Discussion for ALL Things for Brooklyn Bound Islanders: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Unfortunately, once they are out of Nassau County, I think they are out for good, whether they stay at the BC or go elsewhere. I'm willing to bet that the out clause exists in case it is proven that the Isles cannot draw a strong enough following. If that happens, I can see them moving to Quebec or Kansas City where they would be welcomed with open arms.

I'm not worried yet and I really do hope that a solid Brooklyn fan base is created to go along with the existing LI fan base. Then there would be no reason to exercise the out clause and maybe even spend the money to reconfigure the arena to make it more hockey friendly.

You're far too reasonable to be here. I would slowly back away Homer Simpson style.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
She could've been blowing smoke, but the ticket rep that I met with at Barclays said there was a lot of interest in ticket plans from both the existing fanbase and new customers. She said that a lot of the existing fanbase wasn't going for full season plans, but were definitely interested in some sort of package. She also said the premium plans were very sought after.

Take that for what it's worth. I personally think they'll do just fine as long as they stay competitive

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
She could've been blowing smoke, but the ticket rep that I met with at Barclays said there was a lot of interest in ticket plans from both the existing fanbase and new customers. She said that a lot of the existing fanbase wasn't going for full season plans, but were definitely interested in some sort of package. She also said the premium plans were very sought after.

Take that for what it's worth. I personally think they'll do just fine as long as they stay competitive

I think the rep you spoke to gave a fair assessment, judging from those STHs I spoke to at the Coliseum. I fall into the category of waiting for a partial plan. It sounds like the games at Barclays will start at 7:30pm rather than 7:00 and that will have me getting home too late from the weeknight games. I wouldn't want to make a $3100 investment for 2 seats unless I knew I could sell the weeknights on the secondary market. That's too big a risk for me.

Looking at the seating chart at this moment the sections that are not available are 107-109, 123-125 which are along the sides, 115 & 117 in the end, 212 &213 upper corner. All the other sections on the lower and upper level have varying numbers of seats available.

I'm sure premium plans were in demand. If they weren't that would be a bad sign for the Isles success in Brooklyn.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Unfortunately, once they are out of Nassau County, I think they are out for good, whether they stay at the BC or go elsewhere. I'm willing to bet that the out clause exists in case it is proven that the Isles cannot draw a strong enough following. If that happens, I can see them moving to Quebec or Kansas City where they would be welcomed with open arms.

I'm not worried yet and I really do hope that a solid Brooklyn fan base is created to go along with the existing LI fan base. Then there would be no reason to exercise the out clause and maybe even spend the money to reconfigure the arena to make it more hockey friendly.

People don't get it. The opt-out clause WONT bring them back to Nassau. Vegas, Quebec, even Kansas City are all more likely.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
This is an article from December 1st, 2014. There is nothing new being reported here.

And while it's your OPINION that NYC will try to accommodate another move within the five boroughs there is no evidence of any movement to get the junk yards by Willets Point closed, especially since Michael Bloomberg is no longer the mayor. The political climate has changed in NYC since then.

I think the team will remain at the Barc unless a miracle occurs in the Coliseum rebuild and the capacity is suddenly raised, instead of being lowered.

What has happened to the Willets Point project? I heard the opponents lost their latest court case in August 2014 but that decision is being appealed. Can't blame Wang for showing no interest.

I was thinking about the possibility the Islanders getting a taxpayer funded facility next to Citi Field, regardless of the Willets Point redevelopment. I think the Isles will play in the Barclays at least until 2025.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
People don't get it. The opt-out clause WONT bring them back to Nassau. Vegas, Quebec, even Kansas City are all more likely.

The "Brooklyn Won't Work" crowd cannot accept this obvious reality. Brooklyn might not work, that's true. So I guess they're hoping Kansas City does.

No major professional sports team will be coming to Nassau County anytime soon. Just the thought of it is ridiculous. An AHL team is totally realistic. Beyond that, we need to be realistic.

Twenty-five years from now, I expect we'll be reading about the Great Suburban Migration of 2040, and sports teams will be relocating to sprawling suburbs and exurbs. Anyone interested in the world around them knows that isn't the case now.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What has happened to the Willets Point project? I heard the opponents lost their latest court case in August 2014 but that decision is being appealed. Can't blame Wang for showing no interest.

I was thinking about the possibility the Islanders getting a taxpayer funded facility next to Citi Field, regardless of the Willets Point redevelopment. I think the Isles will play in the Barclays at least until 2025.

Its been quiet since the court decision last August. I haven't heard anything about an appeal going forward but I expect there will be an appeal based on the interpretation of the law that states how that land can be used.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/articl...ite-win-willets-point-developers-are-cautious

As an aside, I've often wondered just how toxic the ground water in the Iron Triangle is and how long it would take to clean up the area. I'm not so sure anything other than another parking lot would be built there. I figured a future development at CitiField would go in the current parking lot, the site of Shea Stadium.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I think the rep you spoke to gave a fair assessment, judging from those STHs I spoke to at the Coliseum. I fall into the category of waiting for a partial plan. It sounds like the games at Barclays will start at 7:30pm rather than 7:00 and that will have me getting home too late from the weeknight games. I wouldn't want to make a $3100 investment for 2 seats unless I knew I could sell the weeknights on the secondary market. That's too big a risk for me.

Looking at the seating chart at this moment the sections that are not available are 107-109, 123-125 which are along the sides, 115 & 117 in the end, 212 &213 upper corner. All the other sections on the lower and upper level have varying numbers of seats available.

I'm sure premium plans were in demand. If they weren't that would be a bad sign for the Isles success in Brooklyn.

I'm interested to see if the bolded part becomes true. Someone recently asked Devils' management why our home games are at 7pm now instead of 7:30pm like they used to be, and they said it was essentially mandated by MSG. Why? That I don't know. If it was actually mandated by MSG, it obviously has to do with ratings. Devils are also a big draw for families so I can see why the earlier start on weeknights would bring more families to those games.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm interested to see if the bolded part becomes true. Someone recently asked Devils' management why our home games are at 7pm now instead of 7:30pm like they used to be, and they said it was essentially mandated by MSG. Why? That I don't know. If it was actually mandated by MSG, it obviously has to do with ratings. Devils are also a big draw for families so I can see why the earlier start on weeknights would bring more families to those games.

That's interesting. I never heard about an MSG mandated starting time. Maybe its for uniformity sake.

Until the early 1980s Isles home games started at 8pm. As games became longer in duration the start time was moved to 7:30 and then 7pm. In recent years the NHL has gotten a handle on games running over 3 hours. A typical home game ends around 9:40. I've felt that moving start times back to 7:30 would give people a chance to get home from work and out to the Coliseum. The 7pm start doesn't allow for that. Kids would still get to bed at a decent hour on a school night.

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
That's interesting. I never heard about an MSG mandated starting time. Maybe its for uniformity sake.

Until the early 1980s Isles home games started at 8pm. As games became longer in duration the start time was moved to 7:30 and then 7pm. In recent years the NHL has gotten a handle on games running over 3 hours. A typical home game ends around 9:40. I've felt that moving start times back to 7:30 would give people a chance to get home from work and out to the Coliseum. The 7pm start doesn't allow for that. Kids would still get to bed at a decent hour on a school night.

Completely in favor of a 7:30 start. As a Connecticut resident, it is already difficult to get to live games. A 7:30 start would definitely make things easier.

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
The "Brooklyn Won't Work" crowd cannot accept this obvious reality. Brooklyn might not work, that's true. So I guess they're hoping Kansas City does.

No major professional sports team will be coming to Nassau County anytime soon. Just the thought of it is ridiculous. An AHL team is totally realistic. Beyond that, we need to be realistic.

Twenty-five years from now, I expect we'll be reading about the Great Suburban Migration of 2040, and sports teams will be relocating to sprawling suburbs and exurbs. Anyone interested in the world around them knows that isn't the case now.

The right kind of marketing (I don't know the solution to that) would make Brooklyn work incredibly well. Most of the current fan base will still be in tact and if Brooklyn builds it own small base (hopefully a big base), there would be no reason to move.

I work once a week in the Bensonhurst section of Brooklyn and I have not seen a single billboard, advertisement, etc..anywhere. I've walked into Models there several times and have not seen a single item with an Islanders logo. The salesman I spoke to there did not even know that the Isles were moving to Brooklyn. I hope this does not stay this way.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
The right kind of marketing (I don't know the solution to that) would make Brooklyn work incredibly well. Most of the current fan base will still be in tact and if Brooklyn builds it own small base (hopefully a big base), there would be no reason to move.

I work once a week in the Bensonhurst section of Brooklyn and I have not seen a single billboard, advertisement, etc..anywhere. I've walked into Models there several times and have not seen a single item with an Islanders logo. The salesman I spoke to there did not even know that the Isles were moving to Brooklyn. I hope this does not stay this way.

This is a great point. No one really cares about the move yet in Brooklyn. I grew up in Bensonhurst, but the neighborhood make-up has changed entirely, and it's now a thriving community for Russian and Chinese immigrants. I think there's a tremendous opportunity to market the NHL to the affluent Russian community (check out those houses in Manhattan Beach!), along with the hipsters and young people that make Brooklyn's demographics so desirable. But when will it start? The team will be there in nine months, but they're not making any noise yet. Very disappointing to see.

Maybe it's the result of the weird transition between Brooklyn and LI, i.e. it seems like the BC staff and the NVMC folks are not interacting at all.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
This is a great point. No one really cares about the move yet in Brooklyn. I grew up in Bensonhurst, but the neighborhood make-up has changed entirely, and it's now a thriving community for Russian and Chinese immigrants. I think there's a tremendous opportunity to market the NHL to the affluent Russian community (check out those houses in Manhattan Beach!), along with the hipsters and young people that make Brooklyn's demographics so desirable. But when will it start? The team will be there in nine months, but they're not making any noise yet. Very disappointing to see.

Maybe it's the result of the weird transition between Brooklyn and LI, i.e. it seems like the BC staff and the NVMC folks are not interacting at all.

I've noticed this as well, and was holding out hope that they were waiting for the calendar to change to 2015. They need to start marketing by the spring, I think.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I will say this though. The team's success this season has already increased their exposure in NYC. I've been living in Brooklyn/Queens for 14 years, and I've seen more Islanders gear worn this year than in the previous 13 years combined.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

I live in Brooklyn & I transfer at Barclays Center every single day. I'm yet to see a single advertisement in the subway that the Isles exist, let alone are going to be moving there. It's beyond stupid. Start the campaign blitz now.

Hey brooklyn, look at this, a good young team that is having a really good year is moving to town next year. Get interested now.

With that said, like Strummergas, I too have seen far more NYI gear on people in Brooklyn then I've ever seen.

denis

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Keep in mind that there's nothing yet on sale for most people to buy; I'd expect marketing to ramp up once general season tickets are available to the public and, especially, once single-game tickets go on sale. That said, we were at a Nets game a few weeks back and they are doing a ton of in-arena marketing. Videos running on the concourse TVs, in-game commercials on the scoreboard, and an Islanders ticket table very near the main entrance. Oh, yes, duplicates of our four Stanley Cup banners now hang full time in the rafters.

denis

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Today was the first day that current STH's could purchase general season tickets at Barclay. From what I've heard the opportunity will be available until this Thursday. Have any of the STHs who are regulars here looked into this yet?

Yes; got ours. My understanding (could be wrong) is that they are handling this by seniority, with only the first wave (those who've had tickets the longest) getting access over the next few days.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yes; got ours. My understanding (could be wrong) is that they are handling this by seniority, with only the first wave (those who've had tickets the longest) getting access over the next few days.

Yes its by seniority. First day was anyone with seniority prior to 2000, and each day more people are invited into the presale.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Yes its by seniority. First day was anyone with seniority prior to 2000, and each day more people are invited into the presale.

They're also using a similar method for new customers. Invites for package presales will be staggered based on who paid their deposits first. This will be done after current package holders get their shot.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Juding the way they are pursuing ME ( a non-STH), Id say they arent having much luck.

But what do I know?

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I will say this though. The team's success this season has already increased their exposure in NYC. I've been living in Brooklyn/Queens for 14 years, and I've seen more Islanders gear worn this year than in the previous 13 years combined.

increased their exposure.

Even out here in Suffolk, I have noticed more Isles stuff, now that they arent an embarrassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad