Post-Game Talk: Did you hear the Jets beat CBJ 5-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Interesting comment, and you could well be right - I guess you are. An extra 30 % of playoff revenues is still a nice bonus tho.

What I'd like to know is this -- if anybody knows ??

1) How much of a teams revenues comes from TV revenues ? as I heard the greatest percentage comes from this area ?

2) Is there revenue sharing, for clubs that are struggling ? so the clubs that are making big money, give a percentage to struggling teams ?

3) When a franchise is sold ( like Seattle) what percentage would each team receive from that sale ? I heard the Jets received $ 25 million, on the Seattle sale.

4) Are there any other revenue streams I'm missing ??

Be interesting to know how the pie is split up ?

Very roughly speaking -
1) Jets revenue from TV and ticket sales would be about equal. Edit: I mean national broadcast rights + regional there. Teams in big markets get a lot more for their regional TV rights than the Jets do.

2) Yes there is revenue sharing. I don't know how far that goes.

3) Each team gets a big chunk of the expansion fees but I don't know how much the league takes off the top.

4) Advertising, concessions, gear sales.

I repeat, my answers are very rough. Go to the Business of Hockey on the main boards for much better answers

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ok I'm thinking it, so I'm gonna say it (no jinx):

Are we witness to the best NHL hockey team in the history of Winnipeg?

The 84-85 Jets finished with 96 points and lost in 4 straight to the Oilers juggernaught after thumping the Flames in the first round. You may remember that that pos Jamie Macoun viciously crosschecked Hawerchuk in the ribs and knocked him out of the Oilers series.

The 17-18 Jets finished with 114 points and lost in the Conference final 1-4 against the Knights.

This team is on a 119 point pace, and dare I say it's playing a better style of hockey than the 17-18 team.

We're more structured, and better defensively. The 17-18 team used scoring more to win games.

Yup.
May not be as good on paper as 18 (or even 85) but better on the ice - SO FAR.

Like many others, I still suffer PTSD from the past 5 seasons, especially last season. I can't help that nagging little voice in the back of my mind warning me of the impending collapse.

Also we have been relatively injury free with only the injury to KFC having a significant impact. Where would we be if Scheifele had been hurt worse last night? I don't think we can afford to lose Scheifele, Morrissey or Helle for any extended period. Otherwise we are deep enough to withstand some injuries, as long as it doesn't get really bad.

But I think the style they are playing will hold up better than in past years. It looks sustainable to me, as long as the buy in from the players holds up.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
This team is winning without great special teams and i would rather have it that way than having to depend on getting PP's to win games. Some are not seeing how good this team is right now, just listen to opposing coaches and players what they say after playing the Jets. They aren't saying that's a good team but their special teams suck, they are saying that's a good hockey team over there, that's how we want to play eventually.
Exactly coaches and players have been saying this for a while about the Jets unfortunately the sports media has not. The sports media are focused too much on the Leafs their cash cow .. does that sound familiar on what's happening in today's World?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
1) Broadcast revenues - there are local deals (like TSN and CJOB) that are probably $20M-$30M per season for the Jets. They would get all of that I think. National deals - the Sportsnet deal averages about $433M/year and the Canadian teams see a larger share of that revenue but I don't recall how much larger...but say something like $15M/year for a Canadian team). The US national TV deals are about $650M/year - so that's about $20M per team if it's split evenly. So the Jets get about $55M from TV revenues. This is probably about the same as they get from ticket sales.

2) Yes, but I'm not sure of the formula. The Top 10 pay into revenue sharing and the rest get a piece of that revenue.

3) Yes, expansion (and relocation) fees are split between the existing franchises (although Vegas didn't get a share of the Seattle expansion fee IIRC).

4) Yes, lots. Sponsorship revenue is huge: $1.4B in 2022-23 - that's local sponsorship and league sponsorships, so it's not a simple $43.75M per team, but some of the local money would filter down from the Top 10 revenue teams via the formula in point 2) and league sponsorship deals would be split. Low end is probably $20M?

The 70% of playoff gate the league takes is split as well - about $200M/season ($6.25M/team).

Merchandise licensing is also league revenue. So the Jets get a little piece of every Leafs jersey sale. No idea what that adds up to.

Basically, with a 50-50 revenue split between owners and players and the current revenue sharing, even the weakest teams should be able to make a go of it...
Very interesting, and very enlightning post, I guess that's way they call you Gm0ney :) I'll have to read that over a couple times, to really digest all that. I wonder how sure you are, of what you posted ? sounds like you know what your talking about.

I must say, I'm very impressed with the way Betman has built this NHL game up, especially in tough markets like Florida, Texas, and California. He's made it so that struggling teams, have a chance to build their team, pile up a winning record, and build up their gate revenues and fan bases. He's done a fantastic job IMO, even tho many don't like him, I think he's a very smart businessman.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think this is the most complete team we have had to this point of the season with the exception of the power play and doing this while taking out 20% of your scoring makes it all the more impressive. Finishing first in the central is something people who mused about a rebuild including myself would never of dream of this year.

I think that we couldn't yet see the entire impact of F depth. We all pretty much knew for several years that we needed better depth but until it arrives and you see it in action it is hard to see how big it is.

The funny thing is that we got a big boost in that last year with the acquisitions of Nino and Names but it took a while for that to fully show. Vilardi and Iafallo replaced PLD and Wheeler on the roster so the better depth is really about Nino and Names. Of course Vilardi and Iafallo are better defensively than those 2 guys they replaced so that is playing a part too.

Buy in has to be playing a big part too. Quite a few other players are having improved/bounce back seasons. Maybe the coach deserves a little credit too. :laugh:

Bowness has alot to do with this.

Sounds a lot like Pascal did.
blah balh structured blah structured blah blah blah structured blah structured. :laugh:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
It doesn't even feel like the jets are getting lucky on this streak. Really impressive top to bottom hockey they are playing. Again, I know this is not informed by any data, evidence, or critical thinking, but I feel that Adam Lowry is 100% responsible for the team playing like this.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
forgot the obligatory squirtle sax

1704917036957.gif

1704918342949.jpeg

Last edited:

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I think an earlier poster got things right - a team playing like the Jets are currently playing is very difficult to beat,even with underperforming specialty teams. But the season is only half over - can the boys keep this level of play/commitment up for the remainder of the regular season and then a gruelling post season? Nobody knows for sure but lets enjoy and observe how things unfold.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Yup.
May not be as good on paper as 18 (or even 85) but better on the ice - SO FAR.

Like many others, I still suffer PTSD from the past 5 seasons, especially last season. I can't help that nagging little voice in the back of my mind warning me of the impending collapse.

Also we have been relatively injury free with only the injury to KFC having a significant impact. Where would we be if Scheifele had been hurt worse last night? I don't think we can afford to lose Scheifele, Morrissey or Helle for any extended period. Otherwise we are deep enough to withstand some injuries, as long as it doesn't get really bad.

But I think the style they are playing will hold up better than in past years. It looks sustainable to me, as long as the buy in from the players holds up.
Yeah, but what team wouldn’t be hurt by losing their 1C, 1D and 1G for significant periods of time?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think an earlier poster got things right - a team playing like the Jets are currently playing is very difficult to beat,even with underperforming specialty teams. But the season is only half over - can the boys keep this level of play/commitment up for the remainder of the regular season and then a gruelling post season? Nobody knows for sure but lets enjoy and observe how things unfold.
Yup totally agree and lets remember also Connor and Vilardi have only been on our #1 PP at the same time for a couple of games. I would like to see both of them out there for a few games and see how we look then .

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Imagine both Maurice and Bowness having fantastic success after parting ways with Captain Wheeler.

Probably a coincidence.
rangers must be stinking up the joint?

but really, bowness has said the culture is vastly different compared to last year. & when he was hired as well as point through last he referenced issues with accountability, effort etc. who does that fall on :dunno:. it seems like this team is more cohesive and clicking better than it has since 17-18.

then ofc you add in personnel improvements w/ nino, namestnikov, vilardi, and prominent players like ehlers, perfetti, pionk and morrissey playing at higher levels than last season.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Marketing should be offering some 2nd-half season ticket packs + a season seat commitment for next year with the playoff ticket discount carrot for this year. Fill the arena down the stretch and lock in for next year. Or with a commitment to season tickets next year, you get a discount on available playoff tickets this year. Capitalize on the excitement of having a contender. Strike while the iron is hot. Maybe add some carrots for businesses if that's the segment they want to grow (I dunno...free jersey with your business name - or whatever - on the back for each seat commitment, limited free graphic ad in on the ribbon or scoreboard if that's available).
One issue I've heard from people (for context I had season tickets from 2011 to 2020 - COVID) is that when the club offers deals it's pretty disheartening to the existing STH's. People getting cheaper tickets and a free drink or something kind of rubs a person who committed for every game the wrong way. It's a delicate balance of attracting people back while not also losing from your ticket base. I'm not sure what the best answer is and obviously I want True North to do well so that the team does well. Tricky stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia