Diablo IV

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Absolutely loving this game. I've put in close to 100 hours into the game. Can't wait to see how Season 1 plays out.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
My thoughts after playing for awhile and being a “rookie” in the series sort to speak.
-Just on a macro level the game is super fun. Just walking around and killing stuff and not having to be amazingly skilled like a FPS shooter is nice.
-I’m someone who just plays a game to play my way and enjoy it. I hear “meta” builds all the time and still have no idea what it means really. I googled some things to wrap my head around all the skill options but ultimately I pick what looks cool. In F076 I use an archer build and people always hate on it. I’m using a Druid build.
- I saw a lot of people complaining about seasons and how you have to start a new character every time. I actually really really like this method. I tried to play ESO for the first time a few months ago and was just overwhelmed with everyone so high level already and also the story being confusing on how to just play the regular “story to start” and get through that first. Everyone resetting is kinda cool IMO.
-Overall I won’t sink a ton of hours into this though. I’m going to finish the story and maybe play a season or two in the future and hopefully they add DLC stories to be played.
-All the gear and inventory management is definitely a lot sometimes. I know it’s the nature of the beast and it’s just the style of game, but I definitely spend more time than I want sometimes sorting and getting rid of gear. Not a big deal though.

A cool game for sure and right now im almost done with act 1. I hear the Druid build sucks but I’m having fun with it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
My thoughts after playing for awhile and being a “rookie” in the series sort to speak.
-Just on a macro level the game is super fun. Just walking around and killing stuff and not having to be amazingly skilled like a FPS shooter is nice.
-I’m someone who just plays a game to play my way and enjoy it. I hear “meta” builds all the time and still have no idea what it means really. I googled some things to wrap my head around all the skill options but ultimately I pick what looks cool. In F076 I use an archer build and people always hate on it. I’m using a Druid build.
- I saw a lot of people complaining about seasons and how you have to start a new character every time. I actually really really like this method. I tried to play ESO for the first time a few months ago and was just overwhelmed with everyone so high level already and also the story being confusing on how to just play the regular “story to start” and get through that first. Everyone resetting is kinda cool IMO.
-Overall I won’t sink a ton of hours into this though. I’m going to finish the story and maybe play a season or two in the future and hopefully they add DLC stories to be played.
-All the gear and inventory management is definitely a lot sometimes. I know it’s the nature of the beast and it’s just the style of game, but I definitely spend more time than I want sometimes sorting and getting rid of gear. Not a big deal though.

A cool game for sure and right now im almost done with act 1. I hear the Druid build sucks but I’m having fun with it.

I think Druid is one of the stronger late game builds at the moment. The meta builds are for hardcore players who are looking to get all of the rare gear and fight at he highest levels possible. For what you're doing it really doesn't matter what build you go as long as you're having fun and not getting hard stuck.

The reset will suck if particular things are reset because of the time suck (it's not skill based for the most part), specifically the renown. I haven't looked into what will or won't be reset so I have no idea if that'll happen or not.

They are definitely releasing two expansions so that'll add some more fun later on down the road.

Inventory management is just weird at this point and they don't seem sure what to do with it. Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 really emphasized making decisions on gear. There was a rubik's cube element to it. Players figured out a workaround to the inventory management in Diablo 2 and at that point it seems like Blizzard tried to lessen the burden of it since it making tough decisions wasn't really part of the game anymore with the workaround. Now they seem stuck halfway. They haven't offered nearly enough space for people to keep all of the cool gear they find, especially if it's shared for multiple characters. I also find the sorting function to be completely useless and needs improvement. I find the towns and spacing of the different vendors to be really annoying as well and I'm not sure why they did that. At this point I wish they'd scrap most vendors and just allow me to sell things from my inventory. Having to constantly go back to town to salvage or sell is obnoxious and doesn't add anything to the game besides being annoying.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
There is a developer stream today at 1PM PST and they'll be going over Season 1 during it.

Edit: Uhhhhh. Looks like I saw the time wrong. It's live currently (2:03PM EST)

Last edited:
Reactions: PK Cronin

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
First season about to go live with the battle pass. Interested in seeing what this means.

Also Diablo Immortal has the first new class for a Diablo game since 2014, the Blood Knight or Vampire Knight...some think it will be added to D4 at some point also, like at an expansion.

1688759864453.png

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm officially bored.

I played a necromancer and have gotten to level 75-ish and I'm just about done with the game until more content releases. Playing is now like a chore rather than fun. I'm collecting items that are trash just to see if they have a valuable attribute on it and then trying to manage my inventory, seeing if it's better than the ones currently in my stash. It's now about managing my items and less about having fun killing things.

There's one more region I have to complete the final renown step in and other than that I have the Uber Lilith to look forward to. It's burdensome to re-config your build because of the amount of time and inventory management it takes to do something different.

The campaign was fun, I'm glad I played, but the thought of them adding more items seems more frustrating than exciting. There are already way too many attributes to pay attention to that adding more will be even more overwhelming for people like me.

I'll still play a bit but I'm looking for another game to play already.

Last edited:

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Had my XBL crash three times right as I got to the end of the "Brought Low" chapter of the game (searching the Market Square for Oyuun)

...by the third time I slid down that ladder to access the area the shine had worn off.

Last edited:

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I'm officially bored.

I played a necromancer and have gotten to level 75-ish and I'm just about done with the game until more content releases. Playing is now like a chore rather than fun. I'm collecting items that are trash just to see if they have a valuable attribute on it and then trying manage if it's better than the ones currently in my stash. It's now about managing my items and less about having fun killing things.

There's one more region I have to complete the final renown step in and other than that I have the Uber Lilith to look forward to. It's burdensome to re-config your build because of the amount of time and inventory management it takes to do something different.

The campaign was fun, I'm glad I played, but the thought of them adding more items seems more frustrating than exciting. There are already way too many attributes to pay attention to that adding more will be even more overwhelming for people like me.

I'll still play a bit but I'm looking for another game to play already.
Yeah I’m at level 30 and it’s getting a bit repetitive. Every other quest is to just enter some dungeon where they’re all the same thing.

I’m not even close to beating the game yet and I’ll definitely beat it. I just came here to look for game recommendations that are the exact opposite of Diablo IV for when I want to switch things up for a little while.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah I’m at level 30 and it’s getting a bit repetitive. Every other quest is to just enter some dungeon where they’re all the same thing.

I’m not even close to beating the game yet and I’ll definitely beat it. I just came here to look for game recommendations that are the exact opposite of Diablo IV for when I want to switch things up for a little while.

The variation in the storyline comes from the boss battles, otherwise it's all pretty straightforward and repetitive. You're never shocked by any of the new enemies. Once you get all the skill points you can experiment with some new builds but there are only a few that are viable for the later game (if you want to keep playing) so it kind of sucks when you are tinkering with something but then get hard stuck.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
10/10
This game cures insomnia! A few NM dungeon runs with my bone spear necro (pictured below) and I’m conked out

Campaign was fun; I’d love to fight those bosses again at higher difficulties!

fetchimage

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

I tapped out around the same time. Got around lvl 30-35, can't remember, and I found myself bored and not interested in playing. I don't find the gameplay compelling, but it is definitely more fun playing co-op than solo. Then the game is just a background distraction while we're chatting.

Not sure I'll return to it at this point.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I tapped out around the same time. Got around lvl 30-35, can't remember, and I found myself bored and not interested in playing. I don't find the gameplay compelling, but it is definitely more fun playing co-op than solo. Then the game is just a background distraction while we're chatting.

Not sure I'll return to it at this point.

Yeah, it started it very good, but quickly it became a shallow mess. Regret posting that I enjoyed it as I quit around the same time you did. What a rip-off.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyersnorth

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Yeah, it started it very good, but quickly it become a shallow mess. Regret posting that I enjoyed it as I quit around the same time you did. What a rip-off.
Same here. I enjoyed it a lot early on. However, my wife and I went on a cruise shortly after it released and I haven't returned since. Diablo IV, as others said, feels like a chore. Which is a problem that is plaguing a lot of modern games these days IMO. D2R and even D3 are still significantly more fun than D4.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I didn't start playing until season 1, so I'm still enjoying the hell out of this game. I just completed the campaign on veteran world state, but I finished at like lvl 53 cause I did every side-quest and dungeon I encountered along the way. Now I'm jumping into the Malignent stuff.

I'm playing a twisting blades Rogue, and man it's just fun dashing around enemies and staking them in the guy with poisoned knives, then covering my escape with traps.

Reactions: beowulf

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Same here. I enjoyed it a lot early on. However, my wife and I went on a cruise shortly after it released and I haven't returned since. Diablo IV, as others said, feels like a chore. Which is a problem that is plaguing a lot of modern games these days IMO. D2R and even D3 are still significantly more fun than D4.
Speaking of Diablo 3 the final season of new content is going to start tomorrow I think? Or early September I forget the date, they will still have seasons after that but recycled old ones, nothing new.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Season 2 will be starting up at 1PM EST for those interested.

Seems like they made a decent amount of changes and enough to where I have seen people get excited to play this season to see how it all plays out.

Thinking that I'll try out a Rogue build this time around and see how it all feels.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Season 2 will be starting up at 1PM EST for those interested.

Seems like they made a decent amount of changes and enough to where I have seen people get excited to play this season to see how it all plays out.

Thinking that I'll try out a Rogue build this time around and see how it all feels.

I've fallen for this too many times and won't be doing it again. Hopefully it's good for those who play but I'll probably wait for the expansion to come out in a few years.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Loved this game when it released and enjoyed S1 as well but i have no desire to play it anymore. Which stinks because im in the minority that thinks it was and is a good game despite its flaws in the past.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
There’s alot more to do in season 2 than season 1.

Diablo 4 is basically my podcast game of choice, so anytime I wanna decompress with a cold beer, through on a podcast, Ill play it. Trying Barbarian this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad