Does he get it?

• Yes

Votes: 45 9.4%
  • No

Votes: 434 90.6%

• Total voters

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If he gets it, YIKES! If he comes close, YIKES!

I don't blame him. Severson just got $50M, and I think Orlov is a better player than him by a decent margin.

Agree on talent, but Severson is 3+ years younger than Orlov.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Technically you could get away with paying him $8M next season, if it's a contract like 8/8/6/6/4/4 for a $6M cap hit over 6 years. That's often what you see with contracts for players his age.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If he gets it, YIKES! If he comes close, YIKES!

Agree on talent, but Severson is 3+ years younger than Orlov.
Oh I'm not saying he'll get anything for sure, just that it makes perfect sense that he and his agent would be expecting a boatload at this stage.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
People saying that Orlov is maybe a $6M player needs to catch up with modern player prices. His contract was taking 6.8% of the cap on signing , and with the cap expected to rise to 87.5 the season after next, $6M is literally not a raise, and Orlov has since played a much bigger role and won the Cup.

And if he wanted to sign a 2-3 year contract, he could just stayed in Washington.

So I expect some 6.7x7 contract that will be met with message board dissatisfaction.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If he wants $8 million AAV, there’s probably a couple of teams who’d give it to him, but doubt he gets more than 3 years. Maybe a team could justify 4 years?

It really is going to be tough finding any team prepared to hand him $8 million over 7 years.

Who? Look at the teams with the cap space to begin with. Would Chicago? Anaheim? Maybe the Isles? Don’t think Arizona, Buffalo, Detroit or Ottawa would.

It’s going to be tough. You would think at the most he could bet $7 million over 7 years.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Seems about right.

Good on him, making the most out of absolutely terrible FA class. He's not worth that much but for a desperate GM... the drop-off between him and the next best guy is massive now that Severson is gone. Someone is going to give him a contract they'll regret later.

He also asked for 6-7 years from Washington. So he isn't going to sign a 2 or 3-year deal.

Reactions: BKarchitect

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
People saying that Orlov is maybe a $6M player needs to catch up with modern player prices. His contract was taking 6.8% of the cap on signing , and with the cap expected to rise to 87.5 the season after next, $6M is literally not a raise, and Orlov has since played a much bigger role and won the Cup.

And if he wanted to sign a 2-3 year contract, he could just stayed in Washington.

So I expect some 6.7x7 contract that will be met with message board dissatisfaction.

Sure Orlov was probably worth the ask but you have to remember he’s 32. You aren’t buying basically any prime years from Orlov.

Any Gm who pays him that should be fired on the spot

Last edited:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Sure Orlov was probably worth the ask but you have to remember he’s 32. You aren’t buying basically any prime years from Orlov.
I think that Orlov can still be regarded as immediate help for a contending team, a dependable and versatile top 4 defenseman. Some club looking for a last Cup push before a a rebuild may give him his term gambling on him not declining before they enter rebuild.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
HFB during the summer:

“I am OUTRAGED players x y and z got this much money! WHAT A JOKE! Lolol this contract is TERRIBLE!”

“I am OUTRAGED my team did nothing to improve itself! My GM just sits around and let’s our competitors get better! WHAT A JOKE!”

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I do wonder if someone like the Penguins don't move money around to clear space to just go all in and give him what he wants to try to capitalize on those last few years of potential competitive "window"...and then just add it to the heap of contracts to "worry about down the road".
I do like the idea of Orlov on the Penguins, but that's a bit of a steep price.
It might be worth it, though, depending on what's done about the goalie situation.

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
Orlov fits the Penguins value proposition perfectly: Tie up 70% of your cap on guys in their mid thirties.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If I were him I’d go for my long term retirement contract instead of chasing AAV

That's probably what ends up happening. The $8M ask is just strategy to start high. Heading into his age 32 season and he's a legit 2nd pairing quality that plays physical and chips in on points here and there.

3-5 year deal around $6M is my guess. Salary cap is growing but he's not going to improve from age 32-36. Any GM falling for that trap and willing to pay $7M - $8M is taking salary cap management risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad