Do the Leafs trade a goalie at the deadline?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This option needs to be added:

"Which ever goaltender will give us the best value."

I'm not overly attached with either at this point. Both have had ups and downs in their time here.

What we need is value from out of them and I would say the trade deadline is where we need to grab that value. If they don't trade Reimer at the deadline, then you re-sign him and trade Bernier at some point this off-season. Either way, you have to trade one of them in the next 6 months, preferably within the next 6 weeks.

We cannot go into next season with both again. We have Sparks coming up who looked like he belonged before he got injured. There's also cap reasons here.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Don't know what the locker room situation is like, but I wouldn't be adverse to moving Bernier for a 2nd, a 3rd...Heck, a 5th in the hands of our management yielded Timashov.

I like Reimer. We don't need elite goaltending yet. Sparks seems a "beauty" and the two have the kind of character (if not necessarily ability) that I think could go a long way to improving the culture of the club.

After Lupul, Clarkson and Bernier took that blue steel pic atop a Toronto building, lol...I just lost any shred of respect for the guy. Subsequent behaviour smacks of a kind of self-entitlement I can't see being suffered by this management team.

Bernier, the tribe has spoken.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Reims has a .927 even strength save percentage for his career. Bernier has a .922 save percentage for his career.

Reimer has had 4 seasons of atleast 30+ games started in his career. Bernier has only 2 seasons of 30+ games started.

Reimer has shown he is trending upwards in terms of potential/play/progression when holding the starters role as a Lead. Bernier has shown he has regressed/played poorer/not living up to the hypee as he's been in the starters role.

Toronto hasn't had a goaltender since Ed Belfour and the fanbase "screams we need one".

Please tell me why it would make sense to trade Reimer over Bernier? All I hear from people is because he's a UFA, injury prone, not consistent, etc. I just showed with a little bit of stats that Reimer has more career starts, a better save percentage, and progressed better in his career and continues to while one doesn't. Only in Leafland I tell ya..

Bernier was stuck behind a top end goalie in Quick in LA. Reimer was competing for starts against guys who aren't even in the NHL anymore (aside from when Bernier was beating him for starts).

Reimer has also had a number of durability issues not only this season.

In the last two seasons Bernier started more games and had a higher save %.

Personally, I don't think either goalie is a real building block.

However, Bernier we're stuck with through next year already.

Reimer we aren't stuck with. If Reimer were to take a 1 or 2 year deal I'd have him back but he probably is looking for a 3 or 4 year deal at Halak/Niemi 4.5 type money and I'd just as soon move on from him then commit to a bad contract.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad