GDT: Disappearing GDT! Game 31 OTT @ BUF at 7 PM ET on MSG-B and WGR

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Another game, another invisible outing by Sam Reinhart. Seriously, I thought at one point in time that he'd be a high end 60 point #2C.

Now, he's looking more and more like Larsson. Middlestadt is gonna make him a complete afterthought

Is he just slumping or is this starting to worry more people? We need Sam to be a top 3 player on our team long term for us to have success like Pittsburgh and Chicago, teams that struck gold on back to back top picks. Get it together Samson

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Another game, another invisible outing by Sam Reinhart. Seriously, I thought at one point in time that he'd be a high end 60 point #2C.

Now, he's looking more and more like Larsson. Middlestadt is gonna make him a complete afterthought

Is he just slumping or is this starting to worry more people? We need Sam to be a top 3 player on our team long term for us to have success like Pittsburgh and Chicago, teams that struck gold on back to back top picks. Get it together Samson

Starting to worry people? No, at this point it's gone way past "worrying". We're in the "disappointed" stage.

But I still like many aspects of his game and I think he could be a super useful complementary piece. But he's never going to be a guy that really drives offence.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012

Sam is more or less a bust; depends on how you define "bust" but he is nothing close to the player we hoped he would be and need him to be.

I see him traded before long.

Just came here to comment on the Jordan Nolan hit on Bobby Ryan! More of that please! Most entertaining moment of the game by far.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Its pretty simple to me in terms of the Sam talk...if you get an equal dman or and overpayment then you pull the trigger, if not you keep the kid and hope he develops, you dont sell low. He's not a bad player even if he's not what we had hoped for as a 2nd overrall.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Someone has to break off a gbu!!

You don’t enjoy the “we’ll let you stand in front of our goalie, and we will stand a sticks length away and give you a free 2nd chance” style defense?
I thought this was Lehner’s best game of the year, by a long shot, for what you’re hinting at.

What blows my mind, though, is how you can let guys like burrows constantly bump and hang on your goalie in addition to giving up third and fourth chances.

Lehner had bodies draped on him all night, yet his composure stood out to me most. He looked technical - most nights I get the feeling that, as he stands upright for most of the game, he’s thinking in his head “ugh I really hope I don’t have to go down at all”... he was notably lower tonight.

Hoping some of our goalies can chime in. There was a clear uptick in the Lehner optic, if that makes any sense. He LOOKED right. I don’t know how else to explain it. He was crouched and ready to rock and roll the entire game. He wasn’t a mental f***ing nut job. His rebounds were under control. He was efficient side to side. His glove was up and his paddle down where appropriate.

Wondering if others saw it like that??

- We did a much better job in the neutral zone with regards to impeding the Sens’ progress thru it. Especially the forwards. Gives the D a bit of a boost, too, as there isn’t that feeling of a constant attack coming their way at full speed every shift.

- Hate Eichel’s line changes more than a lot of things. Feel uncomfortable with him in defensive situations. But again, his pace of play away from the puck has been better since Brandon. Not that he had anything to do with it, but that’s the reference point for sure. It was the game immediately following that.

- Rodrigues is a positive impact to the lineup

- Karlsson was quiet until the final four minutes

- I see a lot of missed opportunities to put shots on goal, and I really hope we can get to a point where we focus on the next level of offense. One step at a time, I know

- I swear ROR looks like one of the Monstars came down and sucked every ounce of his talent dry. Not kidding.

I’m not being a dick, he’s just flubbing passes, giving shitty ones, missing easy clears, lapses in our zone, he looks like he’s going at 1/4 speed... concerned.

- still a few too many “not my problem” passes, namely from one Dman to his partner... and they look ten times worse when you watch them back a second time. Throwing the puck to the other side of the ice does not mean you’ve done your job, especially if it’s a shit pass. That hot potato mentality and the wings passing to where they themselves are supposed to be are still mistakes that are a little too prevalent.

But all things considered, it was very nice to win a game after playing much, much better over the last five ish.

Reactions: Chainshot

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
As expected we beat Ottawa who blow more than us. Curious to see where this team goes from here. Certainly a good one-off performance though. Gotta say Pouliot and Lehner ( recently) have been better than expected this season. If Lehner can keep it up I promise to stop asking for him to be traded - he certainly has improved from the early season blunders.

Sam needs to be traded along with Kane. Just find a buyer that will take both and get a decent return. Hes been far below even my expectations and they were not particularly high for me in the first place.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
4 game point streak. This is where the run to our 8th place draft slot begins!
This is exactly what I am afraid of. Seen it too many times. Botts needs to make changes that neither somehow get us in playoff contention (theoretically still possible...) or keep us down low while getting a bunch of futures we can use from next season (i.e. tank). This 6-7th from bottom in the final standings doesnt do any good for us ever.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
@jBuds

I think Lehner looks way more technically competent. He’s getting good pad seal, pads are inside the post on lateral movement, and his angles are fantastic. Lots of pucks hitting him in the crest.

Goalies must be the hardest working player on the team because of the sheer amount of technical work which goes into the position. I wonder if Lehner is just working harder.

I still think he’s not a locker room favorite.

Nedo801

Jul 13, 2017
Considering how much of our cap is spent on the O, we should be winning games with 6-4 and stuff like that. And yet this board see D and G as problems when we loose with 2-3 or 1-2 . I do not quite understand that.

This game...pretty ok defensive performance from all players and that is what has to be done every game if O cannot step it up and start producing more goals a game.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Considering how much of our cap is spent on the O, we should be winning games with 6-4 and stuff like that. And yet this board see D and G as problems when we loose with 2-3 or 1-2 . I do not quite understand that.

This game...pretty ok defensive performance from all players and that is what has to be done every game if O cannot step it up and start producing more goals a game.
In today's NHL you need the D to contribute offensively to get goalscoring chances. Also the D has to be able to make breakout passes and exit the D-zone while maintaining possession. Pretty sure that explains your question. G is a different story, don't think it's an issue right now compared to the rest of the team's problems (because Lehner has been OK recently) but I personally think we can recoup some assets and cap space by switching to Ullmark and another cheap young goalie.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Someone has to break off a gbu!!

I thought this was Lehner’s best game of the year, by a long shot, for what you’re hinting at.

What blows my mind, though, is how you can let guys like burrows constantly bump and hang on your goalie in addition to giving up third and fourth chances.

Lehner had bodies draped on him all night, yet his composure stood out to me most. He looked technical - most nights I get the feeling that, as he stands upright for most of the game, he’s thinking in his head “ugh I really hope I don’t have to go down at all”... he was notably lower tonight.

Hoping some of our goalies can chime in. There was a clear uptick in the Lehner optic, if that makes any sense. He LOOKED right. I don’t know how else to explain it. He was crouched and ready to rock and roll the entire game. He wasn’t a mental ****ing nut job. His rebounds were under control. He was efficient side to side. His glove was up and his paddle down where appropriate.

Wondering if others saw it like that??

- We did a much better job in the neutral zone with regards to impeding the Sens’ progress thru it. Especially the forwards. Gives the D a bit of a boost, too, as there isn’t that feeling of a constant attack coming their way at full speed every shift.

- Hate Eichel’s line changes more than a lot of things. Feel uncomfortable with him in defensive situations. But again, his pace of play away from the puck has been better since Brandon. Not that he had anything to do with it, but that’s the reference point for sure. It was the game immediately following that.

- Rodrigues is a positive impact to the lineup

- Karlsson was quiet until the final four minutes

- I see a lot of missed opportunities to put shots on goal, and I really hope we can get to a point where we focus on the next level of offense. One step at a time, I know

- I swear ROR looks like one of the Monstars came down and sucked every ounce of his talent dry. Not kidding.

I’m not being a dick, he’s just flubbing passes, giving ****ty ones, missing easy clears, lapses in our zone, he looks like he’s going at 1/4 speed... concerned.

- still a few too many “not my problem” passes, namely from one Dman to his partner... and they look ten times worse when you watch them back a second time. Throwing the puck to the other side of the ice does not mean you’ve done your job, especially if it’s a **** pass. That hot potato mentality and the wings passing to where they themselves are supposed to be are still mistakes that are a little too prevalent.

But all things considered, it was very nice to win a game after playing much, much better over the last five ish.

Fine, fine. I hate making them if I haven't paid attention to the whole game but there is one up now.

Reactions: jBuds

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Sam Reinhart ---> see Kyle Turris and Brayden Schenn

I'd trade him for a promising young defenseman. He's going to be a very good player in his mid-20's and onwards. I'd trade ROR before Reinhart, he has more trade value.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
4 game point streak. This is where the run to our 8th place draft slot begins!

~Most recent schedule~

They got shutout by Canadiens
Shutout by the Lightning
Shutout n crushed by the Penguins
Smashed n nearly shutout again by the Penguins
Beat a garbage team that had 48 points last year named the Avalanche
Smashed by the Blackhawks despite the score
Smashed by the Blues despite the score
and beat the Senators who are on the shittiest road trip ever

I don't see this team drafting 8th...at least I hope not. Though it seems to be a habit of theirs to ruin the draft pick with meaningless wins they've never built on year after year.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

WELCOME!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad