Discussion for ALL Things for Brooklyn Bound Islanders: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islesfans1978*

I think I mentioned this on the board a while ago, as much as I want the Isles to remain in Nassau or even Suffolk county I know that is a pipe dream, that part of Long Island is an absolute mess and people are leaving in droves and I don't blame them.

My mother's house is sold and I reside in Queens, so I won't be far away.

That said, this team MUST, MUST, MUST respect its roots and remain the NEW YORK Islanders, not the Brooklyn Islanders. They have said forever that this is a Long Island team, this team does not belong to Brooklyn, they belong to Long Island, either that or they are full of dog ****. You want to make a third jersey with "Brooklyn" on it, fine, I happen to think third jersey's are Pejorative Slured, especially with this franchise that can't help but paint a bulls eye on itself with that monstrosity we call our third jersey.

But if you want to do it, fine, but the team remains the NEW YORK Islanders, NOT Brooklyn.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I think I mentioned this on the board a while ago, as much as I want the Isles to remain in Nassau or even Suffolk county I know that is a pipe dream, that part of Long Island is an absolute mess and people are leaving in droves and I don't blame them.

That said, this team MUST, MUST, MUST respect its roots and remain the NEW YORK Islanders, not the Brooklyn Islanders. They have said forever that this is a Long Island team, this team does not belong to Brooklyn, they belong to Long Island, either that or they are full of dog ****. You want to make a third jersey with "Brooklyn" on it, fine, I happen to think third jersey's are Pejorative Slured, especially with this franchise that can't help but paint a bulls eye on itself with that monstrosity we call our third jersey.

But if you want to do it, fine, but the team remains the NEW YORK Islanders, NOT Brooklyn.

They'll be no more brooklyn than they are long island.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

I am pretty convinced that soon after the move, we will be rebranded to the Brooklyn something. The only way I foresee this not happening is if we show up in Brooklyn a winner.

That means we have to not only make the playoffs this year, but we have to win a round, and then we have to have a very good offseason next summer to bring in a legitimate all star type of player. Do that and brooklyn will be excited. Show up in Brooklyn as another ho-hum bubble team or even worse a lottery team, and I guarantee brooklyn won't give a damn about the Isles. I also guarantee that the LI fans won't make the trip to brooklyn if we're bad-mediocre (i'm fairly certain they wont make the trip even if the team is good).

I think the days of us being called the NY Islanders are numbered. Personally I think they'll also do away with the name Islanders eventually, but I suppose I can see them keeping that name because of teams like the Jazz & Lakers etc. keeping their name in a new market where the name really doesn't make any sense.

As for a new name. I am really in favor of the Brooklyn Knights. I've mentioned it here before & I know a lot of you don't like the name, but I love it and the potential for a logo is awesome.

Last edited:

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I am pretty convinced that soon after the move, we will be rebranded to the Brooklyn something. The only way I foresee this not happening is if we show up in Brooklyn a winner.

That means we have to not only make the playoffs this year, but we have to win a round, and then we have to have a very good offseason next summer to bring in a legitimate all star type of player. Do that and brooklyn will be excited. Show up in Brooklyn as another ho-hum bubble team or even worse a lottery team, and I guarantee brooklyn won't give a damn about the Isles. I also guarantee that the LI fans won't make the trip to brooklyn if we're bad-mediocre (i'm fairly certain they wont make the trip even if the team is good).

I think the days of us being called the NY Islanders are numbered. Personally I think they'll also do away with the name Islanders eventually, but I suppose I can see them keeping that name because of teams like the Jazz & Lakers etc. keeping their name in a new market where the name really doesn't make any sense.

I really wouldn't mind the team being called the Brooklyn Islanders. It would allow them to do the full on Brooklyn marketing campaign without the risk of picking something goofy and mock-able (After reading that Forbes "article" it made me realize that there really aren't too many obviously good choices to rebrand them as)

The Brooklyn Islanders doesn't have a bad ring to it.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see them do something totally against the grain with the name akin to what the Angels did in baseball or something trendy like the soccer teams do... like HC Brooklyn.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Is it possible to unfairly malign a hipster?

Yes. Hipsters can be annoying and pretentious. But when a hipster opens some craft food restaurant in your neighborhood, only an ignorant schmuck doesn't try it because it was opened by a hipster.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Yes. Hipsters can be annoying and pretentious. But when a hipster opens some craft food restaurant in your neighborhood, only an ignorant schmuck doesn't try it because it was opened by a hipster.

I don't usually interview the owners of craft food restaurants to find out if they are hipsters. But if they were, I'd be concerned about hygiene as their beards probably sit in the food while being 'skillfully' created. And really, when was the last time they showered?;)

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/07...ter-jiggs-mcdonald-bids-farewell-to-coliseum/

"That was a bittersweet day for Islanders fans, who will always remember when the franchise announced it would be leaving Nassau Coliseum for Barclays Center in Brooklyn, beginning with the 2015-16 season.
Goodbye, Long Island. Hello, Brooklyn.
Islanders Country couldn’t believe it, and neither could its legendary television voice.
“Disbelief,” said Hall of Fame broadcaster Jiggs McDonald. “My reaction basically centered around the fan base and the folks that have been so loyal.”"

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I don't usually interview the owners of craft food restaurants to find out if they are hipsters. But if they were, I'd be concerned about hygiene as their beards probably sit in the food while being 'skillfully' created. And really, when was the last time they showered?;)

So now hipsters are dirty hippies?

I learned about kitchen sanitation and hygiene by learning to cook in a hippie cooperative from a bunch of bearded dudes and women wearing quilted dresses.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
So now hipsters are dirty hippies?

I learned about kitchen sanitation and hygiene by learning to cook in a hippie cooperative from a bunch of bearded dudes and women wearing quilted dresses.

Why would bearded dudes wear quilted dresses? Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I'm working in Brooklyn this summer and I get giddy every time I come up the stairs at Atlantic Terminal and see the Barclays Center. There's a decent chance that once I'm done with law school next year and save up some money, I'll move into the city and won't give a **** that the Isles are out of Nassau. If I can get a full-time job at this organization in Brooklyn, I'd be a mile away from the BC and I know what I'd be doing on game days after work.

So my opinion on the move has changed quite dramatically due to my personal circumsta...fantasies :laugh:

I just wish the seating wasn't such a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad