OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Uno

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
First of all these are not my dark horses, someone else brought those 3 teams up. I was simply making fun of the Fifa rankings.

But I would say without a doubt none of those 3 teams are likely to win this tournament IMO. And if indeed England are the 6th best odds to win the tournament anyone putting money on them is a complete fool as you deserve WAY better odds than that. If I had to pick one of those 3 teams it would have to be Uruguay since this tournament is in South America but with the major questions about Suarez's knee I don't like their chances either at this point.

Honestly anyone outside of the big 4 of Spain, Germany, Brazil, and Argentina going into this tournament is a dark horse. I guess it is hard to say a traditional power like Italy is a dark horse as they definitely have enough quality if Balotelli doesn't flake out so ok not them. So yeah 27 dark horses...
Holland is a dark horse? Undefeated in qualifying and defending runner-ups. What?
I'm going to assume you don't really follow football(soccer) if that is what you are basing this on.

The Dutch have no chance whatsoever. They are in a tough group to begin with. They lost their workhorse in midfield a few months ago when Strootman tore his ACL playing for Roma. The guy who was going to replace him, who was in no way the same type of player and was already going to be a serious step down, van der Vaart, just dropped out with a calf injury. And their defense is made up of guys who either haven't moved out of the Dutch league, which is a decent league but is definitely 2nd tier, or play for lower tier teams in bigger leagues and not too well mind you. Even the guy who pulls the strings in midfield, Sneijder, is a far cry from the player he was 4 years ago having to play in Turkey for the last few seasons.

They have a couple of world class forwards and that is pretty much about it. The Dutch had a cake qualifying group. They will be lucky to get out of their 1st round group in Brazil.

And I'm a huge fan of the Oranje but that is a team in transition that even if Robben and van Persie are fantastic has no hope.

Quoting again for posterity.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
QD, who do you think advances?

Germany and Ghana.

Playing yesterday in Manaus has the triple effect of one day fewer rest, a much harder recovery due to the conditions, and a much longer flight to Thursday's game for both Portugal and the US.

No outcome would surprise me, though, due to the possibility of a runaway scoreline either way in the Ghana/Portugal game, since they both need outright wins, so whoever trails will have to open it up to try to get back in it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Germany and Ghana.

Playing yesterday in Manaus has the triple effect of one day fewer rest, a much harder recovery due to the conditions, and a much longer flight to Thursday's game for both Portugal and the US.

No outcome would surprise me, though, due to the possibility of a runaway scoreline either way in the Ghana/Portugal game, since they both need outright wins, so whoever trails will have to open it up to try to get back in it.

I'm very nervous as I can definitely see this happening. I have a sinking feeling that Ghana wins 2-1 and the US loses 2-0 or something to that affect.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Chile vs Brazil is going to be an absolute war. If nothing else, Brazil is going to emerge battered and bruised from that game, and ripe for the taking in the quarterfinals.

Holland vs Mexico is not going to be a chicken salad picnic in the park either. Should be fun.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
One last note on the US-Portugal game. I see that Micheal Bradley is getting a lot of heat for his poor decision making at the end of the game, and rightly so. But I think the goat of the game has to be Geoff Cameron and his mindlessly stupid clearance to give Portugal the early 1-0 lead. That kind of error was utterly bush league. I mean, if you were draw up a "work description" of a "professional soccer player: defenceman", one of his primary duties would include "clearing the ball cleanly out of the defensive zone." A far greater error than Bradley's clumsiness, which didn't directly to a goal.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
One last note on the US-Portugal game. I see that Micheal Bradley is getting a lot of heat for his poor decision making at the end of the game, and rightly so. But I think the goat of the game has to be Geoff Cameron and his mindlessly stupid clearance to give Portugal the early 1-0 lead. That kind of error was utterly bush league. I mean, if you were draw up a "work description" of a "professional soccer player: defenceman", one of his primary duties would include "clearing the ball cleanly out of the defensive zone." A far greater error than Bradley's clumsiness, which didn't directly to a goal.

Exactly. I have played soccer for over 15 years now and most of the time was spent as a center back in a flat four. As a center back you have to take demand of the team and be able to communicate, pick up marks, provide assistance to your outside backs, and win the ball when it comes around you. Cameron did not do most of these things during the game.

The first goal was simple clearance that boils down to a lack of focus. The whole team came out flat, but that mistake probably cost them the game. The final goal resulted because of Bradley's turnover, but it's foolish to blame him. To a casual or amateur soccer fan, Bradley is at fault. Look closer at that play and you clearly see Cameron with his head up his ass as he tracks back to the goal. He doesn't pick up his man, gets beat to the ball, and Portugal gets the equalizer. All he had to do was pick his head up and get some sort of contact with the player to knock him off balance, or try to win the header. Instead he is late to the party and the US could be denied entering the knockout stage.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
I will say it again, there is no chance the Oranje win the World Cup this year. And when they get knocked out I'll be a big enough man not to remind you of it.

Obviously picking one team and saying they aren't going to win the World Cup will end up being right more often than not. You went way beyond that, though, saying they'd be "lucky to make it out of their group" and that they had "no hope". I think they've shown that they are real contenders and clearly made it out of their group through talent, not luck.

And this isn't cherry-picking, either. You said only 4 teams were real contenders. I called you out on exactly one team, and you pushed back hard on that one team. That one team ended up going 3-0-0 in one of the hardest groups in the tournament.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
How about them Mexicans.

Happy from only the standpoint that the CONCACAF teams have had a good showing in this Cup so far.

Now I hope the Dutch go out and kick their *****! I really don't like the Mexicans and their fans ever since the Osama chants. Always liked when Donovan was on the pitch against them as he's always been a thorn in their side.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Exactly. I have played soccer for over 15 years now and most of the time was spent as a center back in a flat four. As a center back you have to take demand of the team and be able to communicate, pick up marks, provide assistance to your outside backs, and win the ball when it comes around you. Cameron did not do most of these things during the game.

The first goal was simple clearance that boils down to a lack of focus. The whole team came out flat, but that mistake probably cost them the game. The final goal resulted because of Bradley's turnover, but it's foolish to blame him. To a casual or amateur soccer fan, Bradley is at fault. Look closer at that play and you clearly see Cameron with his head up his ass as he tracks back to the goal. He doesn't pick up his man, gets beat to the ball, and Portugal gets the equalizer. All he had to do was pick his head up and get some sort of contact with the player to knock him off balance, or try to win the header. Instead he is late to the party and the US could be denied entering the knockout stage.

The mistake on the first goal was that Cameron attempted to one touch it when he had time (no Portugal players in close proximity) to two touch it (trap and clear). Defenders are taught when in the 18 to have no more than two touches. Should have been better communications from his teammates in that situation. Regarding the second goal, you are right, Ronaldo was not the danger on that play yet most of the U.S. players eyes were on him rather then tracking the Portugal player that was making the run, I blame part of this on fatigue at the time that they got caught tunnel vision or ball watching on that one.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I don't see anyone giving Cameron a pass. It was a mindless blunder of epic proportions. Still doesn't take away from Bradley, the supposed best we have playing atrociously, even worse in the most crucial moment of the game.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Dude, no. The apology tour for Bradley needs to stop already. He's been atrocious these two games. Your quarterback in the midfield and the best player on the team absolutely cannot give the ball away when he had time and space to settle and distribute. Hell, just boot the ball into the stands and we win the game. If you've played soccer for 15 years, you'd know that the last thing you can do to a dangerous counter attacking team is to turn the ball over in the middle third, which is what Bradley did. Cameron was caught out of position and had a poor game, but he's not even in that position if Bradley makes a play that a middle schooler could make. The defense were unsettled and poorly tracked Portugal's runners, but c'mon, that play is mostly on Bradley. You know what other mistake probably cost us the game? Bradley missing the net without a goalie in it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

It's not just about one play with Bradley. Not a huge deal if he wasn't supposed to be our best.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Dude, no. The apology tour for Bradley needs to stop already. He's been atrocious these two games. Your quarterback in the midfield and the best player on the team absolutely cannot give the ball away when he had time and space to settle and distribute. Hell, just boot the ball into the stands and we win the game. If you've played soccer for 15 years, you'd know that the last thing you can do to a dangerous counter attacking team is to turn the ball over in the middle third, which is what Bradley did. Cameron was caught out of position and had a poor game, but he's not even in that position if Bradley makes a play that a middle schooler could make. The defense were unsettled and poorly tracked Portugal's runners, but c'mon, that play is mostly on Bradley. You know what other mistake probably cost us the game? Bradley missing the net without a goalie in it.

Testify!!!

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Bq6djZnIAAAV0bK.jpg

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Have to hit him where it hurts. No greater shame than being banned from playing for you Country when they need you most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad