the puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad