Disney Star Wars General Discussion

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Amazing how many flops Disney has put out in the last few years between Star Wars and the MCU and yet they're still focused on "Messaging" rather than simply putting out a quality movie.

They apparently didn't learn much from The Marvels.
And yet, we'd throw rocks at any serious artist blatantly putting "making money" over "messaging".

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
And yet, we'd throw rocks at any serious artist blatantly putting "making money" over "messaging".

I dunno, I think I'd just like to go back to the point where we hired whoever was going to tell a good story and not somebody who was going to go through the tenth rehashing of either "Feminine protagonist realizes her true power when no longer held back by her male counterparts" or "Male protagonist realizes he's powerless without his female counterparts."

Probably why Guardians is sitting at nearly quadruple its budget with a 7.9 on IMDb and The Marvels is still in the red budget wise, with a 5.8 rating.

Westworld and Wandavision are two recent examples where they did an incredible job of building strong female lead characters, and didn't need to lecture you on how men suck and women are superior to get there.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I dunno, I think I'd just like to go back to the point where we hired whoever was going to tell a good story and not somebody who was going to go through the tenth rehashing of either "Feminine protagonist realizes her true power when no longer held back by her male counterparts" or "Male protagonist realizes he's powerless without his female counterparts."

Probably why Guardians is sitting at nearly quadruple its budget with a 7.9 on IMDb and The Marvels is still in the red budget wise, with a 5.8 rating.

Westworld and Wandavision are two recent examples where they did an incredible job of building strong female lead characters, and didn't need to lecture you on how men suck and women are superior to get there.

I remember watching a backdoor pilot for Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders where they introduced the new cast in the middle of a regular Criminal Minds episode.

I had no advance notice so I wasn't really sure what was going on at first, but it became pretty obvious.

It was so cringeworthy that I could barely watch it, because the writers were so intent on making you like the cast of the new show that the existing cast were blowing smoke up their asses on a continuous basis.

"Wow, Stevie is the best hacker I've ever seen! Even faster than me!"

"Man, I've heard that this Reggie guy is the best sniper in the entire US military. He's done things that no one has ever done!"

"This team is the -real deal-. I mean, with them helping us out, there's no way the unsub is going to get away."

It was so unnatural and pandering that I was instantly conditioned to hate all of them. Don't TELL us that they are great, SHOW us that they are great, over time, in a reasonable fashion.

Sometimes I think that a lot of creators and writers of content these days are trying so hard to make you like something or believe something immediately that it ends up causing the opposite effect.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I remember watching a backdoor pilot for Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders where they introduced the new cast in the middle of a regular Criminal Minds episode.

I had no advance notice so I wasn't really sure what was going on at first, but it became pretty obvious.

It was so cringeworthy that I could barely watch it, because the writers were so intent on making you like the cast of the new show that the existing cast were blowing smoke up their asses on a continuous basis.

"Wow, Stevie is the best hacker I've ever seen! Even faster than me!"

"Man, I've heard that this Reggie guy is the best sniper in the entire US military. He's done things that no one has ever done!"

"This team is the -real deal-. I mean, with them helping us out, there's no way the unsub is going to get away."

It was so unnatural and pandering that I was instantly conditioned to hate all of them. Don't TELL us that they are great, SHOW us that they are great, over time, in a reasonable fashion.

Sometimes I think that a lot of creators and writers of content these days are trying so hard to make you like something or believe something immediately that it ends up causing the opposite effect.

Sounds similar to what Disney did with Falcon and Winter Soldier. I actually looked forward to Falcon as the new Captain America, until they spent the entire mini-series lecturing viewers on how white people wont accept a black man as Captain America.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sounds similar to what Disney did with Falcon and Winter Soldier. I actually looked forward to Falcon as the new Captain America, until they spent the entire mini-series lecturing viewers on how white people wont accept a black man as Captain America.

My only real beef with that show is that the Winter Soldier who could fight off like 2 or 3 Avengers off simultaneously was suddenly a pansy.

I get that he’s not a killbot anymore but it seemed like he lost like every fight he was in.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'll be a bit surprised if it actually gets made. There's been plenty of SW films announced that never happened.

That said, if it does happen, I'd be kind of curious to know what the plan is story-wise. Where do you really go with this character? With the SW galaxy in general?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm not sure where Disney goes next with Star Wars. Seems clear they want to give Filoni a movie to tie Ahsoka and Mando together. I would probably bide my time and give promising people their own shows or feature films.

A live action show based on the Rogue Squadron novels would be fun. A stand alone movie based on the Legends novel Death Troopers could be really good if given the right direction. I just think you have a rich galaxy of possibilities to draw off of, don't get cornered making some soulless bs for the sake of it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What a shocker:

Driver revealed on “The Rich Eisen Show” last month that his arc as Kylo Ren completed changed from its original plan over the course of his three films: “The Force Awakens” (2015), “The Last Jedi” (2017) and “The Rise of Skywalker” (2019). The character was never supposed to soften up and be redeemed as Ben Solo. In fact, the original plan was apparently just the opposite. Kyle Ren was supposed to become more evil during the trilogy, not a conflicted anti-hero.

“I had an overall arc in mind that [J.J. Abrams] wanted to do,” Driver said. “His idea was that [Kylo’s] journey was the opposite journey of Vader, where Vader starts the most confident and the most committed to the dark side. And then by the last movie, he’s the most vulnerable and weak. He wanted to start with the opposite. This character was the most confused and vulnerable, and by the end of the three movies, he would be the most committed to the dark side. I tried to keep that arc in mind, regardless if that wound up not being the journey anyway, because it changed while shooting. But I was still focused on that.”

The lack of continuity strikes again.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
What a shocker:

Driver revealed on “The Rich Eisen Show” last month that his arc as Kylo Ren completed changed from its original plan over the course of his three films: “The Force Awakens” (2015), “The Last Jedi” (2017) and “The Rise of Skywalker” (2019). The character was never supposed to soften up and be redeemed as Ben Solo. In fact, the original plan was apparently just the opposite. Kyle Ren was supposed to become more evil during the trilogy, not a conflicted anti-hero.

“I had an overall arc in mind that [J.J. Abrams] wanted to do,” Driver said. “His idea was that [Kylo’s] journey was the opposite journey of Vader, where Vader starts the most confident and the most committed to the dark side. And then by the last movie, he’s the most vulnerable and weak. He wanted to start with the opposite. This character was the most confused and vulnerable, and by the end of the three movies, he would be the most committed to the dark side. I tried to keep that arc in mind, regardless if that wound up not being the journey anyway, because it changed while shooting. But I was still focused on that.”

Bummer because that actually makes some sense (I think the first two movies are seeding that) and could've been cool. Certainly would've been better.

Reactions: NyQuil

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
What a shocker:

Not to rehash 5+ year old internet arguments, but I can’t see any defense of the writing decisions for that trilogy. Just a sloppy mess, poorly executed, and directionless set of movies only moderately entertaining from VFX and the general Star Wars brand

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This coming out of nowhere and being fast tracked into production looks like a reaction to Disney's disastrous 2023. They desperately need something that makes money, and a Mandalorian movie with Grogu in it is sure to make money. I bet that they threw a lot of money at Favreau to save them.

Reactions: Richard

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

How they haven't already done a season of this I don't understand. Although knowing the fandom they'll lose their shit when somebody decides to change something even though the entire point is What If...:laugh:

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What If... Palpatine suddenly returned after 30 years and had a family?
What If... Luke abandoned his friends and the Force to milk goats?
What If... Boba Fett survived and became a good guy?
What If... Obi-Wan needed saving from an 8 year old?
What If... lightsabers were no longer deadly?
What If... we cast Jack Black and Lizzo?

They've been doing "What If..." for 9 years already. :laugh:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
What If one single person had the vision and authority for the sequel series?
That person probably would have been George Lucas, and I have a feeling people would have hated it as much as the prequels. Although the prequels at least have been somewhat redeemed with the passage of time (and TCW which helped flesh out the characters and era better).

The old Infinities comics were kind of fun so something like that as a short animated series would be fun.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The Star Wars prequels have been somewhat redeemed? They're just a pile of garbage.
Maybe redeemed wasn't the right word. I think the hatred they get has lessened over the years though, partly just because it was 20 years ago and partly because for some it was their entry into Star Wars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad