Discussion: Road to the 2014 Playoffs (23 Consecutive Playoff Appearances!)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Or whatever. Ha!

Yes, it was quite a roller coaster year. I'm just glad to say we get to watch more playoff hockey. Best time of year! :nod:

Hm, new playoff avatar idea? ;)

3256.jpg

Hahahah

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
St. James article about the kids, some glowing praise by Babcock.

http://www.freep.com/article/201404...ports05?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Our team is way better because we've got kids and they've won jobs and they're going to keep jobs," Babcock said. "We're way quicker and way harder, we're a more physical team. I like us."

No one is in doubt the kids have saved the season."No question," Babcock said, "we couldn't have done it without them. They came here, but they took jobs. They're not going anywhere. They're real good players that keep getting better and they're going to be part of us for a long time."

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Congrats to the Red Wings. An incredible streak and it is a testament to the great people in that organization these past couple of decades. I remember a lot of people saying in the pre-cap era that Detroit got into the playoffs due to their high payroll each year. Well what about now? Good scouting and good hockey people in the organization produce good results year in and year out. Well done Detroit :handclap:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

http://www.freep.com/article/201404...ports05?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I love it.

Finally we're seeing what nearly all of us were clamoring for a couple years now. Youth brings speed, excitement, hunger, passion. And it's infectious. Good for all the older guys who've been down that path so often maybe they're not as pumped up. And of course the vets are there to calm everyone when it's needed. A good mix is always the best course of action.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Jurco is NHL ready, but I still wouldn't cry if he starts next year in the AHL. Just to get some more puck time. Because he's already basically what Babcock dreams/believes Abdelkader is. Which is awesome, but he's got the ability to grow into so much more with his skill and IQ.

I really can't remember the last time we had a prospect like him. Not from a ceiling standpoint, but from a stylistic standpoint. Big, lengthy, and fast, highly skilled, but learning to play the NHL game by playing in the dirty areas. I love this kids' future.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Jurco is NHL ready, but I still wouldn't cry if he starts next year in the AHL. Just to get some more puck time. Because he's already basically what Babcock dreams/believes Abdelkader is. Which is awesome, but he's got the ability to grow into so much more with his skill and IQ.

I really can't remember the last time we had a prospect like him. Not from a ceiling standpoint, but from a stylistic standpoint. Big, lengthy, and fast, highly skilled, but learning to play the NHL game by playing in the dirty areas. I love this kids' future.

I don't think he will start in the AHL . Jurco looks solid even in the 3rd line . I disagree with DRW prospect rating . He is , in my opinion #1 prospect

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

Typically stupid journalism by St. James, who refers to the thoroughly ineffective line of Alfredsson, Helm, and Jurco--a line whose formation, in the first place, broke up the extremely effective Kid Line that, after 30 seconds reunited, tied the game last night--as "capable of giving opponents fits." She also seemed to think that this "domino effect" that blended the lines (actually Babcock making ill-advised changes) was a positive thing, despite the fact that the new lines sucked.

She's an awful writer.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Man. At the beginning of the season, I never would have dreamed that Babcock would say something like that.
Last night's postgame interview was one of the most open and upbeat ones I've seen from Babs. Really seemed like a weight had dropped off his shoulders. Babs is stubborn but there are reasons he's so successful. Throwing the kid line back together for an offensive zone faceoff against Crosby clinched the playoffs. He knows what's up.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
dat explains a lot.

Like their excellent draft record in the later rounds? ;)

That article makes it sound like all these guys are fixtures.

It seems like it is implying Jurco has earned a spot, and will be on the team moving forward.

Though maybe I'm wrong.

I think so. He's been great and while the dangling doesn't have a place in Babcock's book, he's doing the physical part of the game up to code. He's a young physical player with mitts. That's really exciting.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Last night's postgame interview was one of the most open and upbeat ones I've seen from Babs. Really seemed like a weight had dropped off his shoulders. Babs is stubborn but there are reasons he's so successful. Throwing the kid line back together for an offensive zone faceoff against Crosby clinched the playoffs. He knows what's up.

He went for a huge challenge there, splitting up the kids line most of the game and counting on a quick score just after getting it back together. ;)
Not even speaking of Abby on the 1st line...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad