Did the expansion draft hurt or help the Leafs?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Simple question did the expansion draft hurt or help the Leafs?

It could hurt us by taking a key player away from our roster or hurt us by helping another Eastern team by giving them cap space and thus more flexibility, etc.

It could have helped us by taking a contract we didn't want or it may have taken a key competitor away from their team, IE Methot ,making them a weaker team, etc.

Maybe it didn't help or hurt us.

Interested to hear your thoughts

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Taking away Karlsson's partner Marc Methot in Ottawa and depositing him in Dallas is just one move that helped the Leafs via the expansion draft.

Leafs assisted that though by sticking them with Phaneuf's NMC contract.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Boston, Ottawa and Montreal lost top 4 D.

We lost a Marlie.

Significant positive impact for us thanks to how our division rivals with considerable more experience were harmed by losing some of that experience while we lost none of ours through that process.

This off season has been a huge win in general for us. Most teams we're trying to measure up against lost players and couldn't afford to add any. We lost Boyle but added Moore, Hainsey, Marleau.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

We lost a Marlie.

Significant positive impact for us thanks to how our division rivals with considerable more experience were harmed by losing some of that experience while we lost none of ours through that process.

This off season has been a huge win in general for us. Most teams we're trying to measure up against lost players and couldn't afford to add any. We lost Boyle but added Moore, Hainsey, Marleau.

Do you think the impacts on our rivals is enough to make them a bubble team or a non-playoff team?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Do you think the impacts on our rivals is enough to make them a bubble team or a non-playoff team?

We were trending ahead of those teams in the second half of the season.

The league is so bunched up, anyone can finish anywhere, but I am fairly confident we were going to fiinish ahead of those three teams regardless of what happened with the expansion draft.

Tampa is the team I see as our main rival.

Last edited:

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I voted significant benefit to the Leafs. Most if not all playoff teams were negatively affected by the draft except the Leafs, so that alone is a huge benefit. As it has turned out, the Leafs needed that contract spot Leipsic took anyway. :)

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

We lost a Marlie.

Add in that Florida lost their 3rd leading scorer in Marchessault and then traded Rielly Smith for only a 4th rounder.

Tampa also had to pay Vegas a 2017 2nd + 4th rounder + a good Russian prospect in Nikita Gusev to take Jason Garrison. Having traded all those futures away gives them less trade currency.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Major negative man...

Losing Leipsic is going to be huge.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

I think that any change made where we come out with more talent or opponents come out with less talent puts us closer to winning a Cup.

The expansion draft stripped depth away from teams that are in some cases 4 or 5 years ahead of us development and experience wise at most positions. As our talent develops and consistency improves all those minor changes add up to our kids arriving as a top 2 or 3 team that is feared in 30 other markets sooner rather than later.

Now does that happen this year? It could. Injuries are my only fear. I fully expect our big 3 to spit in the face of any talk of a sophomore slump and increase their point totals. If our goaltender is healthy for a full season, which he wasn't last season, then there's no reason to not expect top 3 in the division....if not #1.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
It helped us get Liljegren. Winnipeg was a real threat to steal him away from us as they consistently take BPA.

It also allowed Vegas to obtain 2 picks ahead of us, which they didn't use on Liljegren.

Leipsic isn't a huge loss, comparatively.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

We lost a Marlie.

Add in that Florida lost their 3rd leading scorer in Marchessault and then traded Rielly Smith for only a 4th rounder.

Tampa also had to pay Vegas a 2017 2nd + 4th rounder + a good Russian prospect in Nikita Gusev to take Jason Garrison. Having traded all those futures away gives them less trade currency.

Agree with the 2 posts above.

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Loved the weakening of Ottawa's defense.

Too bad Vegas soiled the bed with the choices they made. There should have been a real opportunity for us to get a good defense man from them.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
:amazed:

Genuinely shocked that the obvious isn't so obvious.

Many of our conference rivals lost a quality NHLer or gave up picks. We lost an unproven AHL winger we were going to lose anyways.

There is no doubt we are better off, the question is how much.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Expansion came at a pretty good time for us. I suspected for about a year we would lose Leipsic (well documented) and I never saw him as a huge loss, we basically gave up a 3rd round pick or there abouts.

We saw a few teams in the East lose players that mattered but we only saw a handful of good players leave the East. Fact is Vegas could have been more helpful but McPhee did not try to assemble the best on ice team possible. I think if we went team by team we would see it was a bit of help (Ottawa in particular) but no one was crippled either.

I'd call it a slight help to us.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Expansion came at a pretty good time for us. I suspected for about a year we would lose Leipsic (well documented) and I never saw him as a huge loss, we basically gave up a 3rd round pick or there abouts.

We saw a few teams in the East lose players that mattered but we only saw a handful of good players leave the East. Fact is Vegas could have been more helpful but McPhee did not try to assemble the best on ice team possible. I think if we went team by team we would see it was a bit of help (Ottawa in particular) but no one was crippled either.

I'd call it a slight help to us.

This time it did but the next expansion draft when Seattle, Quebec City or Ottawa get their NHL team, our best will just be coming into their prime.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
This time it did but the next expansion draft when Seattle, Quebec City or Ottawa get their NHL team, our best will just be coming into their prime.

I wouldn't say it's a when but an if. For all we know we could have a 31 team NHL for the next decade. Expansion is nothing to worry about. Matthews could be 50 before the NHL ever hits 32 teams.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
It helped us get Liljegren. Winnipeg was a real threat to steal him away from us as they consistently take BPA.

It also allowed Vegas to obtain 2 picks ahead of us, which they didn't use on Liljegren.

Leipsic isn't a huge loss, comparatively.

Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad