Dirtiest players post 2005 lockout

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
Canucks series in 03 off the top of my head. Has two good games. Spends the rest of the series taking stupid penalties.

Sharks series in 04. 1 assist and ~20PIM iirc.

And ofc him digging a hole for his team in G6 and being awful in G5 of the cup finals in 2010.

I don't agree with any of that except maybe the 2004 series.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Add Crosby to the list. He had a multi year stretch where he was really greasy and got away with it. Lots of slashes and slew foots

That's the NHL's fault. They were letting star players slash hands all over the place. It got out of control. Crosby sliced a guy's finger tip off, and then at one point Ovechkin slashed Crosby's hand and he had to come out of the game temporarily.

Of course the players played dumb and pretended it was all accidental. Bullshit! haha.

These days they call it, and rightly so. And not coincidentally it's not happening nearly as much - near as I can tell.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Different ways to be dirty IMO.

Wilson is indeed dirty but at least the things he was doing were in the act of playing hockey for the most part (except this latest one which was ultra stupid). He would hit people high or put his shoulder into a guy's jaw. Those were intentional and nasty. They were also at least somewhat related to playing hockey.

Marchand concussed a Marcus Johansson and it had nothing to do with hockey, and it was 100% intentional. The NHL went way too light on that one IMO.

Matt Cooke did some awful things too that had nothing to do with playing hockey. I still maintain that his skate boot coming down on Karlsson's ankle was 100% intentional and cannot be explained by any rational hockey move.

Not excusing Wilson - he deserved his suspensions - but IMO injuries caused by actions that are not remotely in the course of playing hockey are more egregious.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I always figured Torres got a bit of a bad rap. He was a heavy and frequent hitter and if his timing was slightly off, the hits could come across as predatory at worst, reckless at best. I think him and Wilson and perhaps Trouba are cut from the same cloth. And if that's the case, Scott Stevens also belongs here.
There is an argument for all of them being called "dirty", but not Ken Linseman dirty.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I always figured Torres got a bit of a bad rap. He was a heavy and frequent hitter and if his timing was slightly off, the hits could come across as predatory at worst, reckless at best. I think him and Wilson and perhaps Trouba are cut from the same cloth. And if that's the case, Scott Stevens also belongs here.
There is an argument for all of them being called "dirty", but not Ken Linseman dirty.

Wilsons hits are more within the rules than Torres. The problem with Torres is that he was dumb and couldn't adapt. Most of Wilsons (and Troubas) hits are dirty but within the context of the new NHL while Torres was so far over the line that when you see his highlights you are baffled he wasnt suspended for life.

The Hossa hit being the most extreme example.

Stevens is a weird case where I think he was dirty in a sense but still legal as per NHL refs under Bettmans orders. He would go out of his way to hit people in the head which is dirty and was illegal according to the rulebook even then. His defenders will usually say "we didn't know about head injuries back then" but we did we just weren't 100% of the long term effects (we still arent) but everyone knew that if you had a concussion it was easier to get another one which, if you're not a complete moron, would lead anyone to the conclusion that there is some long term damage on the brain.

TLDR: Torres was just as dirty as Stevens, Trouba, Wilson pre-lockout. Post-lockout however he is in a league of his own.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Who are historically known as the dirtiest players who've played post 2005 lockout. The only criteria being that if their career spanned both pre and post lockout, their dirty play continued post lockout.

I have

Matt Cooke
Brad Marchand
Tom Wilson
Chris Pronger
Raffi Torres
PK Subban
Subban made your list? Lol ...ok. clearly he lives rent free in your head after all these years.

Doctor Coffin

This may hurt a bit...
May 23, 2013
Having witnessed the head shots Torres put on Seabrooke in the 2011 VAN-CHI series and Hossa in the 2012 PHX-CHI playoff series, just to name two blatant instances, I can assure you that Torres' reputation was no "bad rap" or unfairly received due to his "timing being slightly off."

Reactions: Hobnobs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad