News Article: Athletic "Dysfunction In The Desert" Story

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I didn't recognize the name. That's how long it's been. I have a pic of him somewhere buried in old photos at the game. He was in the section right next to where my seats were talking to people and shaking hands. I remember thinking damn, this guy must really be serious. Another let down in a long line of nothing but let downs.
Yeah, I think I was in 108 at the time, if I’m not mistaken you were in 109?

Ended up a minority owner with Minnesota.

What’s your point? They approved Spano and a long dirty laundry list of others, as well.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

What’s your point? They approved Spano and a long dirty laundry list of others, as well.

So I knew of the John Spano story re: the Islanders, and that as a result he was in prison for 6 years.

That led me to his Wikipedia page. What I did not realize was that, after his release, he was then in prison for another 4 years for another fraud charge, and is now back again and nearing the end of a 10-year sentence for more fraud.

Since 2000, Spano has spent about 20 years in prison as a result of different fraud charges.

If you have not seen it, the ESPN documentary on Spano is quite good. It's available online somewhere.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I might be sticking my foot in my mouth but, I think Barroway actually cared about the team. Yes, he had an ugly incident. Him and his son, as opposed to Alex and Alex Jr. seemed like decent people. Barroway's son was always at the draft and he was active on twitter being only supportive of the team. If Shane Doan was ok with him to his suite for Josh's NHL debut, then I trust Shane over almost anyone.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Spano would've been in the top half of Coyote owners :nod:

He was some combo of Hulsizer and Jamison (I have the money....I really do). Just a bit more corrupt.

No issue with Barroway. Didn't meddle. Just didn't have enough money.
The Doan situation was on is watch, and also didn't hire a Hockey Ops Pres to keep an eye on Chayka.

Reactions: SniperHF

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Yeah 109 Row C. The face off circle on the side the Coyotes shot twice so during Tippett's tenure I got to see very little action :(. Loved those seats but if I they were still there I'd be buying seats in 111 Row T probably this season to see what I was expecting to be a young team contending for a playoff spot. That was my favorite spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Take it for what it's worth. Also, Bettman was on the Clayman Countdown (Fox Business) yesterday..... he's staying on point and not wavering the NHL line.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Take it for what it's worth. Also, Bettman was on the Clayman Countdown (Fox Business) yesterday..... he's staying on point and not wavering the NHL line.

Bettman never will.

Even if there’s massive pushback on what Ryan Smith wants and the Utah 2024 team ends up like Coyotes 1996 again.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Never will admit Ryan Smith isn’t who they thought he was.

Seeing way too many parallels here.
I'm pissed we lost the Coyote's, but I understand why, so I wish Utah success.

Never will admit Ryan Smith isn’t who they thought he was.

Seeing way too many parallels here.
The only difference is Smith has the Mormon Church to bail him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad