Do the Leafs overcome their first round demons next year?

Do they break their curse?

• Total voters

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Actually the leafs forwards played quite well. if you look at the stats the leafs were dominating them in high danger scoring chances. Did you watch the series? Matthews played amazing, best player in the series after Korpisalo.

Well at least they had a good chance at Lafreniere.

Reactions: sayonara

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Marner didn't play great but I don't think averaging over (Matthews 5.4 SPG) and just under (Tavares 4.8 SPG) 5 SPG is exactly crapping the bed.
Getting shut out for two games and most of a third game against a playoff bubble team is definitely crapping the bed. Your best players who have some of the highest cap hits in the league can’t show up for half the series.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Actually the leafs forwards played quite well. if you look at the stats the leafs were dominating them in high danger scoring chances. Did you watch the series? Matthews played amazing, best player in the series after Korpisalo.
Yeah the forwards played great! Other than the scoring part. :laugh:
And while I agree that Matthews was one of the few Leafs to play really well, I’d take both Jones and PLD over Matthews too in that series.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
First year it was they played Washington. Second and third years it was because they played Boston. Fourth year it was because they ran into a good goalie. You and the usual suspects are running out of excuses. :laugh:
But hey, if you’re happy with their performance then more power to you.

Last edited:

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
First year it was they played Washington. Second and third years it was because they played Boston. Fourth year it was because they ran into a good goalie. You and the usual suspects are running out of excuses. :laugh:
But hey, if you’re happy with their performance than more power to you.
You seem to spend a lot of time on here hating on the leafs. Is there anything you like about them? Do you think Matthews is one of the best goal scorers in the league? I just ask so I can gage how much of a biased Leaf hater you are so I know if there’s any point in debating you.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You seem to spend a lot of time on here hating on the leafs. Is there anything you like about them? Do you think Matthews is one of the best goal scorers in the league? I just ask so I can gage how much of a biased Leaf hater you are so I know if there’s any point in debating you.
I think the Leafs have some great young players including Matthews. But the reality is that the team has underachieved in the playoffs. Especially this last year against a very beatable team that might not have even made the playoffs. This is factually correct. If that constitutes ‘hating on the Leafs’ in your view then maybe avoid the main boards where you will find some views that don’t accord with your own.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I think the Leafs have some great young players including Matthews. But the reality is that the team has underachieved in the playoffs. Especially this last year against a very beatable team that might not have even made the playoffs. This is factually correct. If that constitutes ‘hating on the Leafs’ in your view then maybe avoid the main boards where you will find some views that don’t accord with your own.
What you meant to say was you reaaaally want to keep beating a dead horse and riding around all high and mighty afterwards.

If it were one post ‘hating on the leafs’, then sure, it could be viewed as objective and placed into a category where maybe your views just aren’t in the same stratosphere than ours. Unfortunately, you seem to have a deep need for likes by attempted ‘dunking’ on leaf fans. As it stands, a good majority of your posts are about the leafs being chokers, over paid forwards, no depth etc. Despite them not being your team.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
What you meant to say was you reaaaally want to keep beating a dead horse and riding around all high and mighty afterwards.

If it were one post ‘hating on the leafs’, then sure, it could be viewed as objective and placed into a category where maybe your views just aren’t in the same stratosphere than ours. Unfortunately, you seem to have a deep need for likes by attempted ‘dunking’ on leaf fans. As it stands, a good majority of your posts are about the leafs being chokers, over paid forwards, no depth etc. Despite them not being your team.

The reality of it is, you don’t like the leafs by such a margin that they live rent free in your head. You can’t hold off on an opportunity to get a dig in because you’re immature and it makes you feel better about yourself.
Incorrect. The thread is will the Leafs beat their first round demons. And pointing out that they underperformed this past year is relevant imo. If some posters like yourself aren’t mature enough to handle that then that’s not really my issue.
For the record I think there’s a good chance they do get past the first round this year but their star players are going to have to play much better and can’t be shut out in two out of five games. If that view upsets you and isn’t in the same stratosphere as your view then that’s your issue, not mine.
Anyways my last post here as I seem to have ruffled a few feathers by stating that the Leafs star players under performed in the past play in series against Columbus. But I still stand by my view and don’t see it as simply losing to a hot goalie. To me that’s a lame excuse that ignores the real issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Judging by his conclusions, I highly doubt it.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Incorrect. The thread is will the Leafs beat their first round demons. And pointing out that they underperformed this past year is relevant imo. If some posters like yourself aren’t mature enough to handle that then that’s not really my issue.
For the record I think there’s a good chance they do get past the first round this year but their star players are going to have to play much better and can’t be shut out in two out of five games. If that view upsets you and isn’t in the same stratosphere as your view then that’s your issue, not mine.
Anyways my last post here as I seem to have ruffled a few feathers by stating that the Leafs star players under performed in the past play in series against Columbus. But I still stand by my view and don’t see it as simply losing to a hot goalie. To me that’s a lame excuse that ignores the real issue.
Lol. Nah.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
all they need is a favorable matchup. Someone like Montreal or Washington or Florida.

LOL. The leafs struggling against tight checking teams with good goalies and Montreal has 4 straight wins against them. Not sure how favorable it is for the leafs. Chances are they won't be able to play either American team this year, but Washington would probably beat them pretty easily too.

Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
all they need is a favorable matchup. Someone like Montreal or Washington or Florida.

Toronto Maple Leafs - Florida Panthers Head to Head Statistics Games, Hockey Results - Hockey Database Wettpoint

The last 10 games dating back to 2018, FLA has won 5, TOR has won 5.
The last 20 games dating back to 2016, FLA has won 10, TOR has won 10.
The last 30 games dating back to 2013, FLA has won 16, TOR has won 14.

This is a playoff series that needs to happen in the next few years.
Both teams haven't been to the 2nd round in the modern era.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

I wouldnt say losing to superior teams is underachieving... Especially taking a bad matchup in Boston to back-to-back game 7s.

Do I wish they won? Obviously, but im also not surprised they lost.

As for Columbus, yes they should have won. That was a disappointing loss. But the team as a whole was a mess from the opening faceoff last season. People talk about Columbus like they were some huge underdog, but they had the same record as Toronto.

Overall, underachieving is a bit disingenuous and if it wasnt the Leafs this narrative wouldnt exist.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think so they will be in a Canadian division so they will have a favourable matchup regardless, Winnipeg would probably be the toughest matchup.

The Leafs don't have to worry about their backup losing games by himself anymore because they have Jack Campbell and Aaron Dell.

The Leafs are a much better team.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think so they will be in a Canadian division so they will have a favourable matchup regardless, Winnipeg would probably be the toughest matchup.

The Leafs don't have to worry about their backup losing games by himself anymore because they have Jack Campbell and Aaron Dell.

The Leafs are a much better team.

Canadian division would be a lot tougher than the Atlantic, not nearly as many bottom feeders to get points from, not to mention Boston won’t have Marchand or Pasta.
probably throw 6 teams in a hat, then Ottawa, but DJ coached teams are tough out as well.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Canadian division would be a lot tougher than the Atlantic, not nearly as many bottom feeders to get points from, not to mention Boston won’t have Marchand or Pasta.
probably throw 6 teams in a hat, then Ottawa, but DJ coached teams are tough out as well.

The Leafs avoid Tampa or Boston until the conference final that means they get favourable matchups.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The Leafs avoid Tampa or Boston until the conference final that means they get favourable matchups.

Guess you didn’t see the part that Boston is taking a step back, even the colour guy said so on a podcast.

we should know if there is a Canadian division soon, cause if the raptors can’t play in Toronto then likely Canadian division.

iloovRMB

Paul Feyerabend is my spirit animal
Aug 22, 2020
Teams in the Canadian conference that are better than Toronto:
Canucks
Flames
Oilers

Teams they're tied with
Jets
Canadiens

Teams they're better than:
Ottawa

Yeah I don't like their chances of even making the playoffs next year.

Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
LOL. The leafs struggling against tight checking teams with good goalies and Montreal has 4 straight wins against them. Not sure how favorable it is for the leafs. Chances are they won't be able to play either American team this year, but Washington would probably beat them pretty easily too.
It’s unlikely the Habs make the playoffs but if the Leafs played the Habs they would be heavy favourites. The Leafs 4th best forward is better than the Habs best forward.

Reactions: Kelly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad