Did the expansion draft hurt or help the Leafs?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
No complaints. We lost a guy playing in the AHL from a position of strength and we're coming off a year in which we made the playoffs. Leipsic might make the NHL as a regular this season, but it wasn't likely to happen here.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Second? Wait just a second, lets let them get one first then we can talk about the second one.

I hate the Senaturds, however, I think they got a lot closer to playing for a Stanley Cup than our Leafs and many other NHL teams.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I hate the Senaturds, however, I think they got a lot closer to playing for a Stanley Cup than our Leafs and many other NHL teams.

And how did that work out for them?

Nobody considers Ottawa a threat. They were on the right side of a weak bracket. Someone had to come out of it.

But it's not like they won anything. If anything the playoff run exposed how fractured the organization is from its own fan base right now.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Are we talking EA Sports?

If Ottawa had a pro NHL team I'd know about it.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!

yup and we lost every game to them this past season, this year will be different:yo:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Do you think the impacts on our rivals is enough to make them a bubble team or a non-playoff team?

Well...Boston (like us and somewhat Ottawa) was a bubble team last season, and if Montreal doesn't do anything else, they are in trouble. The Isles lost Hamonic, i don't know if the Rangers are better or worse. Going to be an interesting season.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Well...Boston (like us and somewhat Ottawa) was a bubble team last season, and if Montreal doesn't do anything else, they are in trouble. The Isles lost Hamonic, i don't know if the Rangers are better or worse. Going to be an interesting season.

It can probably be said for most teams but if we have any significant injuries this year we could easily be a lottery team. We just don't have the NHL depth at the AHL level to cover for injuries.

If we lose Jake, Morgan or Zaits for any extended period, I just don't think we have the depth to step up, imagine if we lose 2 of them at the same time for an extended period? We can kiss our playoff hopes good bye.

If we lose a couple of wingers for extended periods we might be able to patch work something.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

Rangers swapping Stepan for Shattenkirk may not mean near as much as moving Raanta and bringing in Pavelec.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Leipsic, no room.

He may be an NHL player but whose spot was he ever going to steal in this lineup? Babcock wants more size, the bias was against him here.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Only in LeafLand do some folks think Leipisic is ever going to be a significant NHLer.

He has been a minor leaguer for three years and is 23 years old. Watch him play. His cute little plays won't work on NHL Dmen. He was in the AHL for a reason.

Good Luck to him in the future though. He has his best shot coming up this year to make an NHL statement.

Can't imagine why people think that the Babcock and the Leafs held back his NHL progress. Do you really think the Leafs would keep someone in the AHL that would help them at the NHL level?

Krylian

Jul 25, 2007
They lost an asset for nothing. Not a huge asset, thus a minor negative impact.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Leafs are going to alot better next season. My prediction end between 1-4 standing in east. Yes, think they can do it as Habs not any better, Sens lost decent defenseman, and Bruins were lucky to get into playoffs. As for Sabres think they be better than was last year depending on injuries. If we get that prized dman we always needed in top 4 role should be fighting it out with Habs for top spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad