Post-Game Talk: Did you hear the Jets beat CBJ 5-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
i think ideally at the deadline you move out appleton, pionk, stanley, and a 2nd to bring in a #2 Centre and #2 D with a point shot to improve the PP (especially with connor back).
That's a lot of disruption to your locker room and not enough unless you are throwing multiple 1st round picks in to acquire the 2 positions you listed. Stanley can be moved with no issues as he has been a bit player for a while. Chevy is unlikely to move roster players (based on his previous work). I know on paper we need a second line centre but Namestikov seems to keep getting better and that addition basically moves him to the 4th line. It could actually backfire as he has been a very important part of our success. Let Chevy "Chevy" and we'll see what happens at the deadline. Also for what it's worth Pionk has been so improved this year. He was really hard to watch the last couple of years and took a lot of heat for poor play but he's working well this year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Josh had no creativity in his game whatsoever. Always just doing the easy outlet, making the safe play that accomplished very little. This new Josh Morrissey is something completely different. It's amazing really. In my opinion he is best overall D in the entire league.

He was creative in Jr, even in the AHL. He had that coached out of him for a while.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Yup.
May not be as good on paper as 18 (or even 85) but better on the ice - SO FAR.

Like many others, I still suffer PTSD from the past 5 seasons, especially last season. I can't help that nagging little voice in the back of my mind warning me of the impending collapse.

Also we have been relatively injury free with only the injury to KFC having a significant impact. Where would we be if Scheifele had been hurt worse last night? I don't think we can afford to lose Scheifele, Morrissey or Helle for any extended period. Otherwise we are deep enough to withstand some injuries, as long as it doesn't get really bad.

But I think the style they are playing will hold up better than in past years. It looks sustainable to me, as long as the buy in from the players holds up.
Vilardi also missed some significant time.
Lower down the lineup injuries to Heinola, Kupari, Gus and so on.
Generally I assume we have had less injuries than many clubs.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
The core of the 2017-18 team was much younger.

There had a handful of high-quality older vets (Perrault age 30, Little 30, Wheeler 31, Byfuglien 32, Enstrom 33, Stastny 32 after they traded for him), and a few players (but no stars) in their late 20s prime (Tanev 26, Chiarot 26, Myers 27, Kulikov 27).

This older, top-heavy roster was supplemented with a huge number of U25 (under 25 years of age as of Feb 1st, 2018) players who had big roles:
19: Laine
21: Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic
22: Morrissey
23: Trouba, Copp
24: Scheifele, Lowry, Hellebuyck, Armia
...this ignores bit players like Roslovic and Petan

Those players are now 6 years older. The older cohort has moved on, and the younger group is in their prime.

The current roster has almost no U25 players at all:
22: Perfetti
23: Gustaffson, Kupari (both currently on IR)
24: Vilardi
...that's it -- those are the only players on the current team who are younger than Mark Scheifele was in January 2018.

Hard to believe, but Vilardi is the 2nd youngest player on the team during this current winning streak.

Ages for the rest of the regulars in the current roster:
25: Barron, Samberg, Jonsson-Fjallby
27: Ehlers (6th youngest player on the team right now)
28: Appleton, Pionk, Morrissey, Connor
30: Iafallo, DeMelo, Hellebuyck, Lowry, Brossoit, Scheifele
31: Namestnikov, Niederreiter
32: Schmidt
33: Dillon

I don't want to make the argument in detail, but I think it's hard for even high-quality young players to win consistently in the NHL. We saw a little of that last night with Columbus, where half their roster is currently U25 including Fantilli (19), Jiricek (20), Sillinger (20), Kent Johnson (21) and Chinakhov (22).

So I think a hindsight memory of 2017-18 will tend to overrate how good the younger players were at the time, including Ehlers, Connor and especially Morrissey. That team relied a lot on the younger players, but they weren't quite as good yet as they've since become.

The current version of the Jets is much more in its prime.
Writes a page worth of solid argument supported by considerable detail and then writes:

"I don't want to make the argument in detail..."

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, but what team wouldn’t be hurt by losing their 1C, 1D and 1G for significant periods of time?

None, but I didn't mean all at once. :laugh:

Some teams have more depth at those positions so could cope better, at least for the 1C & 1D. Goal we could probably cope better than many, if not most.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
One issue I've heard from people (for context I had season tickets from 2011 to 2020 - COVID) is that when the club offers deals it's pretty disheartening to the existing STH's. People getting cheaper tickets and a free drink or something kind of rubs a person who committed for every game the wrong way. It's a delicate balance of attracting people back while not also losing from your ticket base. I'm not sure what the best answer is and obviously I want True North to do well so that the team does well. Tricky stuff.
If the offer a deal like "Sign up for season seats for the rest of 2024-25 and you can get STH prices on this year's playoffs" isn't really undercutting the current season ticket holders.

But I agree - you don't want to erode the value of season tickets or reward Johnny-come-latelies beyond what you're giving your most loyal customers.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

“It’s almost sad to say that you could have… that you could have been a part of (it),” Roslovic said.

...Says the guy that asked to be traded.

Can't fault a guy for wanting to go home. Too bad that home wasn't as nice a place as he would like it to be.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah, I didn't understand that either.

In their preamble, Monkeypuck says they take the reputational status (whatever that is) into account in their calculations. That's like an oxymoron with added enzymes.
Love the new avatar.:thumbu:

ello

Jun 12, 2018
It doesn't even feel like the jets are getting lucky on this streak. Really impressive top to bottom hockey they are playing. Again, I know this is not informed by any data, evidence, or critical thinking, but I feel that Adam Lowry is 100% responsible for the team playing like this.
I get it, I feel like this team is becoming the embodiment of Adam Lowry

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
One issue I've heard from people (for context I had season tickets from 2011 to 2020 - COVID) is that when the club offers deals it's pretty disheartening to the existing STH's. People getting cheaper tickets and a free drink or something kind of rubs a person who committed for every game the wrong way. It's a delicate balance of attracting people back while not also losing from your ticket base. I'm not sure what the best answer is and obviously I want True North to do well so that the team does well. Tricky stuff.

If they're worried about not pissing off the current season ticket holder base, maybe they should work on building back that eroding trust instead of of trying to jack up the price three to five percent every year, year over year. The NHL is premium entertainment, but it can't be so premium as to not allow people the ability to afford it. Ticketmaster has section 100 seats at $200 a seat. That's insane for one night. I will happily sit in the 300s with the rest of the poors.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
I think you see CBJ clean house at the end of the year, the deadline for them should be interesting do they let someone they are planning of getting rid of sell off players or stand pat and let whomever they hire re imagine the team in the off season.
They don't have much in the way of UFA's(Roslovic, who I am sure they will let walk if they can't trade him by the deadline), Brendan Gaunce(AHL injury filler) and Spencer Martin(who I doubt any team will be interested in).

The Gaudreau contract albatross around their neck will hamper them(no one will take that plug in a trade), as well as many other bad contracts (Laine, Merzlikins, Severson is making too much, as is Gudbranson (IMO).

Really not sure who they could trade, maybe Jenner or Kuraly or they try and move Werenski for a pile of assets. They need to decide who of their young crop of players are worth keeping going forward(Fantilli & Bean would be no brainers) but I don't know enough about the rest of them although Bemstrom seems to have been around for awhile and done virtually nothing so he might not get a qualifying offer.

A look at the prospects in the minors and elsewhere doesn't fill me with awe as most of the names are virtually unrecognizable. The poor job done by the GM will likely cost Vincent his job unfortunately.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If the offer a deal like "Sign up for season seats for the rest of 2024-25 and you can get STH prices on this year's playoffs" isn't really undercutting the current season ticket holders.

But I agree - you don't want to erode the value of season tickets or reward Johnny-come-latelies beyond what you're giving your most loyal customers.
Ya alot of private golf courses will give you a deal when you first join, waving the transfer fee, or you sign up in August and they give you a deal. Golf memberships are pretty expensive like season tickets are but if they give a good enough deal they now probably have you for next year and maybe beyond at regular pricing. Just need to give a nice incentive to get you in the door to begin with.

They don't have much in the way of UFA's(Roslovic, who I am sure they will let walk if they can't trade him by the deadline), Brendan Gaunce(AHL injury filler) and Spencer Martin(who I doubt any team will be interested in).

The Gaudreau contract albatross around their neck will hamper them(no one will take that plug in a trade), as well as many other bad contracts (Laine, Merzlikins, Severson is making too much, as is Gudbranson (IMO).

Really not sure who they could trade, maybe Jenner or Kuraly or they try and move Werenski for a pile of assets. They need to decide who of their young crop of players are worth keeping going forward(Fantilli & Bean would be no brainers) but I don't know enough about the rest of them although Bemstrom seems to have been around for awhile and done virtually nothing so he might not get a qualifying offer.

A look at the prospects in the minors and elsewhere doesn't fill me with awe as most of the names are virtually unrecognizable. The poor job done by the GM will likely cost Vincent his job unfortunately.
Toronto will probably get Gaudreau the dumb ass's .:laugh:

Last edited:

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB

“It’s almost sad to say that you could have… that you could have been a part of (it),” Roslovic said.

...Says the guy that asked to be traded.
Thge way the team is constructed atm there would be no place for Roslovic, anyways thanks for wanting out and enjoy whats left of your NHL career.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Very interesting, and very enlightning post, I guess that's way they call you Gm0ney :) I'll have to read that over a couple times, to really digest all that. I wonder how sure you are, of what you posted ? sounds like you know what your talking about.

I must say, I'm very impressed with the way Betman has built this NHL game up, especially in tough markets like Florida, Texas, and California. He's made it so that struggling teams, have a chance to build their team, pile up a winning record, and build up their gate revenues and fan bases. He's done a fantastic job IMO, even tho many don't like him, I think he's a very smart businessman.
Most of the revenue figures are public knowledge. We don't know exactly what the splits are - but it was reported (by Dreger?) that Canadian teams get an extra cut of the Rogers TV deal. Anyway, it's all back-of-the-envelope guestimates.

$5.2B Rogers Sportsnet deal: Deal gives Rogers rights to all NHL games through 2025-26
$400M/year Disney/ESPN deal: N.H.L. Returns to ESPN in a 7-Year Deal With an Emphasis on Streaming (Published 2021)
$225M/year Turner deal: N.H.L. and Turner Sports Reach 7-Year Media Rights Deal (Published 2021)

For local rights, Ottawa signed a 12-year, $400M deal with TSN for regional broadcasts back in 2014. That's $33.3M/year. I ballparked the Jets below that - about $20M/year...but that may still be high considering the difference in region populations.

I used $1.4B for sponsorship revenue, but I'm seeing it reported elsewhere at $1.28B (NHL Teams Tally $1.28B in Sponsorships Led by Credit and Booze). And there's no split between local vs. league-wide sponsor revenue - but the NFL is about 57-43 League vs. Local so using that ratio would mean the Jets get $22.8M per year from league sponsorship. Plus whatever they drum up locally...helmet ads, arena naming rights, scoreboard ads, "official [whatever] of the Winnipeg Jets" etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if overall Jets revenue is pushing $200M/year. $125-150M is probably a safe bet.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Most of the revenue figures are public knowledge. We don't know exactly what the splits are - but it was reported (by Dreger?) that Canadian teams get an extra cut of the Rogers TV deal. Anyway, it's all back-of-the-envelope guestimates.

$5.2B Rogers Sportsnet deal: Deal gives Rogers rights to all NHL games through 2025-26
$400M/year Disney/ESPN deal: N.H.L. Returns to ESPN in a 7-Year Deal With an Emphasis on Streaming (Published 2021)
$225M/year Turner deal: N.H.L. and Turner Sports Reach 7-Year Media Rights Deal (Published 2021)

For local rights, Ottawa signed a 12-year, $400M deal with TSN for regional broadcasts back in 2014. That's $33.3M/year. I ballparked the Jets below that - about $20M/year...but that may still be high considering the difference in region populations.

I used $1.4B for sponsorship revenue, but I'm seeing it reported elsewhere at $1.28B (NHL Teams Tally $1.28B in Sponsorships Led by Credit and Booze). And there's no split between local vs. league-wide sponsor revenue - but the NFL is about 57-43 League vs. Local so using that ratio would mean the Jets get $22.8M per year from league sponsorship. Plus whatever they drum up locally...helmet ads, arena naming rights, scoreboard ads, "official [whatever] of the Winnipeg Jets" etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if overall Jets revenue is pushing $200M/year. $125-150M is probably a safe bet.

Olfert indicated they got a TV deal inline with what the Alberta teams get as we get similar viewership numbers.

Reactions: Gm0ney

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
He doesn't get much love here, because he isn't flashy and doesn't put up a lot of points. I usually end up watching the opposing team's broadcast, and gets a lot more praise there. The Coyotes' broadcast group didn't stop talking about that line, and how they matched against the other team's top lines night after night, and continuously 'tilted the ice' in the Jets' favour. The Boston crew talked about the luxury of having that line to send out when you needed to 'change the pace' of the game, after a momentum swing. San Jose's crew mentioned Lowry became the Captain, because he is an example of a guy that never takes a shift off, and is always there for a teammate.
Wheeler was a big part of this team for many years, I won't downplay his contribution but it seemed like Wheeler had a public persona and a private persona that were very different(think of an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other_ and the last few seasons it seemed to me he bacame somewhat of a narcissist where he was more about himself than about the team despite openly saying the opposite.

Lowry could very easily have been made captain a few seasons ago but it never would have worked while Wheeler was still here. Lowry is the same guy 24/7 and as has been mentioned never takes a shift off and is all about the team.

Scheifele with the exception of the 2nd half of last season where he regressed back to the guy only playing on half the ice has been a different player since the C was taken away from Wheeler and then moved on. Lowry has 2 more seasons beyond this one and hopefully he wants to stay longer. He can be the Captain until he decides to hang up his skates IMO.

Reactions: hn777 and DiggerD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille