Do the Leafs trade a goalie at the deadline?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The question that's been in my head over and over for the past week. Do the Leafs trade a goalie at the deadline?

I'd imagine Reimer gets more of a return than Bernier. Especially when his value is at an all time high. Should we trade him now when his injury concerns haven't affected his value yet? Are we comfortable in going with just Bernier? I doubt Babcock is. I think he'd have all his hair pulled out by the end of the season. Is Sparks ready for an NHL backup role?

Do we keep both?

Do we keep neither and go with Sparks and Bibeau? (unlikely)

What do you think?

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I am undecided on trading Reimer. Bernier won't have any market value.

You also have to factor in...
1) Depends on how well Reimer plays up to the deadline
2) Depends on if any serious injuries occur to a #1 goalie on a playoff contender

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think they'd prefer to get rid of Bernier but won't be able to, and ultimately Reimer will be sent off and we'll get a 3rd back.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Bernier is not tradeable this year so keep him and and give him another year or try to trade him next year if not traded then as is his contract will expire

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Trading Reimer while he's proving he can be a great goalie for this team would be a huge mistake, as would trading Bernier while he has such low value. The best goalie we could realistically hope for in the near future would be a healthy Reimer keeping this play up

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Trade Reimer because UFA. If he wants to come back next year then he'll pull a Winnik

Honestly though I'd prefer Reimer during the rebuild so I think you try to resign him before the TDL first.

You make the decision on Bernier after you know what's going on with Reimer. If you sign Reimer whether before the TDL or on July 1st, then trade Bernier. I don't see both staying here together past this year.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
You keep Reimer, give him the #1, let him know he's this team's #1, and then you go about trying to resign him.

You try and trade Bernier, fail to do so because nobody wants him right now, and then hold him as an RFA at the end of the season to see if you can flip him somewhere.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think they will resign Reimer for 1 year and then tell them, the best goalie next season gets an extension.

Reimer is getting a multi-year deal this off-season.

The only thing left to determine is whether or not it's in Toronto.

And that's all in Reimer's hands.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Trade Reimer now, run with Bernier for the rest of the year. Trade Bernier at the draft, sign Reimer on July 1st. Go with Reimer/Sparks next year. Draft some young goalies.

Having our cake and eating it too.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I think one of them gets traded, but I don't know or care which one.

I honestly like both our goalies, but they clearly don't excel in the situation they are in. Bernier is the more talented guy, and he should have become a capable starter by now. Reimer is a great guy, and always exceeds expectations. But together they are less than the sum of their parts, and are a terrible tandem.

I say move whomever you get offers for, and ride the other guy. I really do think each of them would play better with the other gone.

And start next season with an open roster spot for a goalie. Guys like Markstrom, Ortio, and Khudobin end up hitting waivers every year. Let's get some fresh faces in the net and see what happens.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Trading Reimer while he's proving he can be a great goalie for this team would be a huge mistake, as would trading Bernier while he has such low value. The best goalie we could realistically hope for in the near future would be a healthy Reimer keeping this play up

I put down trade Reimer but I think I want to change my answer. I remembered all those previous years of disappointing goaltending (Toskala, Gustavsson, Giguere, Raycroft, Bernier). Now we have Reimer who's looking pretty good...I dunno if we should just give that up. It's not like we have anything promising down the pipeline either.

KILLERLEAFFAN101

Jan 19, 2008
Toronto
Reims has a .927 even strength save percentage for his career. Bernier has a .922 save percentage for his career.

Reimer has had 4 seasons of atleast 30+ games started in his career. Bernier has only 2 seasons of 30+ games started.

Reimer has shown he is trending upwards in terms of potential/play/progression when holding the starters role as a Lead. Bernier has shown he has regressed/played poorer/not living up to the hypee as he's been in the starters role.

Toronto hasn't had a goaltender since Ed Belfour and the fanbase "screams we need one".

Please tell me why it would make sense to trade Reimer over Bernier? All I hear from people is because he's a UFA, injury prone, not consistent, etc. I just showed with a little bit of stats that Reimer has more career starts, a better save percentage, and progressed better in his career and continues to while one doesn't. Only in Leafland I tell ya..

KILLERLEAFFAN101

Jan 19, 2008
Toronto
Also, for the people who say Bernier is the more talented guy.. Why would his career statistics not suggest so? Considering his stats should be buffered a bit with having started 47 games on a perennial cup contending team with and Reimer has 198 starts on a team that has been garbage since 2004?

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Bernier has no value, so he stays. Maybe he redeems himself in the next year and a half.

Reimer is playing great. If we keep him, he could regress, and then we miss out. If we trade him, he could keep his play up, and then we miss out.

I'd say try to negotiate a deal with him by the deadline. If he doesn't want to re-sign, trade him. If he wants more than a Talbot-like contract, trade him. If he's willing to sign at a reasonable rate, keep him and see what he can do going forward.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
My guess is Riemer is gone. There is no talk of extending him and it would be poor asset management to let him walk for nothing. Plenty of time to sort the goaltending situation for the long term.

OvenMittz*

If were trading a Goalie you trade Reimer.

Reimer has the highest value right now and has among the best numbers in the league right now. You worry about Bernier next year, his value is at the lowest its ever been so might as well keep him.

Reimer can always come back if he wants.

Again we are not competeing so trade away the old and work things out later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad