Do the Leafs trade a goalie at the deadline?

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Is this the canucks GM?

I know you are joking, but there's some truth there. Those kind of mistakes can haunt you for decades.

In the end, I am really starting to have my opinion turned on Reimer. Think we need another 20 games of him being the starter and I might even be sold on him being our future until we get something better.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I don't want to pay Reimer big dollars so get rid of him for whatever.

We're stuck with Bernier and he helps the tank.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I would trade Bernier for practically nothing if someone is willing to take him off our hands.

I wouldn't trade Reimer until we get a better goalie or at least a top tier goalie prospect. We're so weak in goal and Reimer is young and playing amazing... why trade away was is potentially the most difficult piece to replace?

If we trade Reimer... then we can just get in line with all the other teams who want a legit goalie. He's basically one of the best goalies in the NHL right now according to the stats. Now, if someone is offering a top 5 pick or something equivalent... ok, we can talk. But no way am I trading Reimer for the #20 pick or something like that.

Reimer can win us games. He wins games even when the team in front of him sucks and is letting up 40 shots. I would hate to see us trade him, watch him become elite, and then spend the next 5 years looking for that "elite" goalie that we never find.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Would someone take Bernier off our hands? That removes 4M we can give to Reimer if he can prove himself the rest of this season. I'm OK with giving him a 2-3 year deal at around 4m per.

However if someone knocks your socks off with an offer, you consider it.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
I would trade Bernier for practically nothing if someone is willing to take him off our hands.

I wouldn't trade Reimer until we get a better goalie or at least a top tier goalie prospect. We're so weak in goal and Reimer is young and playing amazing... why trade away was is potentially the most difficult piece to replace?

If we trade Reimer... then we can just get in line with all the other teams who want a legit goalie. He's basically one of the best goalies in the NHL right now according to the stats. Now, if someone is offering a top 5 pick or something equivalent... ok, we can talk. But no way am I trading Reimer for the #20 pick or something like that.

Reimer can win us games. He wins games even when the team in front of him sucks and is letting up 40 shots. I would hate to see us trade him, watch him become elite, and then spend the next 5 years looking for that "elite" goalie that we never find.

Corey ****ing Schneider, who is way better than Reimer, got the 9th overall pick. And you want the fifth pick for Reimer?!!! That's borderline delusional dude. If someone offers us the 20th pick I take it and run.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Corey ****ing Schneider, who is way better than Reimer, got the 9th overall pick. And you want the fifth pick for Reimer?!!! That's borderline delusional dude. If someone offers us the 20th pick I take it and run.

I think you know me as a huge Reimer supporter but I agree. A 20th overall for Reimer in this draft? You take that in a heartbeat.

(You can also sign the guy back in the offseason if you want)

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
I think you know me as a huge Reimer supporter but I agree. A 20th overall for Reimer in this draft? You take that in a heartbeat.

(You can also sign the guy back in the offseason if you want)

I'm paraphrasing here, but I think he said if a team offered a Top 5 pick or equivalent, he'd consider it. If someone offered me a Top 5 pick for Reimer I'd laugh so hysterically they'd have to cart me off to a mental institution :laugh:

By the way, its a perfectly fine opinion for you to have PuckMagi, I'm just letting you know that if someone offers a pick in the 15-20 range for Reimer, Lou and co. will 100% trade him.

And yeah can you imagine if we got 20th overall and he resigned with us in July? Would be such a steal.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I wouldn't mind trading him if he re-signs with us.

And I suppose we could trade him if we know he doesn't want to play here next year.

I would try to lock him up now and tell him that he'll be the number one guy going forward.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I think they'd prefer to get rid of Bernier but won't be able to, and ultimately Reimer will be sent off and we'll get a 3rd back.

I honestly believe if Reimer keeps up his play, he really should bring back a 2nd. I read somewhere that Babcock isn't the biggest Bernier fan. For me, I would sign Reimer for a few years and trade Bernier. However if Reimer is on the market, he carries value. Maybe Nashville or Carolina will come knocking.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Simple facts.

Leafs must trade any UFA-to-be for assets. If they want to bring them back, they can talk to them July 1st.

We are in no position to question this idea.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Simple facts.

Leafs must trade any UFA-to-be for assets. If they want to bring them back, they can talk to them July 1st.

Simple fact. Many teams in the NHL do not follow this principle, do they not know what they are doing? Another simple fact, UFA's that leave their respective teams for "nothing", create cap space and a contract spot.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
This thread is hilarious. Trade Reimer because he has more value? If you trade one it's Bernier as clearly Babcock's guy is Reimer.

I find it very difficult to believe that fans really think this is going to be a tare it down rebuild. Pieces like PAP, Grabner, Spaling, Polak etc will be moved out but Babcock is going to keep guys around he likes.

If Reimer won't sign and says he is going to test the market then he forced your hand. But you don't trade him because he is playing better and has more value.

It's highly unlikely that Babs core guys he likes will be moved for middling picks we we have an abundance of them. You can have as many prospects as you'd like but we only have 50 contract spots and 23 NHL spots.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
Simple fact. Many teams in the NHL do not follow this principle, do they not know what they are doing? Another simple fact, UFA's that leave their respective teams for "nothing", create cap space and a contract spot.

Not every team is in the same position to afford not getting assets for these guys. Why would you want to have no assets over a 3rd or 4th round pick when the games are meaningless.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Reimer is a UFA and as such when your in the position were in he needs to be signed or traded by the deadline period, if you can't agree on a new deal then he should be gone to the highest bidder. once you pass the deadline Reimer holds all the Leverage in contract talks, and if you can't agree on a deal before the deadline it's doubtful you can agree on one after the deadline unless Leafs management caves to Reimer's demands.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Not every team is in the same position to afford not getting assets for these guys. Why would you want to have no assets over a 3rd or 4th round pick when the games are meaningless.

The point is, when UFA's leave teams the teams do gain assets in return. Cap space and contract space. If there is an opportunity to trade for a pick/or prospect prior to UFA then by all means. However, teams do gain assets when players leave for UFA, the teams don't lose players for nothing.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
the way the guys are talking on the radio it sounds like the leafs could offer reimer a similar deal as talbot. 3 years x $4 millionish.

given reimers performance this season it certainly suggests that he at least could potentially be a #1 goalie in the nhl.

bernier only has one season left after this one so its not the biggest deal to have bernier and reimer for one more season. bernier can play out his deal and then just leave.

personally, im conflicted on the subject. i dont feel confident in bernier but i also dont feel especially confident in reimer. i think given that we dont have any other better options and the fact that bernier who is already making $4+ million could possibly want even more, the leafs might be better off trying to keep reimer at $4 then bernier at even more potentially.

3 years of reimer should give lou the opportunity to either find a better goalie or to see if reimer is the real deal.

either way neither bernier or reimer are not going to return anything wonderful in a trade.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
I don't want to pay Reimer big dollars so get rid of him for whatever.

We're stuck with Bernier and he helps the tank.

We know that management and Babcock are not following the Oilers' model though. If Bernier is a "good" losing option, logic dictates he will be jettisoned, despite the tanking fantasy, which is, of course only that, a fantasy.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
I'm paraphrasing here, but I think he said if a team offered a Top 5 pick or equivalent, he'd consider it. If someone offered me a Top 5 pick for Reimer I'd laugh so hysterically they'd have to cart me off to a mental institution :laugh:

By the way, its a perfectly fine opinion for you to have PuckMagi, I'm just letting you know that if someone offers a pick in the 15-20 range for Reimer, Lou and co. will 100% trade him.

And yeah can you imagine if we got 20th overall and he resigned with us in July? Would be such a steal.

There's just no way any team offers that for a rental, realistically, which I'm sure you guys discussing it realize, but just reiterating.

I'm not sure it's worth trading Reimer when you consider that the Leafs will need to replace him, likely via trade, and likely using equivalent or greater assets as the ones gained from trading Reimer. A replacement would be under contract and likely then cost more than a rental goalie. Let us also consider that this goalie would likely be inferior to Reimer, given that I don't see any teams trading established starters, especially those who were, say, top 5 in save percentage this year (with the exception of the Leafs, in this scenario).

So will we ultimately gain by trading Reimer? It's really not a certainty. I'm not convinced it even make sense, ultimately. Of course, as people mentioned, if we trade Reimer, get an asset, then re-sign him in the summer, it's a potential steal, but is that realistic, or simply a fantasy? We would have to overpay on his contract at least somewhat and hope that the team owning his rights chooses not to re-sign him, which is not a given at all considering how he's playing this year and considering that any team that acquires him has a clear hole at the goaltending position to begin with (and thus might be out of the playoff picture) and might see him as a long-term solution rather than a rental for the playoffs (think Carolina, for example).

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
I honestly believe if Reimer keeps up his play, he really should bring back a 2nd. I read somewhere that Babcock isn't the biggest Bernier fan. For me, I would sign Reimer for a few years and trade Bernier. However if Reimer is on the market, he carries value. Maybe Nashville or Carolina will come knocking.

I don't know Mike Babcock personally, so this is just as speculative as anything. But I genuinely don't believe he has 'a guy'. I don't think he gives a **** about either player (obviously he cares about them as people, but as a coach, they're just players) but just rides the hotter hand. Look at his time in Detroit, he pulled Hasek in favour of Osgood, his backup, in the middle of the playoffs and never looked back. I wouldn't say Osgood was his guy, would you? I find this whole notion of Babcock playing favourite completely contradictory to his results based style. He's not a tween choosing between Team Edward and Team Jacob, he's a results oriented professional. If Sparks comes up and gets 3 shutouts in a row you can bet your ass Reimer will be glued to the bench till Sparks falters.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Simple facts.

A rule with no exception is in fact an exception with no rule. That is to say, dealing in absolutes and affirming that all UFAs must be traded is not automatically the right course of action.

Similarly, retaining all players that are under contract next season for the simple reason that they are under contract is not viable when they have become superfluous or no longer serve their intended purpose. In other words, Bernier (and other players in the same situation) is not secure just because he has a year remaining on his contract.

The goaltending situation has not turned out the way management and Babcock drew it up on paper at the start of the year, but that doesn't mean they don't adapt. They need to get back to the drawing board and come up with a finalized plan B before the imminent trade deadline.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
There's just no way any team offers that for a rental, realistically, which I'm sure you guys discussing it realize, but just reiterating.

I'm not sure it's worth trading Reimer when you consider that the Leafs will need to replace him, likely via trade, and likely using equivalent or greater assets as the ones gained from trading Reimer. A replacement would be under contract and likely then cost more than a rental goalie. Let us also consider that this goalie would likely be inferior to Reimer, given that I don't see any teams trading established starters, especially those who were, say, top 5 in save percentage this year (with the exception of the Leafs, in this scenario).

So will we ultimately gain by trading Reimer? It's really not a certainty. I'm not convinced it even make sense, ultimately. Of course, as people mentioned, if we trade Reimer, get an asset, then re-sign him in the summer, it's a potential steal, but is that realistic, or simply a fantasy? We would have to overpay on his contract at least somewhat and hope that the team owning his rights chooses not to re-sign him, which is not a given at all considering how he's playing this year and considering that any team that acquires him has a clear hole at the goaltending position to begin with (and thus might be out of the playoff picture) and might see him as a long-term solution rather than a rental for the playoffs (think Carolina, for example).

Yeah I personally wouldn't trade him unless we get an offer we can't refuse. A 3rd rounder is very unlikely to have the same value as Reimer in the future. And yeah, the trade then resign thing seems like fantasy to me, if we trade him to a contender why would he want to come back here?

As an aside though, trades are never a certainty.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Reims is playing better than everyone except one goalie. You trade him, GOOD LUCK finding a Carey Price lol. Leafs will be in the basement for a decade lol

1AM

Jan 15, 2016
Atlantic Canada
You need Great Goalies to win Championships

Reimer is that!!!

Build around him and be done with it.....

I compare Bernier to Clarkson, a cancer to the team

Go Leafs Go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad