Do the Leafs overcome their first round demons next year?

Do they break their curse?

• Total voters

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
If I were the Leafs... I'd worry more about the 50 plus year run of mediocrity and sub-average play than building a team that'll lose in the second round.

The goal ought to be winning a 'Cup. Everybody else, with the exception of the Presidents' Trophy winner, is a total and undeniable loser...regardless of whether or not they advanced in a playoff round.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
If I were the Leafs... I'd worry more about the 50 plus year run of mediocrity and sub-average play than building a team that'll lose in the second round.

The goal ought to be winning a 'Cup. Everybody else, with the exception of the Presidents' Trophy winner, is a total and undeniable loser...regardless of whether or not they advanced in a playoff round.
Easy for you to say, keeping in mind the Leafs' record sine 2004... or 1967.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Easy for you to say, keeping in mind the Leafs' record sine 2004... or 1967.

Yeah, that's my point.

The Leafs really didn't accomplish any more meaningful in 2004 just because they made it out of the first round. Year after year, the Leafs have stunk at worst and have been mediocre at best...going back well into the 60's. That sort of continuous failure to thrive isn't the result of chance or bad luck, it's the result of a poisonous mindset and a mentality stuck in the darkest of places. Losing in the second round won't solve what's wrong in Toronto. They need a total make-over, a complete change-over from their culture of failure to a vision of success and health.

Good luck with that.

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yeah, that's my point.

The Leafs really didn't accomplish any more meaningful in 2004 just because they made it out of the first round. Year after year, the Leafs have stunk at worst and have been mediocre at best...going back well into the 60's. That sort of continuous failure to thrive isn't the result of chance or bad luck, it's the result of a poisonous mindset and a mentality stuck in the darkest of places. Losing in the second round won't solve what's wrong in Toronto. They need a total make-over, a complete change-over from their culture of failure to a vision of success and health.

Good luck with that.

Pretty sure that's what this team has been doing for the past few years now, but f*** it. Trade everyone, fire Keefe ! :sarcasm:

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If they had not traded Kadri they would have made it past the first round already IMO.

Possibly. The Kadri trade hurts a lot less now that we got Brodie though. The first trade attempt was Kadri for Brodie, which Kadri vetod. Leaving us with Tyson f***ing Barrie. I like the balance and experience the new roster has. Leafs fans are very optimistic on our chances this year with the revamped D and bottom 6. A lot to be excited about this upcoming season. Looks good on paper so far, let's see if it translates to on-ice success, I'm betting it does. Anything short of the 2nd round is unacceptable.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Hot goalie or expensive star players who can't score when it counts? Pick your narrative.
The bottom line is that the Leaf star players who get paid to perform couldn't score when it counts against a fairly average goalie and a team that wouldn't have likely made the playoffs. They made the Columbus goalie look like Hasek and were shut out for two games and almost a third, including the decisive game 5 when you expect your best players to be your best players.
In the next series Tampa had no issues putting the puck in the net against Columbus.

The same goalie that made 85 saves vs Tampa Bay in a single game in the very next series ?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
played great for 8 periods, was just pointing out you failed to mention 5 OT
Thought it was pretty obvious lol.

36 saves on 37 shots
85 saves on 88 shots
31 saves on 34 shots
20 saves on 25 shots

.934 save percentage that series. Just sounds like you're trying to discredit him.

As for the OP i was responding to "Tampa had no issues putting the puck in the net vs cbj" lol

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The same goalie that made 85 saves vs Tampa Bay in a single game in the very next series ?
Yes. The goalie with a .908 lifetime NHL save percentage whose team was beaten by Tampa 4 games to 1 in the very next series.
As I said Columbus was a playoff bubble team at best with a below average goalie. Sure he got hot but a high powered team like the Leafs with high cap players can’t be happy about being shut out in two of five games and they came within minutes of being shut out a third time. They weren’t facing prime Hasek here or a top team. Sooner or later you need to beat those teams if you expect to go on any kind of playoff run against the true top teams.

Last edited:

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Yes. The goalie with a .908 lifetime NHL save percentage whose team was beaten by Tampa 4 games to 1 in the very next series.
As I said Columbus was a playoff bubble team at best with a below average goalie. Sure he got hot but a high powered team like the Leafs with high cap players can’t be happy about being shut out in two of five games and they came within minutes of being shut out a third time. They weren’t facing prime Hasek here or a top team. Sooner or later you need to beat those teams if you expect to go on any kind of playoff run against the true top teams.
The leafs ran into a hot goalie in Columbus, shit happens.

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
I'm gonna give the benefit and say yes, they will break thru.

If they don't, I'm guessing you might have to trade one of Marner/Nylander/Tavares? Cause Matthews is safe, no doubt about that, but to shake things up, you might have to trade one of those 3 guys.

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
I’d say more like the Leafs high priced forwards crapped the bed. Shit does indeed happen.

Say whatever you want, just sound like a fool if you call that average goaltending. They were lights out before Tampa solved the puzzle, including Korps 80+ save performance.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Say whatever you want, just sound like a fool if you call that average goaltending. They were lights out before Tampa solved the puzzle, including Korps 80+ save performance.
Sorry but you’re the one sounding like the fool. The bottom line is that he shut out the Leafs in 2 games and came within minutes of getting a third shut out. There’s simply no comparison to how Tampa played and how the Leafs played and its foolish to even bring up the next series which Tampa won 4-1.
It’s the playoffs where play gets tighter and more physical and the Leafs high priced forwards still need to prove they can play successfully in that type of series. The jury is still out. And the excuses of playing good teams like Washington and then Boston and now running into a hot goalie are starting to sound lame. It’s time to win and shelf the lame excuses.

Last edited:

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Sorry but you’re the one sounding like the fool. The bottom line is that he shut out the Leafs in 2 games and came within minutes of getting a third shut out. There’s simply no comparison to how Tampa played and how the Leafs played and its foolish to even bring up the next series which Tampa won 4-1.
It’s the playoffs where play gets tighter and the Leafs high priced forwards still need to prove they can play successfully in that type of series. The jury is still out. And the excuses of playing good teams like Washington and then Boston and now running into a hot goalie are starting to sound lame. It’s time to win and shelf the lame excuses.

Nah dude, your post on the last page is basically you admitting that, short of winning a Cup, the Leafs will always suck in your eyes, and nothing will ever sway that opinion.

Yes. Because unlike you I rely on facts and not emotion.
Like I said, at some point you need to put aside the lame excuses and just win a series.

Lol @ talking to him like he plays for the team. I'm sure he is relaying your wisdom to the boys over group text as we speak. :laugh:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Nah dude, your post on the last page is basically you admitting that, short of winning a Cup, the Leafs will always suck in your eyes, and nothing will ever sway that opinion.

Lol @ talking to him like he plays for the team. I'm sure he is relaying your wisdom to the boys over group text as we speak. :laugh:
Interesting take for criticizing a team that lost to a playoff bubble team in the play-in round and didn’t even make the playoff rounds. But hey if you’re happy with that performance and think it’s like criticizing the team for not winning the Cup who am I to rain on your parade. :laugh:

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I’d say more like the Leafs high priced forwards crapped the bed. Shit does indeed happen.
Actually the leafs forwards played quite well. if you look at the stats the leafs were dominating them in high danger scoring chances. Did you watch the series? Matthews played amazing, best player in the series after Korpisalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad