Rumor: Dhaliwal- The return for Guentzel starts with Lekkerimaki or Willander. Pens/Canucks

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
To be honest I'd pay up if I were Vancouver. Their run this year is really lightning in a bottle. I wouldn't expect sustained domination year after year.

Like miller is near or at the age guys usually start slowing down.

They have a lot of guys to re-sign or replace this summer.

Goalies are voodoo, themko could get hurt or lay an egg next year.

Hughes will potentially walk to New Jersey when his contact is done. He's also scoring at a pace not likely to be duplicated next year.

Petey is playing amazing for a big contract.

They're not super injured for once.

Perry doing whatever and getting fired let them dump beauvillier and his big cap hit for free.

Their pipeline isn't set up for sustained success. Winning and attracting free agents would be the better play ala Pittsburgh back in the day.

This team is built to win this year and they should be doing as much as they can to make that a reality. Winning would also entice guys like Lindholm to stay for less and Petey to take a discount. It would also give pause to Quinn Hughes to want to go play with his brothers.

Guenztel was great for the pens in the back to backs. Personally I don't get it for the pens cause lekkerimaki doesn't move the needle for their current core or really fit as a cornerstone piece in a new core.

If anything I feel like the pens are very similar to Vancouver except their team is having everything go wrong instead of right this year. They could easily end up grabbing Philly's third place metro spot with their games in hand and the Islanders collapsing even harder under Roy. If they had cap space I would have pegged them as buyers.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Dubas will sign Jake at his price. He also knows he can replace jake in aspects of LW play with another type of LW, Size, scoring tough and going to hard areas of the ice and a physical fore check.
I agree with this from Dubas' angle but we don't know what is driving Guentzel. He wants more cash? Or is this like Lindholm? Does he want to join a team with a brighter future?

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
To be honest I'd pay up if I were Vancouver. Their run this year is really lightning in a bottle. I wouldn't expect sustained domination year after year.

Hughes will potentially walk to New Jersey when his contact is done. He's also scoring at a pace not likely to be duplicated next year.

Perry doing whatever and getting fired let them dump beauvillier and his big cap hit for free.

Their pipeline isn't set up for sustained success. Winning and attracting free agents would be the better play ala Pittsburgh back in the day.

This team is built to win this year and they should be doing as much as they can to make that a reality. Winning would also entice guys like Lindholm to stay for less and Petey to take a discount. It would also give pause to Quinn Hughes to want to go play with his brothers.

Guenztel was great for the pens in the back to backs. Personally I don't get it for the pens cause lekkerimaki doesn't move the needle for their current core or really fit as a cornerstone piece in a new core.

If anything I feel like the pens are very similar to Vancouver except their team is having everything go wrong instead of right this year. They could easily end up grabbing Philly's third place metro spot with their games in hand and the Islanders collapsing even harder under Roy. If they had cap space I would have pegged them as buyers.

It's hard to say before we see how the trade plays out but trading someone like Willander and get bounced in the first round would probably end up with Vancouver fans chasing Alvin out of town. It would have been fun to see them shoot for the stars with Guentzel but i understand why they took the path they took.

I still don't see why posters are so obsessed with brothers in the NHL. The Sedins were an exception because they had that wierd twin energy, if anything i think it would be a pain in the ass for a GM to have to deal with it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Of course it is. I meant that Van already has elite primary scoring and that maybe it's best to elevate the D for a more balanced team. Because if you're bottled-up in your own zone, makes no difference how many scorers you have. At least IMO. Maybe they don't need a D upgrade, you'd know better than me. Guess it depends on priorities. :)
I wouldn't know better, just advocating Guentzel's value. He gets slept on here. 👍

Truth be told, I'd rather not deal him at all for that reason.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Can't do the max deal with a declining roster. Jake is not good enough to drive the play without Sid or a near prime Geno. Pens need to get back max value here. Plus Pens can find a LW to play with Sid that presents a different package like a Kunitz type only bigger.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Can't do the max deal with a declining roster. Jake is not good enough to drive the play without Sid or a near prime Geno. Pens need to get back max value here. Plus Pens can find a LW to play with Sid that presents a different package like a Kunitz type only bigger.
Who is that? That player had to actually exist and be available.

And why prioritize moving Guentzel here - with the most irreplaceable skillset - over Rust/Smith/Rakell?

To me, it's just fans wanting some lukewarm jumpstart to the post-Crosby era.

Reactions: Giskard

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013

Your post was good for a chuckle. I don’t think you have a handle on Vancouver’s situation at all.

Reactions: CherryToke

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I wouldn't know better, just advocating Guentzel's value. He gets slept on here. 👍

Truth be told, I'd rather not deal him at all for that reason.
Ah, I thought you were a Canucks fan because of the Brian Burke avatar. Makes more sense now. I always think of Burkie as a Canuck from all those years I was in Vancouver. Cheers!

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010

When has it ever worked to go all in?

If you trade Lek or Willander how are you ever getting better in the future?

I think we already made our big splash. We may add a touch more but very little chance we move on from Lek or Willander.

And just for the record because it's the title of this thread. Dali never said Guentzel would take Lek or Willander to get. He even came out to clarify that he said "a top prospect". Lek and willander should not be and I doubt ever would be available for a rental.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
If I’m the Pens, I’m not discussing a trade unless it’s a top prospect + (plus being a middling NHL player and a 1st)

Too many people want to hold onto their prospects like they will ever amount to a Guentzel. Truthfully that’s what the hope is for some of the top prospects to amount to what Guentzel has.

Yes teams should be worried about the rental aspect of it and what the future cap/team structure will look like making that kind of trade but trust me going for it and winning a Stanley cup and then reshuffling the chairs is 1000x better than almost being good enough.

Some teams around the NHL owe it to their fans to go for it and not just merely say “we want to keep our top prospects in hopes they ever materialize.”

Pittsburgh has done shit the right way. They sold basically everything to have almost 15 years of constant playoff success and Stanley cups. They had management that saw that prospects and picks didn’t really mean much. (Easier for them to say that about the prospects because they truly didn’t have a game breaker) And now they are staring in the face of what those decisions resulted in. Great success. But a dark age where they will be awful for some time.

Long winded post but let me put some notes here.

Not implying it should be the Canucks making a big swing. Like others have said, their cap structure and massive contracts coming due don’t make much sense. They need some guys to fill holes where money can’t be spent.

For other teams that are more financially sound, it would be extremely stupid to not at least see what the Penguins want for a PPG winger who excels when it matters most.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
If the rumors are true that Guentzel rejected 6 years 50,000,000 it should tell management that its not about the money and he's leaving as an unrestricted free agent

Last edited:

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
If I’m the Pens, I’m not discussing a trade unless it’s a top prospect + (plus being a middling NHL player and a 1st)

Too many people want to hold onto their prospects like they will ever amount to a Guentzel. Truthfully that’s what the hope is for some of the top prospects to amount to what Guentzel has.

snipped the rest......
That's 100% on point. However, if I'm the Canucks and the price is Willander and/or Lekkerimaki, for a playoff rental...I'm likely not biting. If it's a trade and sign, maybe a different story. Especially in light of just signing Lindholm. But I can certainly see the temptation, and this is not a knock on Guenzel's value.

But that's only the Canucks and other teams may have different situations.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

Maybe stick to assessing the Habs because your way off on pretty much everything except having a lot of UFA'S.
JT plays a style that doesn't rely on speed and athletes today are not dropping off in the same way they did for a variety of reasons.

Quinn Hughes will not be joining the devils because his brothers play there, do you work at a place because of a sibling? There's also the fact that a cap exists, he's our captain and him and Luke both play the same side, it's just a silly pipedream.
As for production from him and EP, you realize they haven't entered their prime yet right? To say these are outlier seasons is just ridiculous with no actual reason to think it is.
Our prospect pool is in sound shape with Lekkerimakki, Willander, Podz, Raty EP² and a few other pieces. We don't even need a bunch of stars since we have a core mostly under the age of 26.
Every team has voodoo with goalies but the nucks have the best goalie coach who handpicks who gets drafted and is in love with Silovs and Tollepiolo, I think we're gonna be ok.

Your whole post is basically all what ifs and worst case scenarios and incorrect takes.

I mean no offense but the Habs don't have one game-breaking player and still don't have a proven 1c, 1D, or 1G.
You guys have no choice but to hope someone becomes one of those or draft one and wait for them to reach that potential.
Vancouver has all the tentpole pieces and all are elite, we just need most of our prospects to become support players and even then some already look like they are going to become more than that.
The window is just opened and not anywhere close to being shut

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Maybe stick to assessing the Habs because your way off on pretty much everything except having a lot of UFA'S.
JT plays a style that doesn't rely on speed and athletes today are not dropping off in the same way they did for a variety of reasons.

Quinn Hughes will not be joining the devils because his brothers play there, do you work at a place because of a sibling? There's also the fact that a cap exists, he's our captain and him and Luke both play the same side, it's just a silly pipedream.
As for production from him and EP, you realize they haven't entered their prime yet right? To say these are outlier seasons is just ridiculous with no actual reason to think it is.
Our prospect pool is in sound shape with Lekkerimakki, Willander, Podz, Raty EP² and a few other pieces. We don't even need a bunch of stars since we have a core mostly under the age of 26.
Every team has voodoo with goalies but the nucks have the best goalie coach who handpicks who gets drafted and is in love with Silovs and Tollepiolo, I think we're gonna be ok.

Your whole post is basically all what ifs and worst case scenarios and incorrect takes.

I mean no offense but the Habs don't have one game-breaking player and still don't have a proven 1c, 1D, or 1G.
You guys have no choice but to hope someone becomes one of those or draft one and wait for them to reach that potential.
Vancouver has all the tentpole pieces and all are elite, we just need most of our prospects to become support players and even then some already look like they are going to become more than that.
You are forgetting a key thing. it is a nice run thus far, but out of the top 10 players in the entire NHL with 40GP, Vancouver has 5 of them with the top shooting %.

That part is not sustainable.

Expand it to top 12 and Vancouver has 6 of them

You cannot expect a team to account for 50% of the top NHL shooting %'s

• Haha
Reactions: Three On Zero

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Who is that? That player had to actually exist and be available.

And why prioritize moving Guentzel here - with the most irreplaceable skillset - over Rust/Smith/Rakell?

To me, it's just fans wanting some lukewarm jumpstart to the post-Crosby era.
Yeah, honestly, if the Pens are "rebuilding" they should be moving out the Rusts/Smiths/Rakells of the world; guys who make decent change but don't move the needle much for what the Pens are trying to do this year or in the future.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Your post was good for a chuckle. I don’t think you have a handle on Vancouver’s situation at all.
No, I'm just not delusional and ignore that 31 other teams get better or worse every year and sustained success is very difficult to attain and Vancouver has already missed the playoffs with the same core.

Sorokin and Shesterkin were untouchable as goalies even two years ago and are already human. Other have gone from starters to backups from year to year. Demko hasn't exactly been godlike for many consecutive seasons to suggest he's not going to have this issue year to year.

I remember 2011 very well and I wouldn't accuse Vancouver fans of having a grasp on reality at that time either. Is there any Vancouver fan that thinks they shouldn't have paid more at the deadline that year?

They added nobody while Boston added kaberle, peverley, and Kelly. And to be honest they would have been eliminated in the first round without those three, they only won in game 7 or vs the Habs and all three were key player, especially peverley and Kelly dominating the faceoff dot. At least two of the three either scored or had a primary assist in all four of Boston's wins.

I'd argue they even would have been swept without those three.

The sedins were the same age as Miller now. Kesler was the same age as Petey. Elder the same as Hughes. Did Vancouver ever have another cup contending year after that? No. The league changes fastz Vancouver are a team that should have been good for the last three years, they're not a young team just starting their peak like Chicago in 2010.

Schroeder and the first rounder(Nick Jensen) were untouchable for guys like penner, versteeg, or whoever else may have been available with term.

The current Vancouver team is just as top-heavy as the 2011 team. It's three forwards and two dmen scoring the majority of the points. The second and third lines are both producing like third lines. Lindholm was a good add but an injury to Pettersson or Hughes would derail the season.

Few of them are playoff seasoned either. Miller has been a choker most of his career. Cole is over the hill. That's most of Vancouver's playoff experience there. Lindholm hasn't been great there either. Guenztel is exactly what Vancouver needs and they could probably re-sign him, Lindholm and Petey if they overpaid for some young d on ELCs/term contracts to compensate.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
No, I'm just not delusional and ignore that 31 other teams get better or worse every year and sustained success is very difficult to attain and Vancouver has already missed the playoffs with the same core.

Sorokin and Shesterkin were untouchable as goalies even two years ago and are already human. Other have gone from starters to backups from year to year. Demko hasn't exactly been godlike for many consecutive seasons to suggest he's not going to have this issue year to year.

I remember 2011 very well and I wouldn't accuse Vancouver fans of having a grasp on reality at that time either. Is there any Vancouver fan that thinks they shouldn't have paid more at the deadline that year?

They added nobody while Boston added kaberle, peverley, and Kelly. And to be honest they would have been eliminated in the first round without those three, they only won in game 7 or vs the Habs and all three were key player, especially peverley and Kelly dominating the faceoff dot. At least two of the three either scored or had a primary assist in all four of Boston's wins.

The sedins were the same age as Miller now. Kesler was the same age as Petey. Elder the same as Hughes. Did Vancouver ever have another cup contending year after that? No. The league changes fastz Vancouver are a team that should have been good for the last three years, they're not a young team just starting their peak like Chicago in 2010.

Schroeder and the first rounder(Nick Jensen) were untouchable for guys like penner, versteeg, or whoever else may have been available with term.

The current Vancouver team is just as top-heavy as the 2011 team. It's three forwards and two dmen scoring the majority of the points. The second and third lines are both producing like third lines. Lindholm was a good add but an injury to Pettersson or Hughes would derail the season.

Few of them are playoff seasoned either. Miller has been a choker most of his career. Cole is over the hill. That's most of Vancouver's playoff experience there. Lindholm hasn't been great there either. Guenztel is exactly what Vancouver needs and they could probably re-sign him, Lindholm and Petey if they overpaid for some young d on ELCs/term contracts to compensate.
Your assessments make for a good afternoon laugh, please keep posting them

Reactions: Fraser28

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Adding Guentzel at this point would be stupid and a waste of assets. Guentzel doesnt even fill a hole.

"Going for it" would be emptying the cupboards for a player like Pietrangelo that would actually fill the biggest hole.

Reactions: Fraser28

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013

Another round of baseless worst case scenario projections that you could do for literally any team. Yawn.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023

This is a very astute answer. They should not hesitate to go all in because they have to go through Edmonton and Vegas. I would say even LA will give them a handful if they get that Wildcard spot.

Going back to my other post, the Canucks have 6 shooters at 20% right now and the 7th is barely under at 19.7%

it's been quite a run.

Last year, ZERO of these 7 players shot at 20% on Vancouver. Two were acquisitions from outside (Lafferty and Suter)

This year is basically PEAK for Vancouver. I mean, they are in 1st. Everything going right. They would be foolish to get too attached to prospects.

Reactions: Ezpz

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Please name a multitude of forwards who entered their prime at 25 and peaked after that. Statistics prove most peak around 23. There are counter examples of course but it's not something you bet money on. It's very likely these past two seasons are his statistical peak.

Also please name the power forward who aged well into his 30s. Speed or not.

Analysis has nothing to do with what team I like. The Habs sucking doesn't mean Vancouver is immune to collapsing or that this year isn't their clearest path to the finals.

Just a few years ago the Habs finished ahead of Vancouver and went to the finals playing in the same division when Vancouver largely had the same core pieces as now. With that same core they missed the playoffs two more times.

Calgary collapsing due to guys wanting out is as big a reason as any for Vancouver stepping up. Or Edmonton's early season struggles both teams finished ahead of Vancouver the past three years. Or the fact that Vancouver has mostly played against lower seeded teams thus far with only one game against Vegas and none against Winnipeg yet.

So far they're 1-3 against western contenders like Dallas, Vegas and Colorado. They haven't played Boston yet. Your management isn't silly enough to ignore that since they paid such a price for Lindholm.

Colorado is looking to get Landeskog back next season which puts them clearly ahead of Vancouver in the pecking order. Dallas has everything Vancouver has and elite prospects on top of it. This could really be a one time chance for a cup.

Reactions: mkatcherin00

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Don't think the Pens end up moving Guentzel and let the team finish the season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad