Post-Game Talk: Did you hear the Jets beat CBJ 5-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wedgeden

Mar 31, 2012
Update - NHL Super 16 has moved the Jets to #1

NHL Power Rankings up to date from different sources around the league.

CBS Sports - Jets #1
The Hockey News - Jets #1
The Hockey Writers - Jets #1
TSN - Jets #1
NHL Super 16 - Jets #1
Clutchpoints - Jets #2
The Hockey Guy - Jets #1
Mike Harrington - Jets #1
ESPN - Jets #5 (from Jan 5)
Daily Faceoff - Jets #4 (Jan 8) (These guys reluctantly placed the Jets in 4th although one of the two guys placed them in 7th spot)
Oddsshark (computer generated - Lol) Jets #5
Sportsnet - Jets #2 (Jan 3)
The Score - Jets #4 (Jan 1)

Last edited:

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm kind of feeling at this point that the next time the Jets lose (probably in a week or so - it has to happen eventually) - I have no right to criticize them - and I won't. What an amazing season so far and an amazing team. I've been following the Jets ever since I was 9 years old when Bobby Hull signed with the WHA Jets. Other than the WHA years when we won the AVCO cups, this is the most excited I've been for our team.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I haven’t been posting because I’ve just been so busy with work I haven’t been able to watch or listen to any games. But still stop in to enjoy post game threads which are so much fun this year just like this team. Great season so far, keep it up!

To me, this post game pic from the game says it all about the team this year:

FB811C2A-5C89-4E1B-8CEB-87A28030AC5B.png

Scheifele take a puck to the ear and sits out the rest of the game then come out to celebrate the shutout win. Look at that smile and that body language compared to last season. This team is tight. They are working together and steamrolling the opposition right now.

I am loving that there are still no threads on the main board and no one other than “the hockey guy” will rank us higher than 4th in power rankings. I’d rather we fly under the radar, be taken lightly, and for the team to have an underdog chip on their shoulders.

EDIT: okay a few places have them higher power rankings but still that’s the minority.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I haven’t been posting because I’ve just been so busy with work I haven’t been able to watch or listen to any games. But still stop in to enjoy post game threads which are so much fun this year just like this team. Great season so far, keep it up!

View attachment 800445

Scheifele take a puck to the ear and sits out the rest of the game then come out to celebrate the shutout win. Look at that smile and that body language compared to last season. This team is tight. They are working together and steamrolling the opposition right now.

I am loving that there are still no threads on the main board and no one other than “the hockey guy” will rank us higher than 4th in power rankings. I’d rather we fly under the radar, be taken lightly, and for the team to have an underdog chip on their shoulders.
Yeah a picture is worth a thousand words
This post nails it

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Plane team absolutely went brrr today. Thought this was gonna be another trap game, but it was quite the opposite. Complete domination and suffocating team defence. Night and day compared to our defensive “structure” under Maurice and Huddy.

Bucky shutout, Pionk hip check, and Scheif coming back were highlights for me. Perfetti with a fantastic outing and Vilardi continues to perform whereas PLD is out for a skate.

Good time to be a fan of the Aircrafts. Atta boy, Planes!
I agree and feel that Huddy was a big reason the Jets D was less than stellar for many years.

This version of the Jets just plays responsibly most of the time and they have enough skill to be hard to play against. Really looking forward to the 2nd half of the season.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
I'm kind of feeling at this point that the next time the Jets lose (probably in a week or so - it has to happen eventually) - I have no right to criticize them - and I won't. What an amazing season so far and an amazing team. I've been following the Jets ever since I was 9 years old when Bobby Hull signed with the WHA Jets. Other than the WHA years when we won the AVCO cups, this is the most excited I've been for our team.

If there loss finally happens at home I hope the crowd gives a standing O in acknowledgement of the amazing streak.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Josh had no creativity in his game whatsoever. Always just doing the easy outlet, making the safe play that accomplished very little. This new Josh Morrissey is something completely different. It's amazing really. In my opinion he is best overall D in the entire league.
He said that Bones told him last year, to use his creativity and take chances. Bones took the reins off of him.

It was coached out of him as Maurice wanted a safe defensive minded dmen when JoMo made the team.
I always wonder what Laine could have been if they didn’t try to turn him into something he wasn’t.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He said that Bones told him last year, to use his creativity and take chances. Bones took the reins off of him.

I always wonder what Laine could have been if they didn’t try to turn him into something he wasn’t.

To me I think trying to get him to use his size to shield the puck wasn't the wrong play, but I do think they took it a bit too far with the power forward shtick.

I also think Laine could have trained and worked on his game much more as well.

One point I'd like to make about the idea of Connor being expendable, after missing as much as he has he's still tied for the team lead in power play points with 10. He'll be a huge help there when he returns.

He's absolutely not expendable. This team will need his goals at some point. We said all the same things about Ehlers last year when he was out and the team was winning. Eventually the fringe guys start playing like fringe guys again and you need goals.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012

View attachment 800445

EDIT: okay a few places have them higher power rankings but still that’s the minority.
Wheeler and PLD really had a negative impact on the team and individual players.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
If they're worried about not pissing off the current season ticket holder base, maybe they should work on building back that eroding trust instead of of trying to jack up the price three to five percent every year, year over year. The NHL is premium entertainment, but it can't be so premium as to not allow people the ability to afford it. Ticketmaster has section 100 seats at $200 a seat. That's insane for one night. I will happily sit in the 300s with the rest of the poors.

I'll still maintain the biggest issue for TNSE is how they treat currently STH. Someone alluded to it above, but it is bloody irritating talking to someone in the seat beside you that paid $45 less and got a beer and hot dog. Yes, it's Bud and the hotdog may kill you, that's not the point.

It probably doesn't help that the season ticket holder rep position is an entry level job either. Occasionally you get a good one, most are transient. Noting it is a thankless job. And there are only three of them for the regular seats.

Regardless TNSE did this to themselves over the years through arrogance. Justified (but unwarranted) perhaps in the first couple of years, but you had to be pretty short sighted to not see how the excitement would dwindle. Treating people like crap for ten or so years and then slowly waking up to reality isn't a particularly sound approach to retaining paying clients. They got rid of the profiteers fairly early on through natural attrition but never recognized many just wanted to be treated reasonably.

While it's true the corporate aspect needs to step up, TNSE successfully chased away a lot of corporate seat holders on the smaller scale by removing the ability to hand someone a physical ticket (formally printed or printed at home). Yes, the security aspect is real, but it doesn't help when a restaurant or similar business wants to hand tickets to someone spur of the moment as a reward, instead having to ask for emails. Do you give your email to random businesses willingly and not expect an ongoing chain of junk mail? Is it worth a pair of tickets? The logistics just don't work. I know of multiple restaurants that dropped sets of four P1 tickets on account of this. I approached my ticket rep about getting printed tickets AND paying for the printing as an additional cost to me, in the same fashion that the Vancouver Canucks do/did (can't say for this year, but my brother in law's law firm had tickets they paid to print and distribute to clients). Response was crickets.

Season tickets are not currently a good value proposition in that you can generally find most games aside from original six and a few others for less than STH are paying at STH prices. You're not paying (in my case) $260 for a pair of September pre-season games is one simple added benefit. That may well be offset to an extent if the Jets go far in the playoffs, as they may this year. But that benefit of reduced rates and first right of refusal for playoffs has had pretty darn limited benefit since 2011 so it's something of a hard sell. It will also get very, very interesting if the Jets make the finals. I'm not certain but I believe in P3 a single ticket for a single seat for a single game is over $500. Last year round one was $200 vs $125 regular season. Gets steep real quick. And yes, it's likely many would step up at the high prices, but many probably can't even consider it.

Try being responsive and flexible, without screwing over your current STH base. Still haven't figured that out even this year.

This will be my last year as a STH due to my group crumbling and I'm tired of recruiting. It will feel like breaking up with an abusive girlfriend I expect.

Last edited:

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
I'll still maintain the biggest issue for TNSE is how they treat currently STH. Someone alluded to it above, but it is bloody irritating talking to someone in the seat beside you that paid $45 less and got a beer and hot dog. Yes, it's Bud and the hotdog may kill you, that's not the point.

It probably doesn't help that the season ticket holder rep position is an entry level job either. Occasionally you get a good one, most are transient. Noting it is a thankless job. And there are only three of them for the regular seats.

Regardless TNSE did this to themselves over the years through arrogance. Justified (but unwarranted) perhaps in the first couple of years, but you had to be pretty short sighted to not see how the excitement would dwindle. Treating people like crap for ten or so years and then slowly waking up to reality isn't a particularly sound approach to retaining paying clients. They got rid of the profiteers fairly early on through natural attrition but never recognized many just wanted to be treated reasonably.

While it's true the corporate aspect needs to step up, TNSE successfully chased away a lot of corporate seat holders on the smaller scale by removing the ability to hand someone a physical ticket (formally printed or printed at home). Yes, the security aspect is real, but it doesn't help when a restaurant or similar business wants to hand tickets to someone spur of the moment as a reward, instead having to ask for emails. Do you give your email to random businesses willingly and not expect an ongoing chain of junk mail? Is it worth a pair of tickets? The logistics just don't work. I know of multiple restaurants that dropped sets of four P1 tickets on account of this. I approached my ticket rep about getting printed tickets AND paying for the printing as an additional cost to me, in the same fashion that the Vancouver Canucks do/did (can't say for this year, but my brother in law's law firm had tickets they paid to print and distribute to clients). Response was crickets.

Season tickets are not currently a good value proposition in that you can generally find most games aside from original six and a few others for less than STH are paying at STH prices. You're not paying (in my case) $260 for a pair of September pre-season games is one simple added benefit. That may well be offset to an extent if the Jets go far in the playoffs, as they may this year. But that benefit of reduced rates and first right of refusal for playoffs has had pretty darn limited benefit since 2011 so it's something of a hard sell. It will also get very, very interesting if the Jets make the finals. I'm not certain but I believe in P3 a single ticket for a single seat for a single game is over $500. Last year round one was $200 vs $125 regular season. Gets steep real quick. And yes, it's likely many would step up at the high prices, but many probably can't even consider it.

Try being responsive and flexible, without screwing over your current STH base. Still haven't figured that out even this year.

This will be my last year as a STH due to my group crumbling and I'm tired of recruiting. It will feel like breaking up with an abusive girlfriend I expect.
Perfectly summed up why we only lasted 4 years as STH. I remember going to our rep for years saying that we want to move to more expensive seats to have a better view or we won't renew. We received arrogant responses to the tune of, "oh everyone wants those seats we don't need to move you". So we left and haven't missed it at all. The trapping people in the arena, lack of paper tickets, brutal parking and safety situation, and Groupon deals cheaper than what STH pay was just the cherry on top.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
One issue I've heard from people (for context I had season tickets from 2011 to 2020 - COVID) is that when the club offers deals it's pretty disheartening to the existing STH's. People getting cheaper tickets and a free drink or something kind of rubs a person who committed for every game the wrong way. It's a delicate balance of attracting people back while not also losing from your ticket base. I'm not sure what the best answer is and obviously I want True North to do well so that the team does well. Tricky stuff.

The answer is simple, though unpleasant for the Jets. Give STH a better deal.
The alternative is to get more support from the business community.

There is a problem with too much business support, if there can be too much of a good thing. Ordinary people find they can't get tickets because they don't have a connection to a business with tickets for give away.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018

Things like this make me mad. How hard is it to offer printed tickets? Businesses planning to hand out tickets need that option.

How hard is it to give people a place to go for a smoke? I get that you're not supposed to smoke anymore, but lots of people still do.

Having moved from Alberta, bureaucracy is a huge problem in this province. People love to point to the rules and say no. No one wants to offer solutions. I've noticed it in government and the private sector. It's very annoying.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I didn’t want to believe it because I liked both players but it’s hard to argue with the evidence.
I agree. Wheeler made this his home when othersdid not want too and PLD has such natural skill but both gave off the ' me first' vibe , which is now all but confirmed caused locker room issues.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
One point I'd like to make about the idea of Connor being expendable, after missing as much as he has he's still tied for the team lead in power play points with 10. He'll be a huge help there when he returns.

Certainly
and it would be wrong to think of him as expendable. But they have shown that they can win without him.

I'm not pushing the idea but it could be just as beneficial to trade him for another player who would also improve the roster. A 2C or 2RHD for instance. People suggesting he might be expendable are presumably getting something in return for him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Vesalainen too for that matter.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Paying more for my tickets than the guy beside me was not the only reason I gave up my ST but it was a big one. But I am missing it. Exhibition games was another irritant. No way they are worth full price. Not sure they are worth half price.

Good point about the printed tickets for businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad